Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New member queston

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  bigaussie 
#1 ·
Hi, just joined the forum. Haven't owned a bike for about 4 years but the wife has given me permission to buy something on the lower priced end of the market (mainly for commuting) . Was about to buy a Bandit 1250 when a history check revealed it had been a repaired write off so I passed.
Now a nice looking 2008 Versys has popped up. It has 34000k on it, 2 owners but it's very clean and looks to be well maintained. He's had a lower suspension mod done to it (which I don't like as I'm 6'4) Just wondering if there is any issues I should keep an eye out for? Hoping to take it for a test ride tomorrow.
I've had some big bore Kawasaki sport bikes in the past (Zzr1100 and a Zrx12r) and they were both reliable but a bit more pricey to service than their Suzuki cousins.
What's the Versys like? Any rattles or shakes I should watch for?

Thanks!

#4 ·
Welcome From Canada

:welcome:to the forum

#6 ·
I have an 2007 with 42,000 miles / 67,000 kms.

Other than a failed fuel pump and a burnt stator I haven't had any real problems.

The instrument cluster sometimes has a rattle / buzz, but there are threads on here on how to fix that if it really annoys you.

How much are they asking?

Cheers

#9 ·
welcome . the versys is a great bike i have a first gen and love mine.. im 6'2 and mine is lowered and i honestly have to say i like it that way. i was going to remove it when i got the bike but found it really nice to be able to flat foot it on both sides and actually stand up off the bike with it between my legs, also makes it a bit easier to get my leg over on bad knee days and also makes it easier for the passenger to get on and off

#11 ·
Thanks guys:) I ended up buying it:)
Owner gave me a set of iridium laser plugs and a new airfilter, said it was due for a change and he didn't want to do it, saw the how to video, just like my old V-strom these things look like a afternoon waster for a rather simple job.
My old CBR1000F took about 5-10 minutes to do the plugs and filter, tank lifted up on a hinge with a holder, no fairing needed to be removed, once the tank was up you had easy access to everything.

#12 ·
once youve done it a few times you will get to were you can strip the V down in about 10 min and maybe another 5 to remove the gas tank and another 10 for the air box... the time waster is the beers or smoke brakes you take between each step, and the pulling out and putting tools back and cleaning and sorting the hardware

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.