Soon to be V rider - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up Soon to be V rider

Hi Everybody!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't own a V just yet, but am shopping for a decent used one after my '82 Maxim 400 had valves meet pistons. I plan on rebuilding the engine, but I know that getting parts for a 35 year old bike can take time. So I'm shopping for a bike that requires less maintenance, has better parts availability, and is better suited for "3.5 season" riding in southern Ontario, Canada.
407guy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
16VGTIDave likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Welcome From Southern Ontario

to the forum, just a few minutes away.
16VGTIDave likes this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome from a few miles (or should that be kilometers?) south of you in San Antonio, Texas.
16VGTIDave likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
A wish decision to get a Versys to cut the losses.
16VGTIDave likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm excited, but trying to be cautious after looking at a Black 2011 V last night. 2nd owner, 4,099 km (2,547 miles) on it (What???? I have already ridden double that this season!) and includes Givi tall windscreen and hard saddlebags, a pit stand, and cover. And the bike is otherwise original, including the tires, brake lines, pads and fluid. The battery was replaced last year. The bad news is that the asking price is about $1k higher than I think it should be, and the seller didn't seem willing to negotiate. He seems to think super low mileage increases value above market value. I disagree.

There is a 2011 V at a dealer an hour away with 18,500 km (11,495 miles) and includes windshield, engine guards, seat, mirror extenders, rear rack, etc that is asking $4,700. I like farkles!

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Post where

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm excited, but trying to be cautious after looking at a Black 2011 V last night. 2nd owner, 4,099 km (2,547 miles) on it (What???? I have already ridden double that this season!) and includes Givi tall windscreen and hard saddlebags, a pit stand, and cover. And the bike is otherwise original, including the tires, brake lines, pads and fluid. The battery was replaced last year. The bad news is that the asking price is about $1k higher than I think it should be, and the seller didn't seem willing to negotiate. He seems to think super low mileage increases value above market value. I disagree.

There is a 2011 V at a dealer an hour away with 18,500 km (11,495 miles) and includes windshield, engine guards, seat, mirror extenders, rear rack, etc that is asking $4,700. I like farkles!

Since you have a low post count it isn't possible for me to send a PM, however you can state what city this dealer is in I I can then advise, if it is Guelph my advice would be to keep looking, if in Delhi I would jump at it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Since you have a low post count it isn't possible for me to send a PM, however you can state what city this dealer is in I I can then advise, if it is Guelph my advice would be to keep looking, if in Delhi I would jump at it.
Thanks, I've tried dealing with the folks at 2 Wheel (or whatever that are just north of Guelph) in the past. They didn't earn my respect, and their prices are high. The bike I'm interested in is at Inglis Cycle in London (a used 2011 Black Versys 650 with farkles) and has a conditional offer on it. But they would be happy to tell the other "buyer" to put-up or shut-up as he has been a nuisance...

I'm open to all suggestions, tips and tricks. I know that I need to process a lot of info in a short time to get up to speed with these bikes. I hate buying in a rush almost as much as I hate not being on the road and earning a living!

Dave

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.

Last edited by 16VGTIDave; 07-26-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: speeling eror...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome!
16VGTIDave likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the welcomes!

A couple things to keep in mind, brake fluid should have been changed on either bike, since you didn't say the other asking price I would assume it is higher than the dealer. Several members on this forum have dealt with Inglis and from what I have heard they are a upstanding dealer.
The one I referred to is where I got my 07 from, let me say I drive to Delhi to the dealer I bought my 2015 650 ABS Versys, for parts , even when it is 5'C, and it is 5 times the distance of the Guelph one, you hit on part of the reason why, let me say since this is a public forum, I have said and been told if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything, and that is where I will leave it.

Also many of us have found the valve shims to be off spec particularly on the exhaust, my 2015 was done by me at just under 10,000 KM, I found 1 tight exhaust and several that were just spec. This is a very expensive service, I am in the process of updating my recent valve shim in the How To Forum, however Fasteddie has also posted about 95% of what I did in the same thread.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...djustment.html

One thing to be aware of if you pay to have it done, ask for the before measurements of each valve and the after measurements of each valve. There have been several pay for this service in the under $400 price and told everything is spec, but absolutely no measurements given to the customer, expect that some of those it was simply a money grab.
I am sure a few more members will come along with good advice, thanks for posting.
16VGTIDave likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 07-26-2017 at 01:28 PM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up It is done!

It is official, I'm a V owner!

2011 650 in black. 18,500 km. Givi windshield, stock windshield, front fender extender, SW-Motech engine guards (with highway pegs) and skid plate. The factory lower engine plastics that were removed. A RAM mount on the bar. Mirror extenders. A Luimoto seat cover with silver accents. Ventura rear rack with both the Pack rack and grab handle, 2 Aero-Spada packs, rain covers. Battery tender. Spools on the rear. All rolling on fairly fresh Michelin Pilot Roads.

The only faults I've encountered after 170 km of varied riding are:
A noticeable vibration in the bars when cruising, particularly on the right grip.
A nasty front brake pulsation once the brakes are warmed up.

Tomorrow I'm going to get some of my farkles transferred from my old bike (such as my phone mount and Barkbusters Storm's) and see about hooking up a phone charger.
onewizard likes this.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

2011 650 in black. 18,500 km. Givi windshield, stock windshield, front fender extender, SW-Motech engine guards (with highway pegs) and skid plate. The factory lower engine plastics that were removed. A RAM mount on the bar. Mirror extenders. A Luimoto seat cover with silver accents. Ventura rear rack with both the Pack rack and grab handle, 2 Aero-Spada packs, rain covers. Battery tender. Spools on the rear. All rolling on fairly fresh Michelin Pilot Roads.

A noticeable vibration in the bars when cruising, particularly on the right grip.

Tomorrow I'm going to get some of my farkles transferred from my old bike (such as my phone mount and Barkbusters Storm's) and see about hooking up a phone charger.
Common problem, I have included a link with a video, make sure you have brake cleaner around after, if this doesn't work, you need to head back to the dealer, as this is part of a safety, you have a total of 30 days from purchase.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...rotor+cleaning

Personally I would just head back, as many have found , including myself on the 07 I had, that it helps, but if it is severe like you say, the rotor may also be warped, cleaning the bobbins won't correct that. I use the front for 90% of my braking, combined with engine braking, my rear brake gets light use in the city and gets combined with front and engine braking when the need to brake hard occurs.
16VGTIDave likes this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Initial searching about a spacing problem on the front right engine mount ,It appears to be mainly MK-1, as a rubber mount was added on the MK-2. Just wait, someone with more experience should chime right in here, given enough time.

16VGTIDave likes this.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Common problem, I have included a link with a video, make sure you have brake cleaner around after, if this doesn't work, you need to head back to the dealer, as this is part of a safety, you have a total of 30 days from purchase.
Link removed because I'm too new for such things...

Personally I would just head back, as many have found , including myself on the 07 I had, that it helps, but if it is severe like you say, the rotor may also be warped, cleaning the bobbins won't correct that. I use the front for 90% of my braking, combined with engine braking, my rear brake gets light use in the city and gets combined with front and engine braking when the need to brake hard occurs.
I actually just finished the "bobbin service". When cold, there was no pulsation, so I'm cautiously hopeful. I will be hitting the road soon to see if I have fixed the issue or wasted an hour of my time. I'm going to let the dealership know either way because I use my brakes like you do.

Thanks,
Dave
onewizard likes this.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, the "bobbin service" didn't do the trick. I called and spoke with the Owner (and Service Manager?) at Inglis Cycle and described the issue. He had test ridden my bike yesterday before I took delivery. He is ordering in a set of front rotors just based on my description. I can't help but like this dealership more and more!

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Restrictions Only in Posting How To Forum

Quote:
I actually just finished the "bobbin service". When cold, there was no pulsation, so I'm cautiously hopeful. I will be hitting the road soon to see if I have fixed the issue or wasted an hour of my time. I'm going to let the dealership know either way because I use my brakes like you do.

Thanks,
Dave
You indicated the link for the video was blocked?? I am able to view this bobbin service logged out, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/258001-post6.html FYI it takes several minutes to load

my other post had restrictions to members only, and you need 20 posts to post in this How To forum
.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...djustment.html

If you are having trouble viewing anything in this thread, try logging out and clicking on the link, as it could be your browser setting.Also please post if you are having trouble with the forum, that is the only way for it to be corrected, you become the guinea pig so to speak, once your post count goes up we are stuck finding a new unsuspecting member

Last edited by onewizard; 07-28-2017 at 04:44 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for Update

Quote:
Well, the "bobbin service" didn't do the trick. I called and spoke with the Owner (and Service Manager?) at Inglis Cycle and described the issue. He had test ridden my bike yesterday before I took delivery. He is ordering in a set of front rotors just based on my description. I can't help but like this dealership more and more!
That confirms what others have told me about Inglis.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
You indicated the link for the video was blocked?? I am able to view this bobbin service logged out, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/258001-post6.html FYI it takes several minutes to load

my other post had restrictions to members only, and you need 20 posts to post in this How To forum
.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...djustment.html

If you are having trouble viewing anything in this thread, try logging out and clicking on the link, as it could be your browser setting.Also please post if you are having trouble with the forum, that is the only way for it to be corrected, you become the guinea pig so to speak, once your post count goes up we are stuck finding a new unsuspecting member

Sorry for the confusion! I had to remove the link you'd provided from the quoted message as I'm too new to post links. It's like having a graduated / learners licence or training wheels. I'm just wobbling around trying not to fall over...
onewizard likes this.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I recently got back from Inglis Cycle. They replaced the rotors, but wouldn't replace the pads. Not thrilled about that. Last week I had inspected the chain as per the service manual as it has many stiff links. The chain is beyond service limits according to the test in the manual. I asked them to replace the chain and sprockets as well. The folks at Inglis wrote on the work order that there are 'a few' stiff links, but that there is a fair bit of life left in the chain and sprockets. And that it should be monitored. The CS sprocket has hooked teeth. The thing that annoys me is that they knew the chain was shot when they sold the bike. It was covered in grease. Very thoroughly covered. And I paid full asking price because I was in a rush.

Dispite their claims to having performed a pre-delivery inspection, they never did any servicing to the bike. Other than washing it and an oil change. The grooves in the front pads were filled with mud. The front rotors were warped. The brake fluid was original and black. The air filter was filthy. None of the cables had been lubed. I'm sure when I get there, the spark plugs will be original. And that valves most likely haven't been checked.

Now off to a different dealer to pay them to inspect the bike, and possibly perform a safety inspection, which will fail due to the chain and sprockets. I hate wasting my time playing games like this...

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
aboard!

getting it all sorted out!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode