2015 Versys 1000 from Ohio! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2015 Versys 1000 from Ohio!

Hello! Names Jack!

I started riding in December on a brand new 2016 FZ07. Took my MSF course in the spring and got my license.

Really loved the bike, but being 6'4" I found it very uncomfortable on the highway. Due to where I live, its difficult to go anywhere without getting on the highway. So I would end up making circuits around town, and was enjoying the ride but getting bored.

Got into some research and was looking into a Versys 650, Versys 1000, Tiger 800 XR/XRX and a BMW GS800.

Got the best deal and most trade in on the Versys 1000, used with 1165 miles.

Took it out last night after work, put 28 miles on it, mostly highway. Absolute dream in comparison!

Thought I would regret it possibly, but instantly did not when I was on the highway! Super cool bike, got an aftermarket windshield coming, stock one is a bit short for me and the buffeting noise is very loud at the top of my helmet, its actually quieter if I drop the screen lower.

Anyway, thanks for having me! Any recommendations on new hand guards would be welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats on a great bike. I have a 2016 V-1000. At your height you might want to check out www.motowerks.com for some Peg Lowering Block & maybe some Highway Peg Mounts. Made my bike much more comfortable. What windscreen did you go with?? I have a Tall V-Stream coming in today.

Versys 1000 Moto Werk's Goodies by weljo2001, on Flickr

JoeLardGut likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 09-22-2016 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I went with this one. Was going to go with the Puig but it seemed like everyone recommended the additional vent and Revzilla was out of stock on the clear.

MRA Vario Touring Screen

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
I went with this one. Was going to go with the Puig but it seemed like everyone recommended the additional vent and Revzilla was out of stock on the clear.

MRA Vario Touring Screen

I didn't check that one out. Post up your thoughts on it. Heres the one i'm getting have heard good thing on the mid-size one but the guys were shorter so i taking a shot with this taller one....National Cycle | N20117 VStream® Touring Sport Windscreen for Kawasaki® KLE650/1000 Versys

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

I for sure will. Its a few inches taller than the stock one, plus it has the additional visor thing thats supposed to direct the air coming off the top.

One thing about windscreens that kills me is you cannot return them. They all seem to have that sticker that says if you open it, then its yours now.

Looking at yours, seems like its 20 high and 15 wide, and mine is 16 high and 15.75 wide.

Think yours might of suited me better. Suppose I will write it off as R&D spending haha.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I didn't check that one out. Post up your thoughts on it. Heres the one i'm getting have heard good thing on the mid-size one but the guys were shorter so i taking a shot with this taller one....National Cycle | N20117 VStream® Touring Sport Windscreen for Kawasaki® KLE650/1000 Versys
Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Do you mind if I ask how tall you are?

I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam. Rode out with it in the lowest setting earlier it was much better than stock. Then raised it between 1/2 way to 3/4 up and it was really nice. I went out on the freeway and today was really windy. Before i put it up for the day i raised it all the way up and will hit the freeway for a lunch run tomorrow and see if its better. You can post your windscreen on here in the for sale section. It fits both the 1000 & 650's if it a 2015-2016 model bike. Lots of shorter guys on this forum.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam. Rode out with it in the lowest setting earlier it was much better than stock. Then raised it between 1/2 way to 3/4 up and it was really nice. I went out on the freeway and today was really windy. Before i put it up for the day i raised it all the way up and will hit the freeway for a lunch run tomorrow and see if its better. You can post your windscreen on here in the for sale section. It fits both the 1000 & 650's if it a 2015-2016 model bike. Lots of shorter guys on this forum.
I will have to give it a good testing before I decide.

I am 6'4" and a 34" inseam is what I find comfortable.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 12:14 PM

Welcome from Newark.......

'15 DL1000
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:44 PM

Welcome.

2015 Versys 1000LT
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 06:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
I for sure will. Its a few inches taller than the stock one, plus it has the additional visor thing thats supposed to direct the air coming off the top.

One thing about windscreens that kills me is you cannot return them. They all seem to have that sticker that says if you open it, then its yours now.

Looking at yours, seems like its 20 high and 15 wide, and mine is 16 high and 15.75 wide.

Think yours might of suited me better. Suppose I will write it off as R&D spending haha.

JoLardGut likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This one works better than stock for me. I dont get the buffeting like I am being slapped in the head on the highway, but its still noisy. Not really sure how quiet it can even get with one a bit taller like yours. I may end up ordering it just to find out.

What I am trying to counter now is my throttle hand keeps going numb, specifically my thumb. Do you get that on your bike?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
This one works better than stock for me. I dont get the buffeting like I am being slapped in the head on the highway, but its still noisy. Not really sure how quiet it can even get with one a bit taller like yours. I may end up ordering it just to find out.

What I am trying to counter now is my throttle hand keeps going numb, specifically my thumb. Do you get that on your bike?

Nope, The only time i have problems is when i notice that i'm gripping the bars too tight. My FJR had a lots of vibes so i got a set of HVMP Extra Heavy Bar End Weights that knocked out most of the vibes.
JoLardGut and JoeLardGut like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I really dont feel like I am gripping the bar/grip. My hand is not even closed on the throttle, its like resting on it. I dont notice it in my left hand and Im doing the same thing, seems to be just the right hand.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
I really dont feel like I am gripping the bar/grip. My hand is not even closed on the throttle, its like resting on it. I dont notice it in my left hand and Im doing the same thing, seems to be just the right hand.
A lot of guys swear by Grip Puppies.
JoeLardGut and JoeTexAss like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
A lot of guys swear by Grip Puppies.
I am wondering if its from my wrist injury on that hand.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
I am wondering if its from my wrist injury on that hand.

Your pretty tall. Do you feel any pressure on your wrist. I installed the Moto Werk Handle Bar Risers recently and its a more relaxed position for my wrist and shoulders. Some guys on here go with higher risers on the V-650's

P1010504 by weljo2001, on Flickr
JoeLardGut and JoeTexAss like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

I dont feel like I do, I mean maybe there is and I am just not able to notice it because I have nothing to compare it to.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! The issue with your right hand is common, the fact you had a wrist injury will make it more noticeable (I'm one of those). Highly suggest bar risers to get the bend out of your wrist at cruising speeds. Do this for a test, grab your throttle more forward, in other words twist your hand around it more so that when your at speed your wrist will wind up being more straight. It will give you some idea of the relief you will get from bar risers. Good Luck Man, awesome machine.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode