love our new versys (1 of 2? :-) already! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Talking love our new versys (1 of 2? :-) already!

Hi, all!

Gosh, so what do I put in an intro post? I didn't meet motorcycles until I headed off to college, but I love to ride and dearly miss, after it was stolen from our apartment parking lot in our newlywed days, my '86 Yamaha FJ1200, which took me and my then-fiancee on a great 9-week, 8500-mile trip up and down the Eastern seaboard. Fast-forward 25 years, and my 150mph days are behind me (until, God forbid, I'm a widower, anyway), and a ride on a buddy's KLR got me thinking... When my wife ended up needing to get rid of her aging and neglected Kawi EX500, I saw a Versys and talked her into a ride, and we were hooked!

We now have Jolly, our 2009 with hard bags, touring windscreen, and a taller sprocket -- and, if I play my cards right, we just might get a [red] 2008 we've already named Chili for her so that this one can be all mine BWAA HA HA haha :-)

We're looking forward to riding much more again as well as to exploring, trailing, and camping. First, though, we have to replace the clutch springs & check the cable routing because of slipping -- or perhaps replace the clutch :-( I found this forum after digging for info, and I promise I'll try to actually read a lot of the excellent information here, and search past posts, before asking all of the same (which springs are best? good vs not-so-good sources? what's the proper clutch plate thickness to see if i need to replace the plates? what's your favorite bike-safe oil now that car oil is so slippery? how much knob do i need for riding trails & power lines but not full-on mudding?) questions ;-)

I'm happy to see some other north-metro-Atlanta balloons on the map and will get myself added as soon as I can reply over there. We'd love to meet other folks and get ahead on getting to know the bike!

Other than that, and in no particular order, we're also parents, pilots, boaters, walkers/hikers, and geeks. I like rougher camping then she does but can't start a fire worth a darn. I read voraciously; she thinks deeply.

Nice to meet you all!

David T-G

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meet-jolly.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	114513  

Last edited by davidtg; 02-02-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: += tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 AM

The North Georgia mountains are a good place to ride. Two wheels of Suches is the best motorcycle campground. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...apD18QoioIajAN

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome.

We(Concours Owners Group, COG) have exclusive use of TWoS the weekend after Labor Day for a camp out rally. We have anywhere from 70 to 125 riders show. Everything from KLR's to HD trikes, hacks, and KTM, along with a few Versii. Ride hard during the day, bench race, pass the 'shine(real stuff) around the campfire and generally have a good time in the evening and night. You may want to check it and us out at Cog-online.com. There will be a thread up as time gets closer in the rallies and events section, southeast. Frugal rally fee. IIRC, this will be the 23rd year of this shindig.

You do not have to be a COG member to attend.

You sound like a good fit.
CJRuffner likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtg View Post
...what's your favorite bike-safe oil now that car oil is so slippery? how much knob do i need for riding trails & power lines but not full-on mudding?) questions ;-)...
Quite a few of us use and recommend Mobil1 car oil, 15w-50, available at Walmart for about $26 for a 5 quart 'jug'. I have a mix of Metzler Tourance

and Shinko E705s between my two Vs.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-03-2017 at 01:21 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Quote:
...what's your favorite bike-safe oil now that car oil is so slippery? how much knob do i need for riding trails & power lines but not full-on mudding?) questions ;-)...
Quite a few of us use and recommend Mobil1 car oil, 15w-50, available at Walmart for about $26 for a 5 quart 'jug'. I have a mix of Metzler Tourance

and Shinko E705s between my two Vs,

but I HAVE run 'knobbies' - a TKC80 120/70 F w/ a BIG BLOCK 150/70 R - for about a year.

Didn't really see the need....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Jolly update

Quote:

We now have Jolly, our 2009 with hard bags, touring windscreen, and a taller sprocket -- and, if I play my cards right, we just might get a [red] 2008 we've already named Chili for her so that this one can be all mine BWAA HA HA haha :-)
Alas, we didn't get Chili, because the engine in our antique airplane crunched itself literally right after we bought Jolly. We've since bought another plane instead of a bike and are once again getting the business off of the ground. Maybe a bike for her next year...

Quote:
We're looking forward to riding much more again as well as to exploring, trailing, and camping. First, though, we have to replace the clutch springs & check the cable routing because of slipping -- or perhaps replace the clutch :-(
Great news -- it was just a cheap handle falling out of position and maintaining stress on the cable causing slippage, just as though one were riding the lever! One [quality] handle later, she now pulls strongly all the way to redline; yay. We're also on new tires after replacing the sadly-neglected previous pair and should be able to wear them out before replacing the chain & sprockets, so it's TIME TO RIDE :-)

We're crossing our fingers for the COG weekend at TWoS, but I have to take my flight instructor check ride the weekend after that and don't know if I can spare the time from studying & practice. Again, next year, if it comes to that, but here's hoping -- and so I'm going back to the books now that I've confirmed the date!

HAND & see y'all one way or another

:-D
--
David T-G

2009 Versys "Jolly", plus other bikes in past lives
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
can't get to the COG site

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
You may want to check it and us out at Cog-online.com.

BTW, I just tried to surf over and couldn't ever get any page content, perhaps because I don't much trust Javascript. Can you confirm that the URL above is correct and not spammy, and do you maybe have a deep link directly to the calendar?

TIA & HAND

:-D
--
David T-G

2009 Versys "Jolly", plus other bikes in past lives
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:41 AM

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Welcome.

We(Concours Owners Group, COG) have exclusive use of TWoS the weekend after Labor Day for a camp out rally. We have anywhere from 70 to 125 riders show. Everything from KLR's to HD trikes, hacks, and KTM, along with a few Versii. Ride hard during the day, bench race, pass the 'shine(real stuff) around the campfire and generally have a good time in the evening and night. You may want to check it and us out at Cog-online.com. There will be a thread up as time gets closer in the rallies and events section, southeast. Frugal rally fee. IIRC, this will be the 23rd year of this shindig.

You do not have to be a COG member to attend.

You sound like a good fit.
Jerry and I each have a Versys. He just traded his Concours off on his 2017 Versys LT1000. I have 2,200 miles on mine and he has 1,000 on his. We rode about 360 miles this past weekend. Your weekend event sounds awesome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2009, givi, givi side bags, sprocket, tall sprocket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode