New Member in Oklahoma - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Talking New Member in Oklahoma

Greetings guys and gals, Big Jake here. Just made my first ever motorcycle purchase this weekend! Picked up a 2015 Versys 650 ABS with less than 2800 miles on it so practically new! Put 40 miles on it the first day I got it home and I admit, I'm in love!

Big Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Welcome from the land of ICE & Snow

From Central Ontario, be careful who you say that to, personally my wife comes first when she is in ear shot

FYI I just ordered another camera, was asked why I needed it, my response was safety first yah I know, best I could come up with on short notice. You just enjoy your bike, anyone questions the extra farkles, just say everyone on the forum has them
BigJake likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
BigJake likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
haha, yeah my wife is my first love, daughter my second, and my new Versys, well it too is my first love
I sent her a message yesterday when I went out for the first time on it with a buddy just to check in, let her know I was safe considering I'm newish rider. "Just checking in. BEST DAY EVER!!!" HAHA

as far as the farkles, none of those yet but soon, very soon!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
onewizard likes this.

Big Jake

Two wheels are better than four
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:29 PM

Welcome from Texas although I spent half my life in OKC. Plan to be a new owner soon but got to get the Harley sold first. Send us a few pics of your new ride. Take your time and drive defensively as a new rider.
BigJake likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fun, I bought it down in Norman, I'm near the Tulsa area myself. I'll get some pics up soon as I can, its in my buddies garage at the moment and needs a through detailing because its filthy
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 05:32 PM

Just curious. What was it that lead you to the Versys? Did you get the LT model or standard?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i sat on several different bikes before making the decision. cruisers, nakeds, tourers. The bang for the buck and the general love of the Versys in reviews was nice, and when looking at bikes to fit my 6'6'' frame, the adjustable suspension, ergos, and seat height were all bonuses. Plus, i think the bike looks fantastic! I got the standard ABS model

Big Jake

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
aboard!

Did you get the "faster" green color?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-14-2016 at 11:56 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My particular flavor came in the pearl white, though the green definitely looks like it adds 10hp for sure!

Big Jake

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:06 PM

At your size I bet that in a year you will be getting that Versys 1000.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
I'd like to think I will be happy with this bike for longer but you never know. I put nearly 50 miles on it the first day and never felt it lacked in power. I did originally think I would go for the V1000 but never could get a deal like on the 650

Big Jake

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome and congrats...........as mentioned, sooner or later you will get questioned on the "add-ons". Just say it will make the bike "safer". Being a new rider no-one should question that statement. Us older riders have to be a bit more creative. I use the statement that it makes the bike more "comfy".

My previous bike was a 1500 Vulcan Classic FI and the 650 Versys has more horsepower and all around "get-up-and-go". I believe this bike will last for as many years as I have left riding.
BigJake likes this.

Last edited by Duffy; 12-14-2016 at 10:56 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpfd View Post
jdrocks is a pretty big boy, and he works PDG on the 650 PTwin Vs...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:30 PM

Nice, Welcome aboard
BigJake likes this.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Welcome and congrats...........as mentioned, sooner or later you will get questioned on the "add-ons". Just say it will make the bike "safer". Being a new rider no-one should question that statement. Us older riders have to be a bit more creative. I use the statement that it makes the bike more ".
Ha! So far so good. I've got a great wife that is supportive when it comes to my hobbies and now our newest family member, my V650 (still need to give her a name.) As the list grows I'm sure it will become much more difficult to justify the varying costs with her. Right now I am looking to drop the pegs/controls and get some mirror extenders. A new seat would be awesome (open to recommendations, I like the looks of Sargent seat but I don't know if i'd ever have a chance to sit on it, or any other for that matter. Looking into a great bluetooth to connect with my friends as we ride. Just ordered my helmet and some decent gloves, and this close to Christmas I'm pretty much cut off at this point HAHA.

Sidenote, I am changing the oil and went to my local Walmart for oil and thought, "hey I'll grab a filter while I'm here" boy was that a joke. No way to look up the filters that fit my 2015 V650 there and then as fate would have it, my phone died. That said, I admit I'm still confused what the heck filter I should get. I saw this link on another post Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference which makes it look like there are 1,000 options and I should just pick one. Looking for advice, I am going to be using Rotella T6 5w40.

Thanks Big Jake

Big Jake

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

I use TG7317 filters from Walmart.
BigJake likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 05:45 PM

Garage
hi there!
BigJake likes this.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The 1500 Vulcan Classic used the same filter as the 650 Versys. Not sure how many Kawasaki's use the same filter.
BigJake likes this.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Garage
Welcome!
BigJake likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode