Death of my versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By onewheelwheatley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Death of my versys

Hi all,
I bought a new 2012 versys left over back in 2014 and it quickly became my primary vehicle. I have toured the majority of the US with it (37 states), put my knee pucks to use for the first time on it, and even recently completed my first rally race on it. I have certainly gotten my monies worth from the bike before she kicked the bucket last week at 47k after ingesting a ton of dirt during a dual sport ride. I've been a long time lurker here and figured it's time I joined and gave back to the forum. I will be repairing the bike in the upcoming weeks to get it ready for some more racing and dual sporting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170403_180808_511_1491327355811.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	118522  
zzzoren and CyclopsRider like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:28 PM

What happened? Did you tear a hole in your air filter or airbox?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Subscribed.....

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
aboard!

Sounds like your air-filter "cratered". You're probably 'in' for rings, at least.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 PM

Welcome! Keep us updated on the repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You must be a highly skilled off-road rider to dual sport a street bike. I had to move down to a klx250s when I decided the klr650 was just too much weight for dual sporting.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
What happened? Did you tear a hole in your air filter or airbox?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

Sounds like your air-filter "cratered". You're probably 'in' for rings, at least.

I believe the last air filter (OEM) I put in did not seat correctly or the air box came unsealed. I was riding nearly all dirt from FL to TN when it happened. The low oil pressure light came on at idle while I was in the NF in northern GA. It was getting dark so I kept revs up to maintain pressure and rode to the next town (30ish miles). It took 1.75qt of oil to top off and hasn't started since I let the motor cool. I just got it back to Maryland Sunday night and haven't worked on it yet. Here is a picture of the air box access hatch. I rebuilt the top end last year but I think the bottom end is fried this time too. I'm probably gonna swap in a complete motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_122814_1491393493015.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	118538  

Last edited by onewheelwheatley; 04-05-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
You must be a highly skilled off-road rider to dual sport a street bike. I had to move down to a klx250s when I decided the klr650 was just too much weight for dual sporting.
Haha I would like to think so but there are many more talented than me. I used to race MX and the occasional harescramble so the versys isn't my first foray into riding dirt.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheelwheatley View Post
Quote:
Haha I would like to think so but there are many more talented than me. I used to race MX and the occasional harescramble so the versys isn't my first foray into riding dirt.
Besides some trail riding on borrowed bikes when I was a teenager, my first dual sport came along at 45 years old. DRZ400S. Fun and capable bike, but better off road than on. Replaced it when a fully farkled KLR650 came across my path at a steal. Did some nice adventure rides in the smokies but ORV trails were out of the question. The 250's weight and suspension work well for me. A little more power for the short forays into fast roads would be nice. I did ride the Versys on the Tennessee dirt devil near leipers fork. A couple water crossings and climbs were challenging on the Raven tires, and braking on the chert roads were scary when approaching an intersection.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

2017 Honda 250 Rally...

Stopped at my local Honda dealer a few days back. VERY surprised to see a 250, dual-sport, full-knobbies, lights and turn-sigs. Here's a link:

https://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/di...t/crf250_rally

Looks cool (and NOT really light-weight at 346 pounds, FULL fluids)!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Besides some trail riding on borrowed bikes when I was a teenager, my first dual sport came along at 45 years old. DRZ400S. Fun and capable bike, but better off road than on. Replaced it when a fully farkled KLR650 came across my path at a steal. Did some nice adventure rides in the smokies but ORV trails were out of the question. The 250's weight and suspension work well for me. A little more power for the short forays into fast roads would be nice. I did ride the Versys on the Tennessee dirt devil near leipers fork. A couple water crossings and climbs were challenging on the Raven tires, and braking on the chert roads were scary when approaching an intersection.
I do like KLR's, my best friend has one and let's me take out pretty often. The smaller the better though for dirt, I just happen to enjoy trying to wrangle heavy street bikes offroad for some reason. That's the first I've heard of the Dirt Devil, had to Google it. It sounds like a good ride and something I'll have to check out next time I'm down there.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:30 PM

Cool

Quote:
Stopped at my local Honda dealer a few days back. VERY surprised to see a 250, dual-sport, full-knobbies, lights and turn-sigs. Here's a link:

Very cool! I see that they also have a 250L model that is similar. It's lighter, cheaper, and has 1" less suspension travel in the rear, lower ground clearance and a smaller fuel tank. Are these Canada only models? or are they available in the US?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Very cool! I see that they also have a 250L model that is similar. It's lighter, cheaper, and has 1" less suspension travel in the rear, lower ground clearance and a smaller fuel tank. Are these Canada only models? or are they available in the US?
We've had the L in the states for years but the rally version is new this year I believe.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheelwheatley View Post
I believe the last air filter (OEM) I put in did not seat correctly or the air box came unsealed. I was riding nearly all dirt from FL to TN when it happened. The low oil pressure light came on at idle while I was in the NF in northern GA. It was getting dark so I kept revs up to maintain pressure and rode to the next town (30ish miles). It took 1.75qt of oil to top off and hasn't started since I let the motor cool. I just got it back to Maryland Sunday night and haven't worked on it yet. Here is a picture of the air box access hatch. I rebuilt the top end last year but I think the bottom end is fried this time too. I'm probably gonna swap in a complete motor.
Bummer!

This makes me want to re-check my air filter seating.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bummer!

This makes me want to re-check my air filter seating.
I'm still not sure how it happened but it seems the likely culprit. I've since learned that people are using pod filters on the intake runners as extra insurance for riding dirt. News came a little late for me though.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Update, I just purchased a motor out of an '08 versys with 6k miles on it and 210/205psi compression cold. Hopefully it will be in before next weekend so I can get to wrenching.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

AND - there's a "demo-day" coming on 29April: I reserved the Rally for a 10AM ride!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode