Considering 650 Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Skypilot 69
  • 1 Post By Duffy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Considering 650 Versys

As the title states I am considering a 650 Versys. I am trying to decide if this is the right bike for me. I have test ridden it but only allowed to go 12 miles. That is not enough to tell if I am really going to be happy with it so I am going to ask a several questions and read as much as I can to get the answers I am looking for. I know on my 600 shadow the wind is terrible and I will not even consider riding the interstate because of how bad it is, Is the versys easily blown around or does it hold the road well? I will be doing 90% of my driving on back roads so I feel that it would be great with that. I have looked at the FJ-09 and the V-Storm but they do not fit me and both would need handlebar risers and not sure what else to make them comfortable and he Versys fit me just like it was made for me. Anything you could add would be very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I considered both of the bikes you mention also.........the Versys was my choice for a number of reasons. The FJ was too much sport bike and the Wee Strom was way too tall. I switched from a 1500 Vulcan Classic. I'm getting old and the Versys was a nice nimble small bike that would do what I want to do (touring and the occasional gravel road). If you liked it after 10 miles you will probably like it after more. It may require some comfort mods however. No bike seems to fit anyone perfectly.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
regarding whether you feel it gets blown around on the interstate has as much to do with how you ride and your riding skill level.

If you grab the grips and react to every little push from the wind you will be all over the road.

If you grab the tank with your knees, keep your grip light and focus far down the road you will feel the bike adjust under you instead of being blown around.

How much windshield you need is a personal preference as well. On bikes with a slight forward lean like the Versys I like to have the wind hit my chest and my helmet in the clean air. Some people want to ride behind a barn door and not feel any wind.

The 2nd generation Versys handled like a large supermoto bike. Awesome on the lane and half wide farm roads out in the country.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 PM

How did the Vstrom and Fj09 not fit...... too big/tall or too small. How tall are you and what are you dimensions? What is your price point. If you don't want to get blown around have you considered a Versys 1000?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:02 PM

FWIW I'm 6'0"; 32" inseam (where the hell did my inseam go? I used to be 34"!) and I read all the motorcycle propaganda who by and large love the 650 - and based on that and a test ride (45 minutes and almost 55 miles) convinced me that it's a good match for me. My other steed is an '08 ZX14R, and I prefer the Versys by a LONG shot.

A subtle but important component of my decision is that fact that I live in North Idaho whose highways look like:

^^^^^^&&^__|__ ^&&^^^^^^

where ^^ is trees, __|__ is the archetypical two lane highway around here; and && is the many moose that live in the area, and regard strolls down __|__ as a daily activity in the search for food.

Candidly, the idea of a 185 rear-wheel-horse (dynoed for the naysayers in the crowd) [and sometimes referred to as an ICBM with turn signals] capable of 0-60 in 2.5 seconds is madness given the roads and four-legged obstacles often seen here.

The Versys will turn 85 all day long (a bit faster than it prefers, but it'll do it) and you have to work to get up to that velocity.

Perfect for me. I'll probably live longer this way....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:47 PM

o
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
FWIW I'm 6'0"; 32" inseam (where the hell did my inseam go? I used to be 34"!) and I read all the motorcycle propaganda who by and large love the 650 - and based on that and a test ride (45 minutes and almost 55 miles) convinced me that it's a good match for me. My other steed is an '08 ZX14R, and I prefer the Versys by a LONG shot.

A subtle but important component of my decision is that fact that I live in North Idaho whose highways look like:

^^^^^^&&^__|__ ^&&^^^^^^

where ^^ is trees, __|__ is the archetypical two lane highway around here; and && is the many moose that live in the area, and regard strolls down __|__ as a daily activity in the search for food.

Candidly, the idea of a 185 rear-wheel-horse (dynoed for the naysayers in the crowd) [and sometimes referred to as an ICBM with turn signals] capable of 0-60 in 2.5 seconds is madness given the roads and four-legged obstacles often seen here.

The Versys will turn 85 all day long (a bit faster than it prefers, but it'll do it) and you have to work to get up to that velocity.

Idaho is my retirement destination. The Star/Eagle area or somewhere around Haydon. Some of my co-workers have places in Haydon and love it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hi. I've owned over a dozen bikes, my most recent is the Versys 650 and I love it. I think it's an excellent balance of size, power, and fuel economy. I like the dash and the adjustable windshield. I like that I can go 200+ miles per tank. There is a lot to like on this bike.

You didn't say where you are located, but mine is for sale in Nebraska. I love the bike but I am getting out of motorcycling right now. It's a 2015 650LT with 4k miles.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

I live in Western NY and to answer Lurch71 questions the v-storm and fj-09 did not fit because the handlebars where to far away from me I had to lay on the gas tank to make any turns, the height of the bikes are all similar I can flat foot them or very close to flat footing them so that was not the issue. I know I can get risers to fix that problem but if I can get a stock one that fits perfect I would rather do that.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post

^^^^^^&&^__|__ ^&&^^^^^^

Funny how gravity and aging changes us, isn't it? I'm a victim of gravity and have shrunk from 5' 11" to 5" 9" as I've grown more "mature." And with a 30" inseam I can't afford to shrink any more. I installed the Moto Werk lowering block with adjusted forks on the Versys and it's just fine for my stubby legs. I prefer it over my '93 BMW K75S which is taller, heavier and has stubby bars (offering reduced leverage). Still, I would be hard pressed to rid myself of either bike. Each has its place and for travel over any substantial distance the Versys wins hands down. The BMW is for shorter outings where the velvet smooth triple can be a true joy. Stubby handle bars less of a joy.

Hah! Idaho and Maine "highways" have much in common it seems. Moose are a constant hazard, especially on our very prevalent two lane forest roads. Then we add deer, foxes, raccoons, turkeys, and 70,000 pound log trucks boiling along at 60+ mph to the mix - log trucks that is, not turkey or raccoons! Makes for interesting riding. Disclaimer: haven't hit a moose in two years. Slow down - live longer.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkridia View Post
...Is the versys easily blown around?....
Not in my experience.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Garage
Hi Arkridia,

I think you'll be happy with the Versys. Coming from a 600 Shadow without a windshield, you'll be pleased. The Versys is not the heaviest bike around, so passing 18 wheelers on the interstate will still be an adventure, but I've come back from 3-4 hour rides with friends on sports bikes and cruisers with no windshield and I definitely get a lot less tired and wind blown than they do. I ride north of NYC on the interstates a lot where flow of traffic is 75, and I'm really glad to have the windshield and fairing directing the wind away from my body. I regularly cross the Tappan Zee bridge and have done so with 20 mph cross winds. It's not fun, but it's uncomfortable rather than terrifying.

The character on back roads is really pleasant, too. The 5.9 front / 5.7 rear suspension makes a big difference on poorly maintained roads, especially in the rear. Google tells me your Shadow has 5.7" front / 3.5" rear of travel, so that's two inches your butt and spine will thank you for. There are some comfort issues, biggest of which is the crappy stock seat, but there are solutions for everything. The Versys has well-developed aftermarket, so you can take it just about any direction you want. Plus, the forum is full of really nice and helpful people.

Best of luck!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkridia View Post
As the title states I am considering a 650 Versys. I am trying to decide if this is the right bike for me. I have test ridden it but only allowed to go 12 miles. That is not enough to tell if I am really going to be happy with it so I am going to ask a several questions and read as much as I can to get the answers I am looking for. I know on my 600 shadow the wind is terrible and I will not even consider riding the interstate because of how bad it is, Is the versys easily blown around or does it hold the road well? I will be doing 90% of my driving on back roads so I feel that it would be great with that. I have looked at the FJ-09 and the V-Storm but they do not fit me and both would need handlebar risers and not sure what else to make them comfortable and he Versys fit me just like it was made for me. Anything you could add would be very helpful.
I've ridden all three bikes many times and have owned 2 Versys. None is a bad bike, but they do differ. The FJ-09 is great bike IMO except for 1 major issue. It is very similar to Versys but with more power but suffers from excessive handlebar vibration that will make your hands ache in pain on anything longer than 15 minutes ride unless there is some way to resolve it, and I'm not sure there is. IMO the Versys has a better engine than the VStrom and is more responsive. Both bikes bikes benefit from being on their 3rd generation and the refinement that comes with this. All in all the Versys is a great all rounder, but like all bikes will benefit from some adjustment of the adjustable suspension settings to match your riding style and installation of top tier sport tour tires. There are also lots of aftermarket parts out there like windshields, crash bars, luggage etc. to allow you to customize it to your requirements. Like all Japanese bikes it is VERY reliable with no defects. Except to replace only regular wear and tear items over it's life.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-26-2017 at 09:02 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 PM

A note on side wind riding..............I rode behind two Indians the other day (a full dresser version and a Scout with small shield) with a 20-30 mph cross wind. Both of those bikes were showing a definite "lean" into the wind. Seemed to be just about the same as mine. Not fun but not scary either.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The FJ has a great engine, poor seat, difficult seating position, dime store suspension and a lack of smooth throttle.
That 900 is not even in the same ball park as the 650 power wise but the 650 is just butter smooth.
IMHO the FJ feels like a first gen built to meet a certain price point, foundational - still needs additional $$ to make it right.

I didn't care for the ergos and engine on the VStrom.
I think that is more of a religious battle, closer comparison to the Versys than the FJ, even comparing 650 and liter models.
The VStrom just were not the bikes for me.

The Versys is best out of the box.
I've only added farkle and a top box (Shad SH30).
Honestly I don't think it needs a thing - I even like the stock seat - but I'll add stuff to it just for fun.
Likely the only think I'll change is the sproket (44T) but 5K RPM at 70-75 last night, on the highway, lateral winds, stock windscreen - not a single problem.

I call my Versys the "Touring Ninja".
Fun on the twisties, great for travelling around, really nice on the highway, exceptionally well mannered, just an all around great bike.
I like it so much I might get the liter version at some point in the future just because if they got this one so right I might as well have the pair.

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650
2003 HD FLHPI (Police Road King)
1982 Yamaha XJ650

MSF RiderCoach
AMA EAGLE

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
A note on side wind riding..............I rode behind two Indians the other day (a full dresser version and a Scout with small shield) with a 20-30 mph cross wind. Both of those bikes were showing a definite "lean" into the wind. Seemed to be just about the same as mine. Not fun but not scary either.
I rode my Harley from Columbia MS. to Sturgis SD. I never really new what real crosswinds were till I hit the stretch from Sioux Falls west on hway 90. Hot cross wind coming out of the south that were a real SOB. I've made that trip 3 times, and each time the cross winds were strong. My 3rd time a strong storm was approaching, and I had to seek shelter in Chamberlain. Are the crosswinds always that bad on that stretch of hiway?
aemacleod likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Any bike will response to cross wind...as a rider you adjust to the element as you ride. Have done years of cross country riding with the versys and it has always hold me on course..
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
I rode my Harley from Columbia MS. to Sturgis SD. I never really new what real crosswinds were till I hit the stretch from Sioux Falls west on hway 90. Hot cross wind coming out of the south that were a real SOB. I've made that trip 3 times, and each time the cross winds were strong. My 3rd time a strong storm was approaching, and I had to seek shelter in Chamberlain. Are the crosswinds always that bad on that stretch of hiway?
Not always.............just most of the time. The ride I mentioned was on I90 in Chamberlain. The Missouri River valley seems to channel the wind down the valley.
aemacleod likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode