Hi new guy here, 2015 Versys 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By kilowatt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi new guy here, 2015 Versys 1000

I had 2 bikes, KLR 650 and a Concours 1400. I thought the 1000 would be a good do everything bike. Light off roading, not as well as the KLR and good highway manners of the C-14.

What I got was the worst of both bikes. The high tech maintenance of the C14 without the power. Chain drive maintenance of the KLR and none of the off road ability. I've never bought a bike I hated so much. Getting blown all over the road like a KLR on the highway. Keep this in mind as you read on, before the engine break in, I never had a bike other than the KLR that out performing a Harley was in question. High speed wobble at 95 mph and higher. Side bags compared the C14 were like shoe boxes and harder to remove. None of the rock hard planted stability at speeds of 120 + mph. Yes a120, the C14 was just getting warmed up and felt as planted at 50 as it did at 120. What did I do, I thought.

I did the research, read the reviews, looked at every YouTube video. All the same thing reported, the greatest bike in the world. Some even comparing it to the C14's power and long distant tour. Not true, I thought. The only redeeming thing was I got such a discounted price, I could unload this POS with out a big loss. Did I mention how much I hated this bike.

My riding style reflected my extreme dislike. I beat this bike like I stole it. Hitting the rev limiter more times than any bike I ever owned. Then, it broke in.

Hmmm, wait a minute. After about 5,000 miles, something happened. Was there more power? I think so. I got the handling sorted out with tire pressure and suspension adjustment. But not wanting to go back to my dealer after letting them know my thoughts on this bike at every chance I had. To the point they were going to sell me a new C14 at cost and give me better than fair trade in on the Versys.

I took the Concours for a test ride before buying. Something I should have done before buying the Versys.

I couldn't believe it. The Concours was nice, but didn't knock my socks off. What happened, is the Versys as good as the reviews stated? No it couldn't be. Not after running this bike down the way I have. I can't admit that I like it. I like the power, the handling almost everything now. To the point I'm going to buy my wife a 650.

I'm like Sam I am, Yes I do Like green eggs and Ham.
onewizard and weljo2001 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had a Versys 650 then got an FJR then traded it in on a Versys 1000. Do miss the shaft drive though.

P1010448 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:51 PM

Hello new guy!

By: Another new guy

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I TOLD you so...!

aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

The shaft is nice. Went through my first set of tires. The chain is nexts. I figure 15,000 and I got 12,000 on it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode