New old guy from East Tennessee - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Seahunt
  • 1 Post By toaster404
  • 2 Post By Seahunt
  • 1 Post By motorboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New old guy from East Tennessee

Greetings to all,

Recently moved from Gainesville FL to the vicinity of Norris, TN and found that my last ride, a Suzuki Burgman 650, was ill suited to the area, for me at least. Truth be told I was tired of the weight of the thing (600+ lbs) and missed having at least some off road ability. Anyhow, a few days ago I picked up a shiny new Versys 300X and am loving it so far. Reminds me of the lighter, simpler bikes I had as a kid, only with reliability and easy starting thrown in.

Looking forward to learning more about the bike here, and will chime in whenever something comes up I can comment on without totally embarrassing myself...
Jaes1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard. Let us know what you think of the 300 as you rack up more miles.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 05:30 AM

Some very nice riding in the area. Swap meet next sunday at Biker Rags in Knoxville, but check to make sure I'm right. Tellico Biker Rally next weekend if you like drug HOG rider watching. Plenty of unknown incredible rides.

The 300 is very tempting. We were seriously considering one, but our tendency to spend most of a day on the Interstate getting somewhere led us to step to the 650 Versys initially. Now we've got a BMW F700GS for usual longer stuff. Regardless, Versys platform is very nice!! Impressive bikes, all of them.

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster404 View Post
Some very nice riding in the area. Swap meet next sunday at Biker Rags in Knoxville, but check to make sure I'm right. Tellico Biker Rally next weekend if you like drug HOG rider watching. Plenty of unknown incredible rides.

The 300 is very tempting. We were seriously considering one, but our tendency to spend most of a day on the Interstate getting somewhere led us to step to the 650 Versys initially. Now we've got a BMW F700GS for usual longer stuff. Regardless, Versys platform is very nice!! Impressive bikes, all of them.
They actually have a drug HOG rally in Tellico? Or are you just throwing out stereotype comments? I know a lot of upstanding sober HOG members, and know of several Drug smoking Versys owners on this forum.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 08:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunt View Post
Greetings to all,

Recently moved from Gainesville FL to the vicinity of Norris, TN and found that my last ride, a Suzuki Burgman 650, was ill suited to the area, for me at least. Truth be told I was tired of the weight of the thing (600+ lbs) and missed having at least some off road ability. Anyhow, a few days ago I picked up a shiny new Versys 300X and am loving it so far. Reminds me of the lighter, simpler bikes I had as a kid, only with reliability and easy starting thrown in.

Looking forward to learning more about the bike here, and will chime in whenever something comes up I can comment on without totally embarrassing myself...
Quite a change from Gainesville to the mountains. Congrats. Several of my friends are interested in the 300X, but the thing is too heavy compared to the power output. If Yamaha can make a 75 HP bike for under 400lbs, you would think Kawasaki could have made the 300X closer to the 300lb range.

Definitely let us know how it handles the mountain roads.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Was supposed to be "drunk" - which was the case last time I went! We'll probably be there. Trying to fit everything in.
twowheeladdict likes this.

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Agree on the power to weight ratio, although for me it wasn't much of an issue as I don't travel long distances or at high speeds any more. Riding the bike, it seems much lighter than it actually is on the road (although that may just be me, I'm stepping down from a series of much heavier bikes). The only off road I do is basic dirt roads, and not a lot of them even, so it's not much of an issue there either. For serious highway or off road riding I'm sure there are many better candidates. I looked seriously at the Suzuki DRZ400 & 650 dual sports as well as a variety of 650 road bikes, but in the end, the 300 made the most sense for my stage of riding.
twowheeladdict and Arion like this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 PM

welcome from a new old guy from nc
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
So how old is old- you better be north of 67 or I got you beat-but that is just my body my mine is still around 30- problem is getting the two to agree on things
onewizard likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I'll be 70 next April. I don't FEEL like an old guy but realistically I know I am. As the cliche goes, beats the alternative...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunt View Post
Greetings to all,

I'm looking at the fun factor... Of all the bikes I had the most fun I had was on a Honda 175xl. Although it was low in power it took me all over several counties in Michigan where I had grown up.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I had a 1980 Honda XL185S that was right up there near the top as to fun. Rode it into ground, loving every minute, for more than 20 years...
I've now got about 600 miles on the X300, mostly back country roads with some relatively easy dirt and gravel paths. My initial impression has been reinforced at every turn - the bike isn't for everyone but it's exactly what I was looking for.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 PM

Garage
Rode through your area last month. Beautiful country over there. I'll be back.

2017 Versys 1000 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode