Versys n00b in mid Flowriduh - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By SteveJ
  • 2 Post By kiwi 41
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Versys n00b in mid Flowriduh

Hey y'all.

Just joined up. Bought a '15 LT. Current farkles include the gear position indicator, 12v power outlet, the factory top case and a windshield that I never heard of. I can't remember the brand. There may be other little things that my untrained eyes did not pick up on.

I currently own a 99 Connie and a 98 KLR650, both of which are for sale.

I've been riding bikes for 46+ years, only missing one year since 1970. Yeah I'm not young but I'm retired so I don't care.

I generally keep bikes for a while, having owned the Connie for 14 years and the KLR for 7 or 8. The Connie has 234,xxx miles on it, so I do ride a bit.

I'm also an assistant area director for the Concours Owners Group(COG), mid Florida. I plan on continuing in that role. The club does schedule up numerous regional rallies, a national rally, and Ride to Eats in the US and Canada. Anyone wanting info, feel free to ping me. There will be an RTE near Daytona this Saturday, followed by a bunch of us riding down to Orland to attend the last AIMEXPO in Florida as it's oving to Ohio next year.

Upcoming upgrades aside from replacing tires include a volt meter, heated grips, aux fuse box, and installation of real cruise control.

That's about it. The Versys will be delivered on Friday, can't wait to tear around on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi Steve and welcome! I recently joined as well, I remember you from the COG forum. If I remember right you had bought a nice second generation Versys for a good price a little while ago. I see now you have a 2015 model, they definitely look great! What color did you get? I miss my 2003 Connie but I am loving my 2014 Versys 650, I never dreamed a meager 650 would satisfy me but it is a very capable motorcycle. Hope you enjoy yours and maybe get over 200,000 miles on her too!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanx Kiwi and herb.

herb, I never did buy that other Verys, though it was a killer deal from a good dude.(Bob Sherwood).

Color is white. Currently center stand and tire shopping. The rear one is toast and it has a Dunlop on the front that is still OK but it is a Dunlop. Thinking Shinko 705, I really like 'em on my KLR.

Last edited by SteveJ; 10-13-2016 at 01:00 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-20-2016 at 02:39 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
JoeFatManBoobs likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 12:06 PM

Welcome !!!!!!!!

'15 DL1000
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:32 AM

Hey Steve, I went to the COG forum today and seen your post and wanted to reply but since my membership expired I wasn't able to respond. I guess there have been some changes lately to Cog, I haven't been on in about 6 months so it surprised me that I wasn't able to respond. Anyway I see SiSF has been working on his flash for the Versys and yours may be his first venture, man I look forward to you giving us a report on the flash. Also I saw in your thread where Steve is thinking about getting a Versys too, man that would be a dream come true! He is such a great mechanic and willing to share his help and services. He sure has done a great job with the Connies! Look forward to hearing from ya!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Hey Herb, when the time comes, I'll post a thread on it. Right now the V is on the lift getting farklized. I'm retired so things should progress quickly once we get to it. The V could use some help with the snatchyness when first applying the throttle which was one of the issues that he fixed on the C14. It should be great fun working/learning with SiSF on this.

He was/is in the process of getting his own Dyno so we should have good before and after data.

Maybe next week...

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:45 PM

Garage
Awesome. Welcome Aboard

Mel

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Hey Herb, when the time comes, I'll post a thread on it. Right now the V is on the lift getting farklized. I'm retired so things should progress quickly once we get to it. The V could use some help with the snatchyness when first applying the throttle which was one of the issues that he fixed on the C14. It should be great fun working/learning with SiSF on this.

He was/is in the process of getting his own Dyno so we should have good before and after data.

Maybe next week...
Thanks for the info Steve, keep us posted.
Have fun with the farkling!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Phase one and two of the farklization process is now complete.

List:

Chameleon Plus chain oiler
H/B center stand
T-Rex tip over bars with sliders attached.
Six place auxiliary power center with LED indicators
Rostra Cruise
Heat Demon grip heat with a PWM for control
LED voltage "meter" from Sparklight in U.K., trick
brake light flasher, programmable
SW Motech dash mount GPS/phone mount. Not impressed
Ram Mount stuff for the above.
Radio knobs on saddle bags and top box with keys imbedded for instant opening without futzing with the ignition key
Tank bag power cord
Kawasaki tank bag
Throttle Rocker version 1, the good one that's only available in Canuckistan
Freeway Blaster Fiam horns
Evitek LED for low beam
Driving lights wired up and purchased but not yet mounted

The jury is still out on the seat situation, the stocker may work OK with a combo memory foam gel seat pad I have laying around. We'll see

I also may add wiring for my heated shirt.

Now pretty much all I have to do is figure where and how to mount the driving lights and ride it.

This buying a bike thing is a lot of work, glad it's mostly done.

Maybe/probably Alaska next year.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

Last edited by SteveJ; 11-20-2016 at 02:16 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Radio knobs on your panniers...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Radio knobs on your panniers...?

I had some extra keys cut, then measured the knobs to check depth, cut the keys, inserted into knobs and tightened set screw. Knobs from Radio Shack. If you have some with no set screw JB Weld is your friend. The key sticking out is too short to use in the ignition but may work for gas cap. And you can always pull them if you're in a dicey area.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 05:33 PM

Welcome, I'm looking forward to the info on an ECU flash and the throttle "quickness". Any and all short cuts for maintenance will be greatly appreciated.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Welcome, I'm looking forward to the info on an ECU flash and the throttle "quickness". Any and all short cuts for maintenance will be greatly appreciated.
Not sure the flash will happen. There appears to be a lot less room for improvement compared to the Concours 14. We will see what comes to pass.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode