New Forum Member from Missouri - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Forum Member from Missouri

Hello everyone. I joined this forum to begin my research on Kaswasaki Versys models and what current owners have to say about them. I currently own a 2013 Honda CB1100 which I have modded to meet my tastes. My son just purchased a new Yamaha FJ-09 and I really like its versatility. I am now contemplating moving to one of the Versys LT models and doing some light touring with him. Last year we road 2,000 miles in ten days and had a great time. I look forward to learning from everyone and their real life experience, so thanks in advance for the advice and support!

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, you can't go wrong with a Versys for versatility......... I've taken mine on the road less traveled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Lived in Winfield when i was a kid.....Heres a photo out by Lock-N-Dam #25

015 by weljo2001, on Flickr

003 by weljo2001, on Flickr
JoBinBitchSlapped likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome from Kansas City!
Rob
'14 Versys 650
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:25 AM

welcome from K.C. as well
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Maybe "AlaskaJeff" can show a pic from ...the road less traveled... taken just AFTER D2D this past June, while he was 'checking-out' mud...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 09:46 PM

Hey Ron, I am about a half hour from you on the Illinois side.

I have had my 2014 Versys 650 for about a month and put about 1100 miles on it so far. I absolutely love this bike! I have owned a lot of different bikes for many different reasons. I was about to give up on riding for a while because I felt like I was losing my passion for riding. That is until I took a ride on the bike I now own. It has awesome low to mid range power where I spend most of my time riding anyway. This bike will pull the front wheel off the ground with just acceleration without a clutch drop, if that doesn't get the juices flowing you better check your pulse. The riding position is absolutely perfect for my 6' 1" frame. The bike grabs the road very well and gives you confidence in the machine that I love. Fuel economy has been all over the place for me, I have got as much as 57mpg and as low as 40 mpg (very spirited riding). Changing oil and filter is a snap and the easiest bike to change oil I have ever owned. I really like the analog tach with digital speedo, it really works good for me.

Now for a couple of things that I like less, doesn't bother me a lot just something to either get used to or to find a fix for.
First it does vibrate a little in the handgrips and footpegs. I added grip buddies to my grips and that pretty much took care of it for me. The pegs doesn't bother me enough to mess with.
Second is the brakes are a little weak, again nothing bad just something to get used to, they actually stop fine on normal situations.
And last and the most important and one in my opinion is a must fix is the seat. Initially when I first sat on the bike I thought huh this seat feels pretty comfortable. But after buying the bike and riding for more than a half hour my butt hurts like I have never felt before. Almost like a nerve gets pinched to the point where things start to really hurt. The only thing I have tried so far is an Alaska sheepskin buttpad. And to be perfectly honest it helps just a little, not a great deal but a little. I can now ride for an hour in comfort and after two hours it still feels better than just the seat experience.
So in summary the seat is the only real issue with this motorcycle, everything else is in the good to excellent category. JMO

I would say go check one out yourself and see what you think, as close as you are, take a run over to Big St. Charles Motorsports. I bought my brand new 2014 Kawasaki Versys 650 for $4757 out the door. It still has the kawi one year warranty.I know it isn't the LT model but with all the money you will be saving you can spring for the bags and supports.
Or go for the newer body style 2015 or 2016.
Herb

Last edited by herb; 09-22-2016 at 09:57 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Welcome.

2015 Versys 1000LT
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:35 PM

Ron,

I bought a 2015 Versys 650 LT in April. I now have over 2300 miles on it riding here in Colorado. I absolutely love the motorcycle. It does so well in the twisties here and will cruise just fine on the highway. I've not ridden as far in a day as some of the riders on the forum but have peeled off 150 mile rides no sweat. I find it has plenty of power, I like the LT's bags and handguards among other things.

I can't compare the 2015 and later bikes to the earlier generations but 2015 featured a number of material changes to the motorcycle that are said to reduce vibration and alter the styling. The changes were an important consideration for me.

I really liked the Kawasaki green too.

Good luck with your selection.

I used to be Cojacket on the forums now I'm BreckRider!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post
And last and the most important and one in my opinion is a must fix is the seat. Initially when I first sat on the bike I thought huh this seat feels pretty comfortable. But after buying the bike and riding for more than a half hour my butt hurts like I have never felt before. Almost like a nerve gets pinched to the point where things start to really hurt. The only thing I have tried so far is an Alaska sheepskin buttpad. And to be perfectly honest it helps just a little, not a great deal but a little. I can now ride for an hour in comfort and after two hours it still feels better than just the seat experience.
So in summary the seat is the only real issue with this motorcycle, everything else is in the good to excellent category. JMO...
Herb
Herb - you can raise the front of your seat for about $2 for longer bolts and 12 washers, OR order one of the plastic bits that do it, from a fellow in the FOR SALE forum, for around $14....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Herb - you can raise the front of your seat for about $2 for longer bolts and 12 washers, OR order one of the plastic bits that do it, from a fellow in the FOR SALE forum, for around $14....

I have read that this helps for the sliding forward problem (which I don't have) but does it help with comfort too?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Ron! You can't go wrong with a Versys, excellent bike.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Welcome!

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post
I have read that this helps for the sliding forward problem (which I don't have) but does it help with comfort too?
Yes.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome..........I just switched to a Versys (2015) from a Vulcan 1500 Classic. I haven't gotten that many miles on it just yet but so far I'm not sorry. As mentioned a seat mod and risers will make quite a difference in comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode