New guy in the room - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
New guy in the room

Howdy all, new guy here...to the Versys at least. I've been riding 35 years or so, since a kid, been through and still have lots of bikes. Live outside Atlanta so North Ga mountains are my go to. Lots of years roadracing behind me, but just street riding when I can these days.

I just picked up a lightly crashed 09 from a customer of the shop that I work. His insurance payout was healthy and somehow didn't total the bike. In the end, he was ready to move on to a more updated ride and putting that kind of money back in this one didn't seem reasonable to him, understandably. I made an offer and thankfully he accepted. I've got to put some time and money into it but should work out to be a great deal on a great bike.. Can't wait to get some miles on "Melon", as my wife has already named it! :-)

I've already snooped around a little via Google searches but am sure I'll be around often to learn some things the easy way from the folks that been there and done it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage

There is a lot of good info and advise on this forum

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from Alaska. How bad is the bike damaged?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks!...Jeff, not bad really. Bike was dropped on the right side and the left fork leg impacted a car. The front was a bit twisted but I think is pretty well straightened out after removal and reinstall. Was hard to tell if there was any real run out with them still assembled. Past that, bars, right side peg bracket, and rear master pushrod pretzeled. I've got the necessary parts already but the first ride will answer more about the front end status. I think it's gonna be ok though!

Typical scuffed cowl and covers and a few things that I'll ultimately not be able to live with, but should be a great little rider....All stock except a Corbin and MRA screen. About 22k miles...Complete with the sticky buttons I'd read about here! There one of the next on the list. 😀
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

(Sounds like "melon" IS the faster color, TOO!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:56 PM

North Georgia mountains. Blood mountain. awsome. Do you go to Two Wheels of Suches? If not, check it out. Wolfe pen gap is also great. These roads were made for the Versys.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh yeah! I've been going there for 30 years. Started on the back of may dad's 'wing and still get there every chance I get....not that that's often enough. Great roads around there and only about an hour from my front door.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Out on a short maiden voyage as we "speak". What a fantastic bike this I'd gonna be! All is well in the handling/fork situation. A couple hours scrubbing chain lube build up has it looking pretty sharp!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM

Congrats on the bike. Shoot us a picture of your new ride. BTW, these older Versys make great looking adventure bikes with off-road tires, skid-plates, engine guards etc. I might do that with one later as they are easy to buy at a good price.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmmm...let's see if this works?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170131_134533.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	114449  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
Congrats on the bike. Shoot us a picture of your new ride. BTW, these older Versys make great looking adventure bikes with off-road tires, skid-plates, engine guards etc. I might do that with one later as they are easy to buy at a good price.
Here's what an '09 CAN look like....

Brad906 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:04 PM

Garage
where outside of Atlanta?

Hiya, Brad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
Live outside Atlanta so North Ga mountains are my go to.
[snip]
Hey, cool; we're in Alpharetta. Are you on the Riders Map? I'd love to meet up sometime.

David T-G
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Not on the map, but Suwanee(ish)here. My best shots at day rides are m/t/w as I'm off those days and my son is in school. Weekends are hit and miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode