Newbie here - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Newbie here

While a newbie here I'm definitely not new to motorcycling. I've been on two wheels for the past 56 years. Yah, I'm an ole fart. I just sold my Gold Wing and Lees-ure Lite camping trailer. Gold Wing was my 7th one. Over the years my wife has owned 5. We also dabbed in the Honda ST's. I have had 4 1100's and a 1300. My wife has had 3 1100's.

I have been very fortunate in that we have ridden on two bikes for 38 years together. Unfortunately that all came to an end Oct 2013 when I was hit from behind by an uncaring caged at 55 mph totaling out my ST1100, my camping trailer and all my riding gear. ATGATT you know! I was out of commission for a whole year and at the same time my wife said she's done riding, you can have my bike, a 2003 ST1100P.

After healing I rode the ST with a new camping trailer but needed something larger to pull it, i.e., the Gold Wing, 2002 1800 ABS. But as the years are creeping up on me, decided to go with something lighter.

Enter the 2016 Versys 650LT which a good friend of mine was selling after having it only a year and he loaded it with farkles. He has two other bikes, no time to ride the Kawi. This is not my first Kawi as I bought an enduro many years ago.

So far I am quite impressed with the Versys. I did own a 2012 Suzuki VStrom 650 for a short period of time but it didn't work for me. I'm hoping that the Kawi will serve me well?

This Versys is my 33rd motorcycle and I'm closing in on a million miles on two wheels. We both have ridden in all lower 48 states, most of Canada, and I rode in Italy the four years I was stationed there. After selling the Wing, I couldn't stop riding until my goal, 1 mil, is complete.

Retired Air Force (1986)
2016 Kawi Versys 650LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Garage
Sounds like 56 years well spent
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Awesome! Glad you're back on the bike. Enjoy the new ride. Stay safe out there!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Used to work for Dr.Pepper in Ft.Worth in the early 90's. Had a route that started in justin then to cleburne and on to glen rose which was great I'd eat at Hammonds BBQ (Yummy Yummy) then to granbury and acton then back to Ft.Worth...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
and wishing your many more miles of happy riding.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:40 AM

Congratulations on riding for 56 years, by my maths your older than me ! I thought we were supposed to slow down when we got old or is that just the speed when your on a motorbike?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the warm wishes. I think I'm going to enjoy this Versys.

As for slowing down while getting older, that's just a myth :-)

Retired Air Force (1986)
2016 Kawi Versys 650LT
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Welcome from Canada

to the forum, glad to see you have a story to tell with years of wisdom behind you, ATGATT is something many cruiser riders don't support in Ontario, particularly the Harley riders.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome aboard from one old fart to another. Also USAF Retired, and looking to shoulder the load of 73 years early next year. I've also been riding for a few years - 1963 give or take, and on and off ever since in the US, England, Germany, Turkey and several places in between. I can't come close to 33 bikes you've owned but I've had my share. Some I've loved and some not so much. The Versys is right up there on my list of excellent machines.

I have to admit that, since hip replacement surgery two years ago, diminishing upper body strength, and short legs, I've recently added a 2015 Can Am Spyder RT-S to the fleet and am slowly learning to appreciate it. It doesn't replace the Versys or our other bikes but it's still a good choice for this "not-a-spring-chicken-any-longer" rider. And I can reply to the unsolicited advice-givers that, no I don't want a convertible and I already have several "real" motorcycles, thank you very much. Funny how it seems one motorcycle is never enough.
Enjoy the Versys!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode