New Versys owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys owner

Hi all! I just picked up a 2009 blue versys today with only 2,700 miles on it! I got a good deal on it with the riding season coming quickly to an end. I fell in love with it 30 seconds in on the test ride. I just sold my 1980 Honda cx500 (which I had for almost 7 years) to upgrade to this and I couldn't be happier. I took it on a 40 mile ride today and it suits me perfectly. I plan on changing the oil and coolant pronto (this weekend) since it has done a lot of sitting. My name's Nick and I live in the Cape Girardeau, MO area. Would love to talk with any of you and/or meet up with any of you sometime if any of you are close by. The cx500forum had a fantastic helpful community and it looks to be the same here. I'm excited and plan to have this bike for many years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3893.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	101082  

Last edited by CyclopsRider; 11-13-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: listed incorrect mileage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info onewizard. It looks as though you edited my post rather than replying to it somehow. The brakes have a good feel but yes, I am planning on bleeding them out with new fluid soon too. The bike is in excellent condition, however it was neglected a little. It looks like it sat in a barn for a while. It needs a really good attention to detail cleaning. The awesome thing is that I just recently got a house with a garage. So I'll have a warm place the whole winter now to work on it and get it ship shape for next spring.

Last edited by onewizard; 11-11-2016 at 02:11 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 01:21 PM

I personally ordered a case(!) of Kawasaki Aluma Cool Engine Coolant Fluid which runs about $14/qt. That way if there's issues you can look elsewhere.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-11-2016 at 02:08 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Corrected Posting Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsRider View Post
Hi all! I just picked up a 2009 blue versys today with only 1,700 miles on it! I got a good deal on it with the riding season coming quickly to an end. I fell in love with it 30 seconds in on the test ride. I just sold my 1980 Honda cx500 (which I had for almost 7 years) to upgrade to this and I couldn't be happier. I took it on a 40 mile ride today and it suits me perfectly. I plan on changing the oil and coolant pronto (this weekend) since it has done a lot of sitting. My name's Nick and I live in the Cape Girardeau, MO area. Would love to talk with any of you and/or meet up with any of you sometime if any of you are close by. The cx500forum had a fantastic helpful community and it looks to be the same here. I'm excited and plan to have this bike for many years.

I don't see a problem, says it approved for all metals. One thing I would strongly suggest is change your brake fluid, my 07 had a problem on the left front caliper, came out like chocolate milk, used a vacuum brake bleeder with help, it can be done by yourself, but goes faster with help, as the reservoir isn't that big, so you don't want to let it drop to the point air gets in.
To do a proper flush really involves removing the T stat, unless you just want to flush the rad.
If you attempt to remove the T stat, make sure you have a new O ring for the housing on hand.

And, yes , I was posting very late and thought I hit quote, but really hit Edit--bit of a learning curve here

Last edited by onewizard; 11-11-2016 at 02:13 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from Sunny Alaska!

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips and welcomes everyone! One more thing, I am already dearly missing having a center stand. Especially when working on the bike (I changed the oil last night). Seeing as there's only an expensive aftermarket option for a center stand, I will probably just look at buying a shop swingarm stand or something of that nature for when I work on it. Do you guys have any recommendations as far as that goes?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:12 PM

Garage
I bought a stand from Harbor Freight. I think it was about $40. A lot of people use this same stand but some people don't like it because the rear fender kind of interferes with getting the stand lined up on the spools. They are not completely wrong but I just don't have a problem getting the stand in place. It works great for me.

Keep an eye out for online deals. Someone one this site posted a 'deal of the day' and I got a really nice front stand for $15 +shipping. Can't remember where it was from, maybe Motorsport.com. I know that my local Cycle Gear had both stands for about $80 recently.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great info to be had here.

Ed

2011 Versys 650

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent... Proverbs 17:28
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome from another "new" Versys rider. I traded in an 05' Vulcan 1500 Classic for the V.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the tips and warm welcome's everyone. I am really liking the wealth of information and good people on this forum so far. I plan on being here/keeping my versys for a long time just like I did with my old cx. I am so happy to be on something a lot more modern especially with fuel injection. I just push the starter button and it's ready to go! Knowing that I don't have to mess with a set of cv carbs anymore is such a wonderful feeling.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

And one more question I have that I can't seem to find a definite answer to searching on here. Is the coolant temp overheat warning light supposed to come on for a bulb check when the key is first turned on? Because if it is, then I assume mine is burnt out because it doesn't do that.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:20 PM

Welcome, just joined as well and recently purchased the Versys. love it. I wish I upgraded from my KLR a long time ago.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Welcome, just joined as well and recently purchased the Versys. love it. I wish I upgraded from my KLR a long time ago.
Same here. My dad has an nc700x and a coworker of mine has a cb500x. I was looking at possibly getting a lightly used one of those (as I've always just been a honda guy), but there were no good deals around. I also liked the looks of the versys more, especially in this blue color. When I saw the unbeatable deal on this one, I drove two hours to go look at it. 30 seconds in on the test ride, I already knew I'd be buying it and taking it home with me. It is much more comfortable of a bike to ride on (both riding position and softer seat) than both the nc700x and cb500x. The engine power curve is also much more even/balanced throughout the rpm range on the versys compared to the honda's also. Really the only pro that the honda adventures have over the versys is better fuel economy. My dad regularly gets 70mpg on his nc700x. However, comfort and fun beat out fuel economy on a motorcycle any day (within reason). This is my first Kawasaki and so far couldn't be happier with it!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitramde View Post
I bought a stand from Harbor Freight. I think it was about $40. A lot of people use this same stand but some people don't like it because the rear fender kind of interferes with getting the stand lined up on the spools. They are not completely wrong but I just don't have a problem getting the stand in place. It works great for me.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great info to be had here.
A little late to this thread but...I also have a cheap stand (bought from Cycle Gear, but probably the same as the HF). I too was annoyed by the interference with the rear fender, but I fixed that pretty quickly with a hacksaw, followed by smoothing over the cut edge with my Dremel. As a bonus, I like to think that the extra roostertail helps discourage tailgaters in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode