Namaste from India! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By red liner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Namaste from India!

Got my Versys 650 (you can have any color as long as it's black here in India) in May 2016. It's been a great couple of months and 12.000 miles on the clock.

List of farkles I've got onto the bike:

1. Dimotiv Guard
2. Sw Motech wide offroad pegs
3. Hepco Center stand
4. Knock off Acerbis handguards
5. Mirror extenders
6. Cyclops hi-beam 3200 lumens
7. Home made spools+sliders for the rear swing arm
8. Dual Horn (we need 'em here in India)
9. 2 inch bar risers
10. Home-made luggage rack for the rear (haven't mounted it yet)
11. Sw Motech DIN cigarette lighter adapter (goes into the stock hole on the left)
12. Radiator Guard from China

I'm not a hard luggage person - and riding in India with Panniers is almost like driving a car - you really can't ride through cities. A top box is something I have been contemplating, for the sole purpose of being able to lug lunch around from home. Its not something I would ride with on out of town trips - attracts more attention to the bike.

I'm about 1500 miles into my second set of rubber. These are Michelin Pilot Street Radials (110/70/17 & 150/60/17) and they have been fantastic so far on the twisties as well as the freeways here. Tyres in India retail at about 2 or 3 times the price of rubber most parts of the world because of a rubber embargo enforced by our Government to aid local manufacturers.

Consumable stuff (other than oil) that's been replaced on the bike so far as part of the service at the dealers (warranty coverage is 2 years or 22.000 miles):

1. Rear pads at 12k miles
2. Front left pads at 12k miles (the one on the right still has about 2k miles of life left)
3. Plugs at 8k miles

Some pictures from a few trips!

I would really like to "amp" my mechanical knowledge of the bike here on this forum. I bought this bike so I could tour all over the country and do a lot of the basic servicing myself. I hope to pick things up over the next few months. Just got myself a basic 46 piece tool kit and a bunch of spanners. I have some questions on what other tools I should get, will post those questions on the relevant threads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1465195276255.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	110546   Click image for larger version

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	110554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160730_120740.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	110570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160806_121139.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	110578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160621-WA0001.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	110586  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20160620-WA0005.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	110594  

Last edited by red liner; 12-29-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

When you go to adjust your valves you'll need a 1/4" torque wrench as well as a 3/8", and an 8mm and 12mm "obstacles-clearance" wrench for removing and re-installing the cam chain tensioner. They look like this:

red liner likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-30-2016 at 10:18 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
red liner likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys. The immediate issue I am facing with the bike is a bit of a power loss and then a surge at about 3,000 RPM. I wonder what this could be. Very unnerving when on the freeway or even in the city where I use this part of the revband a lot. I also feel the bike's a bit more twitchy than usual at lower down the rev band (could also be in my head).

I did look up a few threads and there seem to be similar questions with solutions being:

1. Synchronise the throttle position sensors
2. Check the O2 sensor
3. Not sure what else.

Mine's a 2016 V, so I am not sure if the Vacuum mod for the throttle sensors would be applicable.

Will post again on the relevant thread and call out for "The Invader" haha.

Last edited by red liner; 12-29-2016 at 10:16 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Common Problem From Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red liner View Post
Thank you guys. The immediate issue I am facing with the bike is a bit of a power loss and then a surge at about 3,000 RPM. I wonder what this could be. Very unnerving when on the freeway or even in the city where I use this part of the revband a lot. I also feel the bike's a bit more twitchy than usual at lower down the rev band (could also be in my head).

I did look up a few threads and there seem to be similar questions with solutions being:

1. Synchronise the throttle position sensors
2. Check the O2 sensor
3. Not sure what else.

Mine's a 2016 V, so I am not sure if the Vacuum mod for the throttle sensors would be applicable.

Will post again on the relevant thread and call out for "The Invader" haha.
This may or may not be your case, but another rider I knew with a 2015, was complaining of pulling wheelies and surging, what I found was he hadn't adjusted the throttle free play, in all honesty I don't know how he could even ride it. Look at the idle screw/ throttle cam, you will see a pull cable and a push cable, grab your throttle grip and try slight movements, the manual states the recommended free play, I have my throttle set that about .010 free play exists between the push and pull cables. There is an adjustment for this and another thread going describing this.

Read your post a second time, loose air box, loose vacuum lines, defective TPS , this is something you should be going to the dealer about, no harm in asking on the forum, however the end result could be tragic.
red liner likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 12-30-2016 at 09:20 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
This may or may not be your case, but another rider I knew with a 2015, was complaining of pulling wheelies and surging, what I found was he hadn't adjusted the throttle free play, in all honesty I don't know how he could even ride it. Look at the idle screw/ throttle cam, you will see a pull cable and a push cable, grab your throttle grip and try slight movements, the manual states the recommended free play, I have my throttle set that about .010 free play exists between the push and pull cables. There is an adjustment for this and another thread going describing this.

Read your post a second time, loose air box, loose vacuum lines, defective TPS , this is something you should be going to the dealer about, no harm in asking on the forum, however the end result could be tragic.
Onewizard - thank you. My throttle free play seems to be alright, have ridden with this throttle about 10k miles now without a problem.

I will try and open a new thread about this. I have an appointment with the local dealer on Monday, so I hope peeps here check back in to write feedback. Happy new year!
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode