First Bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Blizithe
  • 1 Post By chrisfla1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
First Bike

Hey everyone. I picked up a '17 650 on Tuesday to help with my commute. This is my first bike and I'm pumped. I grew up riding dirt and occasionally stealing my dad's street to ride to school. That was a long time ago but now I have my own.

I'm excited to get back on a bike. I'm in the East Bay (CA) and looking forward to riding. Could use some info on accessories and mods. Looking for led fog lights, tail box and center stand. I would appreciate anyones input.
turn8a and 407guy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hepco & Becker make a nice center stand, but it'll cost ya -- about $300. I'd like to have one, too, but I just can't see spending that much money. On the other hand, it sure would make a lot of the maintenance a lot easier! Congrats on your new Versys!

***I just checked their website, and apparently they are out of stock; perhaps you can find one somewhere else...***
aboyandhisversys likes this.

2015 650 Versys
Iron Butt Association
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain

Last edited by chrisfla1; 07-28-2017 at 07:36 AM. Reason: error
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 09:22 AM

Garage
For driving lights I use Denali D2. They are small, dual intensity, and only use about 5W. They come with different lens for fog but I have not tried that feature. The biggest downside is they are about $350. I got mine half off used. Here is a post from my install: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-brackets.html

There are a lot out there just need to do some research to find what meets your needs.

For top racks, there are lots of options and combinations to choose from. Givi and SW Motech are some popular choices.

Good luck out there and watch out for those crazies.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I'm looking at a top case myself, and the Shad cases seem like a pretty good and reasonably priced option. They make OEM stuff for BMW and others, so quality is good, they're just not widely available in the US yet.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizithe View Post
Hey everyone. I picked up a '17 650 on Tuesday to help with my commute. This is my first bike and I'm pumped. I grew up riding dirt and occasionally stealing my dad's street to ride to school. That was a long time ago but now I have my own.

I'm excited to get back on a bike. I'm in the East Bay (CA) and looking forward to riding. Could use some info on accessories and mods. Looking for led fog lights, tail box and center stand. I would appreciate anyones input.
- I have non branded LED lights purchased from AliExpress. They work well, as well as the more expensive branded ones. Look for narrow beam, high light output (~4000lm/per light). You will probably want to also purchase a custom Versys specific mount from Kawasaki, SW-Motech, Denalli or other manufacturer. See LED threads on this site for more info. WIre to your high beam circuit and forget extra switches.
- I've owned two Versys and never felt the need for a kickstand, you will however need spools and a rear pit stand. Spools are cheap on ebay and you'll need the 8mm, 10mm on older V's, with your bike. I would ride your Versys for a while before purchasing a kickstand. You may find that you don't really need one. It is easier to work on bike with pit stand than kick stand and it is much cheaper and does not add weight to bike. You will however need either a pit stand or kick stand to work on bike. The advantage of a pit stand is you can use it with a front triple tree stand to remove front wheel or work on forks, something you will need to do. You cannot use a front stand without a rear stand. In the rare situation you find yourself on the road and need to lube your chain without a pit stand, just roll the bike forward a little at a time, to move the chain, while on the side stand.
- Engine bars are a great accessory to protect your bike
- Givi come in two quality levels Mono Lock and Mono Key. They function and stand up the same but one is flexible plastic and one is hard ABS plastic with a nicer looking finish - that is really the only difference. The base plates are different for each too. Shad are similar to the cheaper line from Givi.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-28-2017 at 11:47 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizithe View Post
Hey everyone. I picked up a '17 650 on Tuesday to help with my commute.
Congrats!

Me too. Purchased my 650 for commuting. It's fantastic.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium [ Sold: Feb. 2019 ]
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 07:52 PM

And I'd recommend Shad for your top case.

SHAD Motorcases for Motorcycles, Scooters, Maxi-Scooters, ATV's

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium [ Sold: Feb. 2019 ]
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
- I have non branded LED lights purchased from AliExpress. They work well, as well as the more expensive branded ones. Look for narrow beam, high light output (~4000lm/per light). You will probably want to also purchase a custom Versys specific mount from Kawasaki, SW-Motech, Denalli or other manufacturer. See LED threads on this site for more info. WIre to your high beam circuit and forget extra switches.
- I've owned two Versys and never felt the need for a kickstand, you will however need spools and a rear pit stand. Spools are cheap on ebay and you'll need the 8mm, 10mm on older V's, with your bike. I would ride your Versys for a while before purchasing a kickstand. You may find that you don't really need one. It is easier to work on bike with pit stand than kick stand and it is much cheaper and does not add weight to bike. You will however need either a pit stand or kick stand to work on bike. The advantage of a pit stand is you can use it with a front triple tree stand to remove front wheel or work on forks, something you will need to do. You cannot use a front stand without a rear stand. In the rare situation you find yourself on the road and need to lube your chain without a pit stand, just roll the bike forward a little at a time, to move the chain, while on the side stand.
- Engine bars are a great accessory to protect your bike
- Givi come in two quality levels Mono Lock and Mono Key. They function and stand up the same but one is flexible plastic and one is hard ABS plastic with a nicer looking finish - that is really the only difference. The base plates are different for each too. Shad are similar to the cheaper line from Givi.
Great info. Great suggestions. Thank you.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitramde View Post
For driving lights I use Denali D2.
That's what I've been looking at. Thinking of picking up the OEM light mount and grabbing the Denali lights. The OEM light kit (lights and mount) is north of $500. And the lights don't look that nice. Thanks for the info.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
Congrats!

Me too. Purchased my 650 for commuting. It's fantastic.

Awesome.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016...548034546.html ($75/pr and what I installed)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2X30...803477473.html (an even brighter option)

$75 to $150/pr for unbranded LED lights, quality and performance is similar to much more expensive branded products from Denali. Note I used a Versys specific mount instead of the included mounts with lights. Light output is significant enough to make high beam headlight a faint glow in comparison and they give me much more illumination than I have in my car with two headlights. In comparison each of these produce 3600 lumens of light (for a total of 7200 lumens at 60w total for 2 lights (2.5 amps per light @ 12v)) while a standard incandescent high beam bulb (9004 type bulb used in most cars (uses 65 watts per bulb)) puts out 1200 lumens. These are wired to the high beam head light on the Versys so they switch on and off with the standard high beam switch.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-01-2017 at 05:59 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode