unpleasant - left out in the cold by helmet theft - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
unpleasant - left out in the cold by helmet theft

Biked out to the gorge today to go hiking. PDX'ers, the landslides on the scenic highway have been cleared, and it's now open from Angels Rest to Multnomah Falls.

Came back from a great hike up Triple Falls only to find that someone had stolen my pearl white Arai RX-Q helmet. That is a sh*tty low thing to do. They would have had to cut through a cable lock (the kind that some guns come with) to get it off the bike.

Would have had a long cold dangerous ride home without a helmet, but thankfully my guy (who is mad great and wonderful) was able to swing by with a spare helmet.

Next time I'm tempted to bring a real bicycle chain lock, and attach the helmet to a tree somewhere up along the trail, so that any passing wannabe thief isn't tempted again. Also tempted to decorate my helmets to make them unique enough, or put my name & number on them or something like that.

Any other good ideas for securing a helmet when you're trail hiking?

What kind of person steals a helmet when it's a long cold ride back to wherever without one? Jeez

It was medium size, with a little paint scratch up on the top, new condition. I'll be checking Craigslist to see if it shows up there. Grr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170403_095310_sm.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	118506  
BettePDX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't buy used helmets just because of that.........probably stolen. Sorry for your misfortune. Ya gotta hate thieves.
BettePDX likes this.
Duffy is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,554
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If i don't have the top case on i use one of these...https://www.amazon.com/Lock-It-Strap...ds=helmet+lock
BettePDX likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
That sucks. What a jerk to steal a helmet. I mean used helmets are not really worth all that much especially after they contour to someones head. Why even bother.

Hopefully it turns up!
Corvette96 is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Member
 
AngryGazebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry for your loss! I always just put the d-ring of my helmet straps through the stock under seat loop but I realize that a lot of helmets now days have ratcheting straps instead of d-rings.
AngryGazebo is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettePDX View Post
Biked out to the gorge today to go hiking. PDX'ers, the landslides on the scenic highway have been cleared, and it's now open from Angels Rest to Multnomah Falls.

Came back from a great hike up Triple Falls only to find that someone had stolen my pearl white Arai RX-Q helmet. That is a sh*tty low thing to do. They would have had to cut through a cable lock (the kind that some guns come with) to get it off the bike.

Would have had a long cold dangerous ride home without a helmet, but thankfully my guy (who is mad great and wonderful) was able to swing by with a spare helmet.

Next time I'm tempted to bring a real bicycle chain lock, and attach the helmet to a tree somewhere up along the trail, so that any passing wannabe thief isn't tempted again. Also tempted to decorate my helmets to make them unique enough, or put my name & number on them or something like that.

Any other good ideas for securing a helmet when you're trail hiking?

What kind of person steals a helmet when it's a long cold ride back to wherever without one? Jeez

It was medium size, with a little paint scratch up on the top, new condition. I'll be checking Craigslist to see if it shows up there. Grr
I had an Aria stolen a few years back too. Maybe it's the brand attraction. ****ty thing to do. FYI - I find Bell fits like Aria if you have a intermediate to long oval head shape, they vent well too.
BettePDX likes this.
twowheels is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Member
 
twowheeladdict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,254
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Locking with the straps causes them to ruin the helmet. If you are going to have an expensive helmet, have a trunk to lock it in. If i lock helmet and jacket on the bike, I drape the jacket over the helmet.
DaveC and BettePDX like this.
twowheeladdict is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Member
 
AngryGazebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Locking with the straps causes them to ruin the helmet. If you are going to have an expensive helmet, have a trunk to lock it in. If i lock helmet and jacket on the bike, I drape the jacket over the helmet.
It sucks but there is really no preventing those kind of people from doing damage though. They will either slash your tires or tip your bike or destroy your luggage. Some people are just plain awful.
AngryGazebo is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,874
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Welcome From Southern Ontario

Not probably the answer you want, but what I have done on several occasions, while hiking on the Bruce Trail, take my helmet in about 300 yards, look for a tree or large rock, hide it behind, carry surveyors tape with you and mark a branch on the trail, this way when you come back you have a idea where to look.Another option is to carry a critter cam, aim it at the bike, at least you have evidence.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-03-2017 at 10:17 PM.
onewizard is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Was trying to not feel so bad .. I mean, they had the means to cut off the cable lock, but at least they didn't cut the brake lines, the cables, the wires etc.

These are some good ideas.

My BF said to try a U-lock next if I'm going to leave the helmet with the bike in deserted no-security places like that.

On the plus side, I only got the bike on Saturday 3/25 and have put almost 500 miles on it already.
BettePDX is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 902
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had two helmet locks off my Vulcan 1500 that I attached to the top case. It works to keep someone from just walking away with the helmet but a determined thief would have to pretty much ruin the helmet (cut the strap) to get it. I use HJC helmets though so they aren't real high on a thieves list.
Duffy is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Oh that sucks! You are right that is a terrible thing to do to someone.

I leave my helmet on the bike all the time when I travel (usually not even locked), and I've always kind of worried about this.

I just had an idea, I could hide a Trackr in the helmet. This is a bluetooth device that helps you locate things. It has a 1 year battery life, and it uses other people's phones (if they have the app), so you can track it even when out of range of your phone. So chances are eventually you'd get a ping through someone's phone and be able to find the helmet. But then what, right?

I plan on wiring up a dash cam, and I'd like to have a delay on it so it records for a while after I've parked. That might help to catch someone also.
zirconx is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Member
 
kballowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Near St. Louis
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
1. It's an Arai helmet. Even the REtards know that it's worth real $$$. I take mine with me. Inconvenient, but necessary.
2. Anyone using a helmet lock that mounts the helmet with the open side up.... carefully inspect before wearing. Bees, debris from trees.... and we once caught four drunks trying to see if they could fill it up, and from how far......

One cannot leave anything of value in plain sight.

My 5 cents worth.

Next opinion, please.

No matter where you go - there you are.

Last edited by kballowe; 04-04-2017 at 08:19 AM.
kballowe is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lovely, Metropolitan North Idaho
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Take it with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettePDX View Post
Biked out to the gorge today to go hiking. PDX'ers, the landslides on the scenic highway have been cleared, and it's now open from Angels Rest to Multnomah Falls.

Came back from a great hike up Triple Falls only to find that someone had stolen my pearl white Arai RX-Q helmet. That is a sh*tty low thing to do. They would have had to cut through a cable lock (the kind that some guns come with) to get it off the bike.

<snip>

Next time I'm tempted to bring a real bicycle chain lock, and attach the helmet to a tree somewhere up along the trail, so that any passing wannabe thief isn't tempted again. Also tempted to decorate my helmets to make them unique enough, or put my name & number on them or something like that.

Any other good ideas for securing a helmet when you're trail hiking?
My helmet *always* goes where I go. I have a backpack with a helmet storage compartment. What they can't see they can't steal.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 04-04-2017 at 10:49 AM.
aboyandhisversys is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wisconsin, 25 miles north of Milwaukee
Posts: 1,567
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If i don't have the top case on i use one of these...https://www.amazon.com/Lock-It-Strap...ds=helmet+lock
Is this an improvement over the bike lock that you used?

Thanks.
trialsguy is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
If i don't have the top case on i use one of these...https://www.amazon.com/Lock-It-Strap...ds=helmet+lock
This is a nice product, and will deter many opportunist punks. However, any thief who is serious about ripping off items will be carrying a heavy duty bolt cutter. They are capable of cutting through most shackles on padlocks. Even a light weight 10" bolt cuter should be able to cut through this item. I attach mine with a d-ring through part of he strap onto the helmet clip and after you close the helmet, and put the seat back on, it is pretty secure. If they want it they have to cut the strap, making resale and use worthless. Worse yet, they tear off the seat with a crowbar.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
rayj is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:02 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,554
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Is this an improvement over the bike lock that you used?

Thanks.

Never used a bike lock

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Member
 
weljo2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norwalk CA
Posts: 15,554
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
This is a nice product, and will deter many opportunist punks. However, any thief who is serious about ripping off items will be carrying a heavy duty bolt cutter. They are capable of cutting through most shackles on padlocks. Even a light weight 10" bolt cuter should be able to cut through this item. I attach mine with a d-ring through part of he strap onto the helmet clip and after you close the helmet, and put the seat back on, it is pretty secure. If they want it they have to cut the strap, making resale and use worthless. Worse yet, they tear off the seat with a crowbar.
True but the only time i've used it is in a place where lots of people are around. So hopefully someone would notice a guy with bolt cutters..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Video Channel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photos...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
weljo2001 is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
True but the only time i've used it is in a place where lots of people are around. So hopefully someone would notice a guy with bolt cutters..
I agree, but it only takes a second. I questioned people on two occasions last year who seemed to be a little too curious about someone else's bikes, and in each case you could tell they were looking to take stuff, not admiring the bike. These days I even put my tank bag in one of the side cases.

Regarding locks getting cut, recently some friends were moving their daughter back from out of state, and they had all her earthly possessions in one of those full size U-Haul trailers. they were parked in a well lit lot of a popular chain hotel next to the expressway, and had a padlock on the hasp attached to the car. Came out the next morning and it was gone. Were able to watch on the hotel security system with the cops the next day, but they could not get a good read on the plates.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
rayj is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Member
 
AngryGazebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
I agree, but it only takes a second. I questioned people on two occasions last year who seemed to be a little too curious about someone else's bikes, and in each case you could tell they were looking to take stuff, not admiring the bike. These days I even put my tank bag in one of the side cases.

Regarding locks getting cut, recently some friends were moving their daughter back from out of state, and they had all her earthly possessions in one of those full size U-Haul trailers. they were parked in a well lit lot of a popular chain hotel next to the expressway, and had a padlock on the hasp attached to the car. Came out the next morning and it was gone. Were able to watch on the hotel security system with the cops the next day, but they could not get a good read on the plates.
Another big issue is that would be thieves don't need to carry stuff like bolt cutters for just about any of locks that are for sale in any of the Big-Box stores. With access to youtube and 20 min of practice, you can get most of those locks open in literal seconds. You don't even need special tools

No Video

More reasons not to buy master locks: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...O54dKuoLCaQXsD
AngryGazebo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome