New V650LT owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New V650LT owner

Hello from Houston. Picked up my 2017 V650LT a few days ago after reading many reviews. Love it but, yeah - the seat. Needs replacement or modding quick. Looking around here now to see what others have done...
407guy and aboyandhisversys like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Traded my DR650 for the Versys...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Hi, just spotted that you live in Houston! I keep my bike at my sons place, also in Houston (The Heights), so maybe we can get out and about sometime? I am flying over from the UK on the 4th July and leaving for Alaska on the 9th.
I noticed that you have done a fair bit of camping - just wondering if you would recommend camping on my trip north or would it be too hot, too many bugs etc!!! Any advice most welcome!

Regards

John

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae5x View Post
Hello from Houston. Picked up my 2017 V650LT a few days ago after reading many reviews. Love it but, yeah - the seat. Needs replacement or modding quick. Looking around here now to see what others have done...
Try SEARCH for raising the front of your seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
...I noticed that you have done a fair bit of camping - just wondering if you would recommend camping on my trip north or would it be too hot, too many bugs etc!!! Any advice most welcome!

Regards

John
John - CAMP!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:01 PM

Yes... I have decided to go for it and forget about bears!

https://freecampsites.net looks useful and if things get too traumatic I can always book into a motel!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
Hi, just spotted that you live in Houston! I keep my bike at my sons place, also in Houston (The Heights), so maybe we can get out and about sometime? I am flying over from the UK on the 4th July and leaving for Alaska on the 9th.
I noticed that you have done a fair bit of camping - just wondering if you would recommend camping on my trip north or would it be too hot, too many bugs etc!!! Any advice most welcome!

Regards

John
Hello John,

Sounds good about doing a ride together. I'm about 15 miles NNE of the Heights - you passed within shouting range of me on your way to/from Lufkin. I'll PM you my phone number.

The heat in Houston is of the worst kind and you'll be here at our hottest. I don't envy that aspect of your trip. I grew up here and am still affected by it. Despite the fact that you'll be going north (or northwest), it will remain hot that time of year even once you're well out of TX. I see that others have recommended a high elevation route for that reason. If feasible, it's good advice and is why we Texans think of Colorado as one of our own northern counties.

You'll probably have days that'll call for a hotel for the night, other days (in CO and Cali) will be fine for camping. If you do decide to camp in CO I have an almost-new and unused can of UDAP bear spray I'll give you from my TAT trip.

John

UPDATE: Well I guess one can't send private messages here...?
farmerboy likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 06-22-2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Highlight posting PM problem
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
2 posts 48 hours

Quote:
Hello John,

John

UPDATE: Well I guess one can't send private messages here...?
You have the post count, not the time, that was suppose to have been changed, as new members should be able to ask for help, part of the anti-spam tool on this forum. Try again after 48 hours, post again if it doesn't work. All that can be done is one of us mods need to take out a work order and have Kawiman fix it, if it needs fixing.
I will copy this to the help forum.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Garage
I see you have a Submarine as you avatar. What boats did you serve on. I was on the Oklahoma City, Boise and the Columbus. Retired in 2010 after 22 years of service.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Cheap, and will improve seat comfort alot. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-lift-mod.html
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:10 PM

Cheers John, ...... bears are a mystery to me so not really sure what "UDAP" bear spray is? Anyway, it sounds like I may need it!

Hopefully be in touch when I get to Texas.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead88 View Post
I see you have a Submarine as you avatar. What boats did you serve on. I was on the Oklahoma City, Boise and the Columbus. Retired in 2010 after 22 years of service.
Small world! I was on USS Barb (SSN-596) homeported in San Diego 1985-89, then back to Groton to teach ET A school. Did 10 years total, now looking forward to retirement from FAA (radar). Fun times. Avatar is of a port visit to Adak AK.

Last edited by ae5x; 06-22-2017 at 02:29 PM.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
Cheap, and will improve seat comfort alot. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-lift-mod.html
Thanks - I'm making a trip to Lowes Saturday foe this project. Other than that small and correctable issue, I love the bike. Still only 360 miles on it after 5 days but that'll change soon too.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I did the same as posted above, but I only raised mine about 1/2 an inch with a flat piece of steel, longer bolts, and some washers/spacers and it made the seat MUCH more comfortable. It doesn't push me forward and relives a lot of the pressure on my tailbone. I'd take a picture, but I'm away from home for work for a while.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 08:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Small world! I was on USS Barb (SSN-596) homeported in San Diego 1985-89, then back to Groton to teach ET A school. Did 10 years total, now looking forward to retirement from FAA (radar). Fun times. Avatar is of a port visit to Adak AK.
Real small world I was in Sub school and RM "A" and "C" schools in Groton from Aug 88 to Jan 90. Our paths may have actually crossed up there. I did my last tour up there at Comms ET "A" and "C" school as the Department Chief 2008 - 2010.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
... is of a port visit to Adak AK.
I'll show a pic of what I was in when I went to Adak....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james75 View Post
...I'd take a picture, but I'm away from home for work for a while.
Here's a pic of mine....

and this is the piece you need to make.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0001_### copy.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	123586  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 06-25-2017 at 03:49 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, my setup is very similar.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

I did that yesterday and am surprised at the difference that such a small amount of lift makes (that's what she said). Much more comfortable now and dirt cheap too. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I did that yesterday and am surprised at the difference that such a small amount of lift makes (that's what she said). Much more comfortable now and dirt cheap too. Thanks for the suggestion.
You're welcome. As you use the Forum you will be amazed at how many 'inmates' spend a BUNCH of $ for a new seat w/out trying the $2 solution. Escapes me WHY....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode