How bad of an idea is this? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By toaster404
  • 1 Post By Indelibility
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How bad of an idea is this?

Hello everyone.
I'm thinking about becoming a happy owner of a 650 versys (age pending). Managed to ride a little on a loaned 2014 and fell in love in the position, response and pretty much everything.
What I'm looking for is some information on what to expect from the bike after putting some more miles on it. I'm expecting around 10 000 miles a year on it (commuting).
Anything that "normally" gives way, what should I be looking for in second hand vehicles for most pricey to fix/replace ?
thanks
Mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Engine & transmission are the most pricey. Best thing to do is to get everything refreshed/checked and then run a logbook. Before buying, get an oil analysis and you're sure where things are at that way. Look at the drain plug for stuff. Check compression, valves, change coolant, new air filter, new oil, check the chain & sprockets, check the head and wheel bearings. Maybe put on a Scott oiler. Set up a maintenance station and keep up with things. If you log all the work, then you'll see changes. Nice thing about 10K / year is that if a super duper tire deal comes up you can get an extra set.

People can ruin a new bike fast, or can keep one going for a surprising amount of time, just depending.
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome aboard i have an 08 with coming up on 40k miles on it only trouble ive had so far other then the normal wear and tear stuff (tires chains sprockets oil and so on) has been the radiator fan. my bike is on its third (both times replaced with used ones) but its also lived most its life in the woods and both fails were do to dirt getting into the motor... not really a big deal to change it and they are cheap and plentiful

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

I've noticed the little bee (the one I'm using now is somewhat yellow and black) is taunting me to get off the tarmac and have some fun already but so far I'm the boss and say public roads only!
The usual lottery is find a second hand item that hasn't been abused and has been taken care of as it should. @silviefox what you wrote brings me hope and gets me closer to the tough conversation with The Mrs about financing a new one... just need to run some numbers on how much exactly will it bite me.

edit:
I forgot to mention I'm very much NOT mechanically savvy. yet

Last edited by galiadel; 06-02-2017 at 02:50 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 08:15 AM

Garage
One of the MAIN reasons I picked up a V650 for commuting is the lack of issues these bikes and powertrains have. Go for it, like you I do about 13,000 miles a year.
NightRider likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 09:24 AM

Garage
I put 30,000 trouble free miles on my '11 Versys before my riding needs changed and I went smaller with the FZ-07.

My only issue was the shifting got hard and thanks to this forum I knew to pull apart the shifter mechanism, lube everything and put it back together.

I'm not sure how many here have made it to 100,000 miles, but I do know of several Ninja 650 riders (same basic drivetrain) who have gone over 100,000 miles with the only failures being fuel pump.

Regular maintenance is the key to longevity.
NightRider likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

one more vote to get a new one or from a "known" source... (yeah, right)
thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

It is with sadness... of sorts

Well... there is no nice way to say this but I ended up with an eleven years old BMW R1200 GS.
Yes it's a completely different beast, fat, huge and the works but I think it's exactly what I needed to keep me "civilized".
Happy trails folks,
I'll come back when I grow up to get a versys
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up Enjoy the ride!

Two wheels. That's all that matters, my friend.
Ride safe.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Enjoy your ride and keep in touch..
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 PM

Garage
I can add relatable information to this thread. I bought my 08 in 13. I payed attention to the type of rider that was selling. The gentleman I bought it from was a long distance rider. He took care of the bike with all the proper maintenance and chain oiling. I bought it with 23k miles on it. I stay on top of the maintenance. The only worn out parts I have had are the tires. Replace the rear, then the pair. I now have 50k miles on it, and she still runs strong.

'08 Red V
Mods - Lets just say I probably "NEED" more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode