New Owner, Big plans - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Owner, Big plans

Hey yall, Just purchased a leftover 2015 model Versys 650. Have owned quite a few bikes, listed in order below:

1) 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650 - sold
2) 2011 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP - Still own, will keep forever probably
3) 2007 Harley Sportster 1200 - sold
4) 2005 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - in the process of selling, any takers??
5) 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - New pride and joy

Became a member for the vast amount of knowledge you can get from a good forum. I like to do alot of my own maintenance on my bike, and im sure i will be posting/researching questions on here.

I bought the Versys to replace my Concours. as nice as it was it was just to big and heavy for my liking, and i still to this day miss my old ninja 650, not the fastest, not the best looking, but a damn good bike. So i figured why not get the Versys "version" of it and try and do some cross country touring trips!

My goal for this bike is to make it to the 100,000 mile mark. I have always had a dream of buying a new bike and riding it past the 100,000 mile mark, and think this is the perfect bike for it.

Anyways, sorry for the long winded "new owner" post, just excited about the possibilities with this bike.

Thanks,

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 AM

Congrats on the new bike. I too just bought a 2015 and hope to put many miles and smiles together. Take your time and do some reading here before just buying stuff. I just added Motowerks highway mounts yesterday and they make a hugh difference for longer trips. I also love my Rox risers, fully adjustable. Take and post a picture of your new ride. Enjoy.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats. Watch the chain maintenance like a hawk. Unless they have changed chains since 2011, it is definitely a weak link on this bike for touring. Once I went to a quality chain and sprockets at 15,000 miles adjustments and wear were reduced quite a bit.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

I will post a picture soon. I have spent alot of time trying to figure out what i want to do with luggage/racks. I saw someone post about a givi e-22 which i liked, but also leaning towards a soft luggage for cost reasons. I would also like to avoid having to install a side rack because I like the clean looks with no rack, but not sure what soft luggage allows me to not have a rack.

I would like to install a tail rack though, so i can mount misc. boxes/luggage to it as needed. i like the idea of the highway pegs. I live in Missouri and plan on making some trips to east and west coast so lots of saddle time, and a way to stretch my legs would be plus. Also thinking of changing the gearing on the bike to suit highway riding a little bit. I dont need blistering in-town speed, thats whats the Hypermotard is for!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome From Canada

to the forum
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Keep an eye on your rear brake pads - mine 'died' at about 12,000 miles, while my '08 is STILL on the originals at 70,000 miles! Also make sure the rear master isn't overfull.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I just purchased a new 2015 left-over at the dealership 3 days ago. I bought the versys 650 with plans on doing cross country trip also and think its a perfect bike. Its the perfect compromise between touring and lightweight commuter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Lived in Winfield,MO when i was a kid....Heres some photso when i rode my 09 Versys from Ft.Worth to the Lock N Damn #25 at Winfield back in 2010...

016 by weljo2001, on Flickr

003 by weljo2001, on Flickr

015 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:31 PM

Congrats on your new ride. I'm working with a dealer on a 2016 Versys 1000! Hoping to seal the deal at the end of Feb. they mentioned there maybe another price cut for the 2016's. By the way I live in Liberty. Just moved here about 8 months ago from Wisconsin.

Rob
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Luke, welcome from another ex c-10 owner. The c-10 had 234xxx miles on it when I sold it. Hope to do high miles on my '15 650LT. I just bought the V a few months ago and have finally(with a Seat Concepts seat) pretty much wrapped up the farkling.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I am in the process of "budget farkling" as well. Already have the Givi windscreen, and SW-Motech tail rack. So many options though I have trouble deciding what i want to do next!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=weljo2001;1324249] Lived in Winfield,MO when i was a kid....Heres some photso when i rode my 09 Versys from Ft.Worth to the Lock N Damn #25 at Winfield back in 2010...

My parents have a house right on the river (and half the year in the river) in Ellsbury! Fun riding around that area.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode