New member queston - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fastoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New member queston

Hi, just joined the forum. Haven't owned a bike for about 4 years but the wife has given me permission to buy something on the lower priced end of the market (mainly for commuting) . Was about to buy a Bandit 1250 when a history check revealed it had been a repaired write off so I passed.
Now a nice looking 2008 Versys has popped up. It has 34000k on it, 2 owners but it's very clean and looks to be well maintained. He's had a lower suspension mod done to it (which I don't like as I'm 6'4) Just wondering if there is any issues I should keep an eye out for? Hoping to take it for a test ride tomorrow.
I've had some big bore Kawasaki sport bikes in the past (Zzr1100 and a Zrx12r) and they were both reliable but a bit more pricey to service than their Suzuki cousins.
What's the Versys like? Any rattles or shakes I should watch for?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:09 AM

Garage
Welcome from Indiana. I have 2009 with 17,000 miles and love it. I use it for riding, camping, touring and beer runs.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

I have an '08 in AZ w/ 71,543 miles on it. Bought it (NEW) in Sept '08. Trouble-free.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

I have an '08 in AZ w/ 71,543 miles on it. Bought it (NEW) in Sept '08. Trouble-free.

Excellent, hopefully I'll be able to grab it today =)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:03 PM

Garage
I have an 2007 with 42,000 miles / 67,000 kms.

Other than a failed fuel pump and a burnt stator I haven't had any real problems.

The instrument cluster sometimes has a rattle / buzz, but there are threads on here on how to fix that if it really annoys you.

How much are they asking?

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

He's asking about 4k (Aussie dollar) hoping to get it for $3500, it's stock but he's put a suspension lowering kit on it which I hope can be removed?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
He's asking about 4k (Aussie dollar) hoping to get it for $3500, it's stock but he's put a suspension lowering kit on it which I hope can be removed?
Yes, it can be removed. Be SURE to support your bike before removing it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome . the versys is a great bike i have a first gen and love mine.. im 6'2 and mine is lowered and i honestly have to say i like it that way. i was going to remove it when i got the bike but found it really nice to be able to flat foot it on both sides and actually stand up off the bike with it between my legs, also makes it a bit easier to get my leg over on bad knee days and also makes it easier for the passenger to get on and off

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:03 PM

Hi and welcome!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I ended up buying it
Owner gave me a set of iridium laser plugs and a new airfilter, said it was due for a change and he didn't want to do it, saw the how to video, just like my old V-strom these things look like a afternoon waster for a rather simple job.
My old CBR1000F took about 5-10 minutes to do the plugs and filter, tank lifted up on a hinge with a holder, no fairing needed to be removed, once the tank was up you had easy access to everything.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Owner gave me a set of iridium laser plugs and a new airfilter, said it was due for a change and he didn't want to do it, saw the how to video, just like my old V-strom these things look like a afternoon waster for a rather simple job.
My old CBR1000F took about 5-10 minutes to do the plugs and filter, tank lifted up on a hinge with a holder, no fairing needed to be removed, once the tank was up you had easy access to everything.
once youve done it a few times you will get to were you can strip the V down in about 10 min and maybe another 5 to remove the gas tank and another 10 for the air box... the time waster is the beers or smoke brakes you take between each step, and the pulling out and putting tools back and cleaning and sorting the hardware

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Servicing the bike once in a while creates a bound between you and the bike.
silviefox likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hi from an Aussie living in Canada.

Don't throw away the air filter - it is washable.

Even if you don't remove the lowering kit you may want to lower the pegs.

I am only a 32" inseam but it really helped the knees

Speedy has lots of good toys for the V for example Mirror Extenders, larger side stand foot, etc.

Enjoy the bike.

Alan / BigAussie

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode