New Front Range Colorado Versys Rider, Howdy! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By SonOfTheGriz
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Jmason

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Howdy! I just picked my new-to-me 2014 Versys 650 from Rocky Mountain Kawasaki over here on the other side of the hills -- I've had mine a couple weeks now and I absolutely love the bike. Apparently, dropping your new Versys is a fairly common right of passage for those of us blessed with an underabundance of inseam. I put a little scuff onto my bar end weight, lower plastic, and footpeg. Engine guards are on the shortlist after I get my new footpegs and rear rack installed. Busted off an inch of my clutch lever, too but after filing the end to smooth it out it's still rideable. My story wasn't as cool as putting it down in the gravel... ;-)

I'm looking forward to a full season of road riding and a couple short tours and having a bike that works incredibly well as a commuter and as a weekend blaster.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	123042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New Front Range Colorado Versys Rider, Howdy!

After ten years or so of riding cruisers (Vulcan 800 and Vulcan 900) and two years without a motorcycle I finally decided enough was enough and that I needed another two-wheeler. A close friend of mine rides a V-Strom and was encouraging me to look at something similar... I was down to a Strom or a Versys (being a Kawi guy) and my local shop just happened to have a beautiful 2014 650 with a brand new set of 50/50 tires and a few extra goodies on it. Uh oh.

The test ride sealed the deal. it was weird to be on such a tall bike but it turned in like nothing I'd ridden before, had plenty of power on tap, and it just felt... right. The awkward conversation with my wife passed quickly and I was back in the shop the next day signing on the dotted line. I rode home with a Wolfman tank bag straddling the go juice.

Since then it's been my daily commuter and I've been on two rides up into the mountains with my enabler friend. I'm working on setting it up for a multi-day trip out to Pikes Peak next month and am absolutely in love with this new machine. And... like many of my Brothers and Sisters of the Shortened Inseam I put it down backing it out of my driveway. Realizing it may not be the last time (and pushing up armor / protection on the wish list) I brushed myself off, grumbled a bit, and rode off, none the less for wear.

I'm adding some goodness from SW Motech, Mosko Moto, and Barkbusters soon, and it's great to have a community of Versys riders to fall back on when my other buddies riding "real" adventure bikes pipe up. As a 90% street bike with 10% chance of freedom and escape to wherever the heck I want to go, the Versys is definitely "my" bike.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	24
ID:	123010   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	123018   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	123026  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wolfman Blackhawk Tank Bag... Love It!

When I brought my 2014 Versys home a couple weeks ago I had one of the shop owners help me install a Wolfman Blackhawk and I was instantly a fan of having a tank bag. I'll be adding a tail bag for longer rides soon but this is the perfect size for glasses, gloves, water bottle, med kit, or a sammich when I blast out at work on my lunch break.

Living in the same town as Wolfman kinda made it a no-brainer on which bag I'd try first. So far, so good. Coming off a decade of cruiser riding I'm not trying to tuck under the windscreen (and will likely be adding a taller screen at some point in the future anyway). I'll be adding Mosko Moto rear end luggage so maybe I'll give their tank bag a shot at some point but for pure utility I can't fault the Wolfman for anything. It ain't the cheapest for the size, but it's stout and hasn't moved around on me at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	20
ID:	123050  
aboyandhisversys likes this.

In search of open pavement, good food, great brew, sharp knives, loud guns, and quick bikes.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
SonOfTheGriz likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum,got to go, too much talk and no action, been 3 months of renovations, going for a ride, hope I remember how
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
aboard!

onewizard - post above THIS one - USUALLY has some pretty good things to say...!

SonOfTheGriz likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfTheGriz View Post
The awkward conversation with my wife passed quickly
I left that part out when I bought my Versys, didn't make my wife very happy...

You've got a lot of good mountain rides out of Longmont. I like to do the Denver-Estes Park- Granby - Denver tour every couple of years. Love the ride through Rocky Mtn National Park, but I just get annoyed with all the tourist traffic!
SonOfTheGriz likes this.

'18 Versys V1K
'09 Versys 650
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I left that part out when I bought my Versys, didn't make my wife very happy...

You've got a lot of good mountain rides out of Longmont. I like to do the Denver-Estes Park- Granby - Denver tour every couple of years. Love the ride through Rocky Mtn National Park, but I just get annoyed with all the tourist traffic!
Absolutely! RMNP is one of my favorite places to ride - we just avoid it on 'peak' (bad pun not intended) traffic days in the middle of summer. It was great to get up there a couple weeks ago right after the road opened, there's nothing like riding 3' away from a two-story wall of snow at 11,000 feet (without having to fly to the Baltoro region of Pakistan). As long as the two-wheeled spandex peacocks aren't in full rut, any of those roads up into the mountains are great rides.

My riding partner and I are planning a multi-day bike/camp trip down to Pikes Peak next month, I'm looking forward to that little adventure.

My wife was... um... tolerant of the bike purchase. Riding gear and racks/bags for the bike have been a slightly more touchy conversations since I've discovered Klim and Mosko Moto. Living in the same town as Wolfman's headquarters doesn't help much, either.

Cheers! See ya on the road

In search of open pavement, good food, great brew, sharp knives, loud guns, and quick bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode