New Versys Owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys Owner

Greetings,

Long time motorcyclist returning after a brief hiatus. I am an engineer - so I like bikes that that don't drag parts in corners - and I don't like to dress like a pirate in public - so no Harley for me.

My last three bikes were a Triumph Thunderbird 900, a KLR 650, and a Honda 599. Each had good and bad points. Power has never been a huge consideration for me - there is a speed limit after all.

In my search, I considered the Versys 650 and 1000, the NC700x, V-strom 650, Triumph and BMW 800s, the Super Tenere, Triumph Street Twin, FJ-09, BMW R1200GS and R1200R, and the Guzzi V-7 and V-9 (which are gorgeous in person - may need one of these at some point).

Found a great deal on a 2016 Versys 650 LT in the fastest color (matte orange), OTD for less than $8,000. So I bought it. Live in Massachusetts, so it will be a long winter waiting until I can get out on the road.

I ordered the 47L topcase and the tank bag. Any advice offered on essential accessories (centerstand, heated grips, etc.) is very welcomed.

MADIRTGUY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks - This site has a ton of info...a great resource.

MADIRTGUY

A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is a man who hopes they are.

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. - George Carlin

Current bike:
Versys 650 LT, Candy Matte Orange (Fastest Color)
Previous bikes:
06 Honda 599, 08 KLR 650, 95 Triumph T-Bird (885cc Triple), 02 Buell Blast, 89 Honda GB500, 75 Honda CB400F

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome...........I re-shaped seat, grip buddies, cramp buster, bar risers, larger windscreen, cell phone holder, throttle lock, and a 12v power plug. Plus the 47L top case. Still to do is the gear indicator and wheel reflective strips (going to do away with the Huffy type side reflectors).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Duffy,

I priced the OE gear indicator - it was pretty$$ for what you get. Dealer suggested aftermarket would be a much better deal. Which aftermarket windscreen do you run? Do you get alot of buffeting?

MADIRTGUY

A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is a man who hopes they are.

Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. - George Carlin

Current bike:
Versys 650 LT, Candy Matte Orange (Fastest Color)
Previous bikes:
06 Honda 599, 08 KLR 650, 95 Triumph T-Bird (885cc Triple), 02 Buell Blast, 89 Honda GB500, 75 Honda CB400F
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:15 PM

Garage
I went with the tall V-Stream on my V-1000 they also fit the V-650 works great ......http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...50-1000-a.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Stay away from the MaKaw heated grips, I hear they are very unbalanced for heating. I just installed the Heat Demons with a PWM for temp control. Good stuff.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 08:18 PM

Garage
Recently added the Koso Apollo Heated Grips. They are fantastic and easy to install...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ted-grips.html
twowheels likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

I'd suggest you get a better horn. I use the WOLO Bad Boy (comes c/w a relay) from H-F for about $30, mounted under the left fairing.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Great suggestions! These will help me to get through winter.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I would skip the center stand and just get a cheaper spool lift stand and some spools for the swing arm (8mm and cheap on eBay). No point in pulling 20lb of center stand around with you all the time and it is easier to work on a bike up on a pit/spool stand.

Engine bars/crash bars are a really nice accessory to have if you ever think you might drop your bike on it's side. They'll pay for themselves if you do. They will also save the bike in a crash.

I would second the Koso heated grips, there is a review of them on WebBikeWorld. Oxford makes decent heated grips for little dollars but it has an ugly controller whereas the Kosos have an integrated controller.

See the Twisted Throttle website to see custom fit farkles listed by bike model.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-01-2017 at 02:12 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:02 PM

Garage
My best advise:
1-Get better (grippier) tires
2- Easy with the farkling. Keep it under 500 pounds empty. It gets top heavy-unstable very easy, and passing traffic (with such a small engine) will become more and more of a compromise.
3- I added T-Rex Racing engine guards. Very happy with looks and protection. Not happy with the added weight.

Ceasar

Don't plan, just ride

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode