New kid on the block. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New kid on the block.

Last Thursday I traded in my 2016 Honda CB500F and my 2003 Nomad for a new 2016 Versys LT. One was too big, one was too small, the Versys is just right. I'm a young man of 77, enjoying my second childhood.
The manual says keep it under 4,000 rpm for 500 miles. Are you kidding me? That is 54 mph in 6th gear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 07:46 AM

Welcome, I'm a relatively new forum member too. At a youthful 69, I'm on at least my fourth childhood. I've got a 2017 X300 which also had a 4K limit for 500 miles, but on the 300 that's somewhere between 35 to 40 mph (!!) in 6th. Fortunately, I like back roads way more than highways/interstates, but even so I ended up, uh, taking liberties with the RPM limit, especially after the first few hundred miles. Having over the years read a bunch of the approximately 8577397653 opinions on break in procedures out there, I settled on making sure the bike was well warmed up but never overheated and gradually increasing the rpm, load, and run time through about 300 miles, then changed the oil and filter and just rode normally, but without any extended high rpm stuff, thereafter. I know I'm probably way over thinking the break in process, but that's more or less how I've always broken in new bikes and none ever seemed worse for wear over the years.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum, and yes I will never see 66 again, just keep in mind we all have years of experience, as long a we can remember where we put our notes. My hard copy is still paper.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome from San Antonio, Texas. I'll slip in between you and Seahunt at an adolescent 72 years of age. When I stop to consider it I believe that, to enter a second or third childhood, one first has to outgrow the first childhood. Thankfully I don't believe I've reached that point. At least I hope not.

I'm still waiting for my "perfect" adult employment position, though I probably won't live long enough to reach it. I've always wanted to be the captain of a Klingon Battle Cruiser. K'Plah!

But before I go back to my toys, I believe I'm noticing a trend that might explain recent articles reporting diminishing Harley sales. In answer to the question, "Where have all the Harley riders gone?" They're buying the one of the three Versys models, none of which weighs as much, rattles as much, or breaks as much! Maybe? What's worse from an image standpoint is it's hard to maintain the rugged-individualist manly-man H-D rider image if you have to grab your walker when you get off your Harley. Did I say that out loud?!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-23-2017 at 04:06 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
aboard young gentle men....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

I guess I have to post here twice before I can post anywhere else. This is post two.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
2 Posts 48 Hours from last post

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
I guess I have to post here twice before I can post anywhere else. This is post two.
As to break in , I was told that I could use full synthetic from the start by the head mechanic at my dealer, he also said not to baby it but no sustained 8,000 RPM. He did say to take it to 8,000, also try varying RPM, by changing from 6 to 5th for short periods, many on this forum use the Motoman break in. One thing for sure, my 2015 was above 6000 RPM after 40 KM.| Apparently the motors are 95% broke in before shipping.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Back in the dark ages when I was an automobile mechanic, I used to accelerate under full throttle from 30 mph to 60 mph 8 or 10 times to seat the rings, and consider it broken in. I felt that the bearings, cams, lifters, valves, timing gears, etc. were in the best condition they would ever be. I used the same technique with good results on my Harley and a couple of Kawasaki two-strokes.
I've had a few new cars and motorcycles, and this Kawasaki procedure is the most restrictive I have ever seen. Almost looks like a good way to glaze the cylinder walls so the rings won't seat properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in