Just bought my Versys 1000 today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By VersysCurses
  • 1 Post By hurricanebob
  • 2 Post By VersysCurses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just bought my Versys 1000 today

I'm still fairly new to riding (about 2 years). This was my upgrade from an 05 Suzuki boulevard m50. I have to say, I might as well take my riding experience and throw it in the garbage, because this bike rides and handles SO much differently. This is definitely going to take some getting use to.

I think I have a curse to never be able to have pristine things, because after getting back home from a little test ride around my neighborhood, I came to the bottom of my driveway, started to stop, and felt the bike start tipping right. No worries - I'll just catch it with my right foo-OH****OH**** womp. I didn't have the leverage to keep it up. That's my luck - brand new bike and already laid her down. Hence the name I chose. Oh well, not the end of the world, only some minor scratches on the right saddlebag and some scratches to the muffler guard and grip guards. But that was a real eye opener. I think I'm gonna pursue the motowerks lowering kit and possibly a lower eat. I can ALMOST flat foot it, but that's a huge difference from the low riding Boulevard I'm use to. I'm sure some more experience on this bike is going to help too.

Anyway, just wanted to share my story and hope to learn some things from you guys.
onewizard and 407guy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 07:00 AM

Welcome aboard.

Sorry about your oopsie, but at least you got it over early in the game.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 09:39 AM

I came from a 2003 Ninja 250, which had a pretty low seat height - I could flat foot that bike easily. When I bought the 2009 Versys I knew that it had a taller seat height, and it was a little uncomfortable at first and took some getting used to. Sorry you dropped your bike, and at least you were at a standstill. I have been riding the Versys now for three months, and have gotten used to the seat height. I am 5' 8" and can put both feet on the ground, but just the toes more or less, and have also learned to slide a little to one side and flat foot one leg motocross style. That being said, once the bike gets moving it rides and handles like a dream, a real UJM if there ever was one!
NightRider likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum,I had my 07 go over in the dealer showroom, twice in my garage, when I was moving the bike on the right side, stand went up. On the 2015 once in gravel 6 inches deep on a county road, and once on pavement when I miscued a sudden start and had to hard right and brake at 1 KM/HR , just shows push steering works, went over on the left side, no injuries , just a few scratches. Now the bike has character
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VersysCurses View Post
I'm still fairly new to riding (about 2 years). This was my upgrade from an 05 Suzuki boulevard m50. I have to say, I might as well take my riding experience and throw it in the garbage, because this bike rides and handles SO much differently. This is definitely going to take some getting use to.

I think I have a curse to never be able to have pristine things, because after getting back home from a little test ride around my neighborhood, I came to the bottom of my driveway, started to stop, and felt the bike start tipping right. No worries - I'll just catch it with my right foo-OH****OH**** womp. I didn't have the leverage to keep it up. That's my luck - brand new bike and already laid her down. Hence the name I chose. Oh well, not the end of the world, only some minor scratches on the right saddlebag and some scratches to the muffler guard and grip guards. But that was a real eye opener. I think I'm gonna pursue the motowerks lowering kit and possibly a lower eat. I can ALMOST flat foot it, but that's a huge difference from the low riding Boulevard I'm use to. I'm sure some more experience on this bike is going to help too.

Anyway, just wanted to share my story and hope to learn some things from you guys.
Going from an M50 to a Versys 1000 is definitely a huge change in so many ways! How many miles did you put on the M50. That is so much more important than owning one for about 2 years.

I recommend you sign up for an advanced rider course with your new bike. The engine is the same engine that is in the Ninja 1000. That is a lot of bike for a fairly new rider.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

I've put about 10,000 miles on the boulevard. You might be right about an advanced rider course being in order, though. I felt very comfortable riding the boulevard and never felt like it was more bike than I could control, but so far with the V, i definitely feel that way. The torque is unreal, both rolling on and off. I have it set to low power and intend to keep it that way until I feel like I have solid control on the handling. I'm honestly afraid to give it any serious lean. My boulevard felt like it was hugging the road, this bike feels like it's got a hairline contact point and flying above the road. The sales guy warned me at the dealer about the new tires being slick, so I think I have that psyching me out a bit too.

Also, got a newbie question. I feel like there's quite a bit of engine braking going on, even when I have the clutch fully engaged. Is that all in my head or is there something going on here? I definitely don't like it - I want this bastard to coast when i pull the clutch in!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 09:44 AM

Good luck with the new bike and everyone drops their bike at one time. The Honda ST1300 forum has a space for how many times you have dropped your bike. I've always put as many crash bars on my bikes as I can. Currently have Engine guard and now luggage guards on the Versys. Here is how I covered my scratched side case prior to me getting luggage guards. Dropped it right after putting on engine guards and it still scratched the side case and broke the hand guard plastic Stock hand guards are not as good as "real" dual sport ones like Barkbusters with a solid metal band around not the stupid split Kawasaki used Still, the stock hand guards will save your levers in case your bike decides to lay down and take a nap.

The rear luggage guards work great, I've found out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4015.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	125082  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersysCurses View Post
I've put about 10,000 miles on the boulevard. You might be right about an advanced rider course being in order, though. I felt very comfortable riding the boulevard and never felt like it was more bike than I could control, but so far with the V, i definitely feel that way. The torque is unreal, both rolling on and off. I have it set to low power and intend to keep it that way until I feel like I have solid control on the handling. I'm honestly afraid to give it any serious lean. My boulevard felt like it was hugging the road, this bike feels like it's got a hairline contact point and flying above the road. The sales guy warned me at the dealer about the new tires being slick, so I think I have that psyching me out a bit too.

Also, got a newbie question. I feel like there's quite a bit of engine braking going on, even when I have the clutch fully engaged. Is that all in my head or is there something going on here? I definitely don't like it - I want this bastard to coast when i pull the clutch in!

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry about laying her down, everyone does it sooner or later, I laid mine because of a disc lock i forgot was on... very embarrassing.
Re your question, your bike should have zero resistance with clutch pressed. Try to tighten your clutch a bit.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My Versys 1000 is much easier to put up than my FJR was...............

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 12:34 AM

You will come to love the Versys! I traded my 750 Nighthawk for my 2015 Versys, only because my wife said I couldn't have two bikes in the garage. Not that I had a lot of room, but I only miss my Nighthawk every so often and then I ride my Versys and remember why I upgraded.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

NO worries on laying the bike..at some point we all did it..

Enjoy your ride and be safe..get the lower kit and get your confidence back and after sometime you can have be on stock setting. You will love the versys.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

So after some closer inspection, I figured out one of my problems.... When I dropped it, I broke/bent the hand guard and it was pushing in the front brake a little bit (doh). So yeah, after fixing my stupidity it's no longer dragging with the clutch in (imagine that!). Thanks all for the tips and encouragement!
onewizard and NightRider like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Same thing happened to me TWICE with my new Versys 650 mate, don't get discouraged.
And yes, I'm cursed too! All my life ****ty luck! lol
But I'm not giving up, it will take a lot more than a couple of scratched handlebars to stop me!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 01:15 AM
MS.

Man, that's gotta hurt. Sorry about the spill. Welcome.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 5 days into owning mine and haven't dropped it yet but I'm sure the day will come. Crash bars, crash bars, crash bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode