650 choices.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
650 choices..

Hi all, new member just registered today. I've been researching the 2011-2015 Suzuki V Strom 650 for a few days now. Only a few of these for sale in my area but I just haven't gotten out to test drive any yet. I haven't owned or ridden a bike in over 11yrs. Last bike I owned was a '90s KLR650 and it was kind of a tank for me. I've been watching alot of 650-800-1100cc Cruiser style bikes as there are alot of these for sale at pretty low prices in my area. Again, just haven't gone out to ride any yet.

Mainly due to me not liking the Harley-wanabe-looks of most of these Cruisers. I just felt these type of bikes would more fit my riding capabilities since they are mostly low slung, weight centered bikes. But I've always liked the more upright sitting stance on classic bikes. I had an old '81 Honda 750-4 as well. But I liked the feel of ride of my KLR-650, just that it was kinda clunky as it was an actual Enduro bike. From all my research seems the 650 V Strom or Versys may suit me for how I plan to ride now.

It seems these two bikes are pretty evenly matched and looks like folks choices are subjective in what they prefer in a bike. THer is a local dealer that has a V Strom as well as a few 650,800, 1100cc Cruisers for sale. I'm thinking this will be a good place for me to first sit on each bike, then if they allow it, test drive a few to see what my riding preference may actually be. Heck, I may find that the Cruiser style may just be what I'm wanting.
Just that with all my researching in past weeks, I'm finding a bigger variety of bikes to choose from and these "adventure" style bikes have looks and performance that seem more appealing to me. I'm also considering my height of 5'9 and 225lbs could be a factor in how much HP I may need to lug me around comfortably. As well as seating height and the leg/foot reach to ground factor.

Now, I did find a seller in y'alls classifieds that has a 650 Versys for sale after just buying a 650 V Strom. I attempted to PM him but don't think my PM went thru without having any posts here. But I'd sure like to pick their brain as to his/her preferences having now owned both bikes. And I'd like to go check out that bike soon. I'm in the Houston, TX area and so it seller, maybe they'll see this and PM me with some info if bike is still for sale. Ready to buy soon and looking forward to riding again soon too. This cold snap that rolled in today will push thru so we have plenty of good riding weather in the Houston area for many months. I prefer cooler riding weather than 100 degree summers.

Hope I was not too long winded as a newbie registered member. Just alot on my mind as to what bike options are out there. Looking forward to researching the Versys now on this site. SPent alot of time on Strom-Troopers site and I understand the bias for what bike one might own. But still some very good info being offered to me so far. Peace, e.

Last edited by ernieD2; 11-18-2016 at 06:38 PM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
There have been several comparison articles written over the years. Versys is sportier in the curves. Vstrom better two up.

Ride some bikes before you decide. Do not buy any bike without a test ride.

Add the Honda NC700X to your list of street oriented adventure bikes.
ernieD2 likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you an article on a MOTORCYCLIST Magazine comparo (6 or 7 pages).
ernieD2 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welome.............and I agree with twowheeladdict. I recently switched to a 2015 Versys 650 from an 05' Vulcan 1500 Classic (it got too heavy for this old man to muscle around). I test rode a Wee Strom and it was too tall (I'm 5'9" also), the Honda NC700 is a nice bike (very similar to the V) but doesn't have the get up and go of the Versys. Also you have to lift the back seat to fuel.............a PITA if you have luggage strapped to the passenger pillion.

Test sit and ride anything that looks interesting. If the seller won't let you test ride it, just walk away. Someone else will have the same bike and will let you ride it even if they do want too much money. Decide which bike you want and then start looking for a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode