unpleasant - left out in the cold by helmet theft - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
unpleasant - left out in the cold by helmet theft

Biked out to the gorge today to go hiking. PDX'ers, the landslides on the scenic highway have been cleared, and it's now open from Angels Rest to Multnomah Falls.

Came back from a great hike up Triple Falls only to find that someone had stolen my pearl white Arai RX-Q helmet. That is a sh*tty low thing to do. They would have had to cut through a cable lock (the kind that some guns come with) to get it off the bike.

Would have had a long cold dangerous ride home without a helmet, but thankfully my guy (who is mad great and wonderful) was able to swing by with a spare helmet.

Next time I'm tempted to bring a real bicycle chain lock, and attach the helmet to a tree somewhere up along the trail, so that any passing wannabe thief isn't tempted again. Also tempted to decorate my helmets to make them unique enough, or put my name & number on them or something like that.

Any other good ideas for securing a helmet when you're trail hiking?

What kind of person steals a helmet when it's a long cold ride back to wherever without one? Jeez

It was medium size, with a little paint scratch up on the top, new condition. I'll be checking Craigslist to see if it shows up there. Grr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170403_095310_sm.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	118506  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't buy used helmets just because of that.........probably stolen. Sorry for your misfortune. Ya gotta hate thieves.
BettePDX likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If i don't have the top case on i use one of these...https://www.amazon.com/Lock-It-Strap...ds=helmet+lock
BettePDX likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:05 PM

Garage
That sucks. What a jerk to steal a helmet. I mean used helmets are not really worth all that much especially after they contour to someones head. Why even bother.

Hopefully it turns up!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Garage
Sorry for your loss! I always just put the d-ring of my helmet straps through the stock under seat loop but I realize that a lot of helmets now days have ratcheting straps instead of d-rings.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettePDX View Post
Biked out to the gorge today to go hiking. PDX'ers, the landslides on the scenic highway have been cleared, and it's now open from Angels Rest to Multnomah Falls.

Came back from a great hike up Triple Falls only to find that someone had stolen my pearl white Arai RX-Q helmet. That is a sh*tty low thing to do. They would have had to cut through a cable lock (the kind that some guns come with) to get it off the bike.

Would have had a long cold dangerous ride home without a helmet, but thankfully my guy (who is mad great and wonderful) was able to swing by with a spare helmet.

Next time I'm tempted to bring a real bicycle chain lock, and attach the helmet to a tree somewhere up along the trail, so that any passing wannabe thief isn't tempted again. Also tempted to decorate my helmets to make them unique enough, or put my name & number on them or something like that.

What kind of person steals a helmet when it's a long cold ride back to wherever without one? Jeez

It was medium size, with a little paint scratch up on the top, new condition. I'll be checking Craigslist to see if it shows up there. Grr
I had an Aria stolen a few years back too. Maybe it's the brand attraction. ****ty thing to do. FYI - I find Bell fits like Aria if you have a intermediate to long oval head shape, they vent well too.
BettePDX likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Locking with the straps causes them to ruin the helmet. If you are going to have an expensive helmet, have a trunk to lock it in. If i lock helmet and jacket on the bike, I drape the jacket over the helmet.
DaveC and BettePDX like this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Locking with the straps causes them to ruin the helmet. If you are going to have an expensive helmet, have a trunk to lock it in. If i lock helmet and jacket on the bike, I drape the jacket over the helmet.
It sucks but there is really no preventing those kind of people from doing damage though. They will either slash your tires or tip your bike or destroy your luggage. Some people are just plain awful.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Southern Ontario

Not probably the answer you want, but what I have done on several occasions, while hiking on the Bruce Trail, take my helmet in about 300 yards, look for a tree or large rock, hide it behind, carry surveyors tape with you and mark a branch on the trail, this way when you come back you have a idea where to look.Another option is to carry a critter cam, aim it at the bike, at least you have evidence.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-03-2017 at 10:17 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Was trying to not feel so bad .. I mean, they had the means to cut off the cable lock, but at least they didn't cut the brake lines, the cables, the wires etc.

These are some good ideas.

My BF said to try a U-lock next if I'm going to leave the helmet with the bike in deserted no-security places like that.

On the plus side, I only got the bike on Saturday 3/25 and have put almost 500 miles on it already.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had two helmet locks off my Vulcan 1500 that I attached to the top case. It works to keep someone from just walking away with the helmet but a determined thief would have to pretty much ruin the helmet (cut the strap) to get it. I use HJC helmets though so they aren't real high on a thieves list.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Oh that sucks! You are right that is a terrible thing to do to someone.

I leave my helmet on the bike all the time when I travel (usually not even locked), and I've always kind of worried about this.

I just had an idea, I could hide a Trackr in the helmet. This is a bluetooth device that helps you locate things. It has a 1 year battery life, and it uses other people's phones (if they have the app), so you can track it even when out of range of your phone. So chances are eventually you'd get a ping through someone's phone and be able to find the helmet. But then what, right?

I plan on wiring up a dash cam, and I'd like to have a delay on it so it records for a while after I've parked. That might help to catch someone also.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:17 AM

1. It's an Arai helmet. Even the REtards know that it's worth real $$$. I take mine with me. Inconvenient, but necessary.
2. Anyone using a helmet lock that mounts the helmet with the open side up.... carefully inspect before wearing. Bees, debris from trees.... and we once caught four drunks trying to see if they could fill it up, and from how far......

One cannot leave anything of value in plain sight.

My 5 cents worth.

Next opinion, please.

No matter where you go - there you are.

Last edited by kballowe; 04-04-2017 at 08:19 AM.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:42 AM

Take it with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettePDX View Post

<snip>

My helmet *always* goes where I go. I have a backpack with a helmet storage compartment. What they can't see they can't steal.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 04-04-2017 at 10:49 AM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If i don't have the top case on i use one of these...https://www.amazon.com/Lock-It-Strap...ds=helmet+lock
Is this an improvement over the bike lock that you used?

Thanks.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
This is a nice product, and will deter many opportunist punks. However, any thief who is serious about ripping off items will be carrying a heavy duty bolt cutter. They are capable of cutting through most shackles on padlocks. Even a light weight 10" bolt cuter should be able to cut through this item. I attach mine with a d-ring through part of he strap onto the helmet clip and after you close the helmet, and put the seat back on, it is pretty secure. If they want it they have to cut the strap, making resale and use worthless. Worse yet, they tear off the seat with a crowbar.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Is this an improvement over the bike lock that you used?

Thanks.

Never used a bike lock

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
This is a nice product, and will deter many opportunist punks. However, any thief who is serious about ripping off items will be carrying a heavy duty bolt cutter. They are capable of cutting through most shackles on padlocks. Even a light weight 10" bolt cuter should be able to cut through this item. I attach mine with a d-ring through part of he strap onto the helmet clip and after you close the helmet, and put the seat back on, it is pretty secure. If they want it they have to cut the strap, making resale and use worthless. Worse yet, they tear off the seat with a crowbar.
True but the only time i've used it is in a place where lots of people are around. So hopefully someone would notice a guy with bolt cutters..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
True but the only time i've used it is in a place where lots of people are around. So hopefully someone would notice a guy with bolt cutters..
I agree, but it only takes a second. I questioned people on two occasions last year who seemed to be a little too curious about someone else's bikes, and in each case you could tell they were looking to take stuff, not admiring the bike. These days I even put my tank bag in one of the side cases.

Regarding locks getting cut, recently some friends were moving their daughter back from out of state, and they had all her earthly possessions in one of those full size U-Haul trailers. they were parked in a well lit lot of a popular chain hotel next to the expressway, and had a padlock on the hasp attached to the car. Came out the next morning and it was gone. Were able to watch on the hotel security system with the cops the next day, but they could not get a good read on the plates.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
I agree, but it only takes a second. I questioned people on two occasions last year who seemed to be a little too curious about someone else's bikes, and in each case you could tell they were looking to take stuff, not admiring the bike. These days I even put my tank bag in one of the side cases.

Regarding locks getting cut, recently some friends were moving their daughter back from out of state, and they had all her earthly possessions in one of those full size U-Haul trailers. they were parked in a well lit lot of a popular chain hotel next to the expressway, and had a padlock on the hasp attached to the car. Came out the next morning and it was gone. Were able to watch on the hotel security system with the cops the next day, but they could not get a good read on the plates.
Another big issue is that would be thieves don't need to carry stuff like bolt cutters for just about any of locks that are for sale in any of the Big-Box stores. With access to youtube and 20 min of practice, you can get most of those locks open in literal seconds. You don't even need special tools

No Video

More reasons not to buy master locks: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...O54dKuoLCaQXsD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode