Newcomer - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Newcomer

Hello!

After a life wakeup call I have decided to start riding again.

I am leaning towards a new 2015 Versys 650 LT ($7,999 + tax & pdi) CDN but they have a new 2014 650 ($6,199 + tax & pdi) as well.

The LT has a 2 year warranty and hand protectors while the 2014 is a base model.

Complicating the decision is the fact that I need to lower whatever bike I choose in order to flat foot.

I plan on taking advantage of all the cumulative knowledge here to help me make a decision.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Check out Moto Werks for a lowering link. Speedy makes great products for the Versys....https://motowerk.com/collections

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Check out Moto Werks for a lowering link. Speedy makes great products for the Versys....https://motowerk.com/collections
Thank you for the recommendation and link.
weljo2001 likes this.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.E. View Post
Thank you for the recommendation and link.

jolazyfat and JoeFatFukr like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
I am leaning towards a new 2015 Versys 650 LT ($7,999 + tax & pdi) CDN but they have a new 2014 650 ($6,199 + tax & pdi) as well.
Hi & Welcome

1. Do both come with ABS? If not that would be my deciding point.

2. As it is the first bike for many years, do you need a new bike?

There are some well farkled second hand, possibly lowered, bikes available in most markets. I am sure there will be some in Calgary, even if there aren't any in Edmonton.

You don't hurt as much if you drop a second hand bike, even if it is new to you.

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

I'd go w/ the '14 - that $1,800 will buy LOTS of farkles!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Hi & Welcome

1. Do both come with ABS? If not that would be my deciding point.

2. As it is the first bike for many years, do you need a new bike?

There are some well farkled second hand, possibly lowered, bikes available in most markets. I am sure there will be some in Calgary, even if there aren't any in Edmonton.

You don't hurt as much if you drop a second hand bike, even if it is new to you.

Cheers
Thank you for the welcome and thoughts.

Both bikes do have ABS but since I have never ridden one with ABS it is not a large factor in my mind.

One of my bikes was a 1971 Norton Commando with drums on both ends so anything with disc brakes seems awe inspiring! LOL

You are right about not needing a new bike. It makes a lot sense to get a few miles in and then contemplate the latest and greatest.

Regards
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
aboard!

I'd go w/ the '14 - that $1,800 will buy LOTS of farkles!
Thanks for the wecome.

You are right about the farkles......they would also be the farkles that I want as opposed to the someone else's.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pulled the trigger on a 2011 650 with 4800 KMS (3000 miles) Motoworks guards, heated grips, and hand protectors today.

$4500 CDN tax in.

Thanks for everyones advice!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 05:16 PM

Garage
Sounds a good buy.

Just need some bags and some LED lighting

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Sounds a good buy.

Just need some bags and some LED lighting
I have started my search for LED lights and there seems to be a lot of options.

What would you recommend?

The bags that have caught my eye are the GIVI E21.

My idea of touring now is motel to motel so I would be packing would be fairly light and space is not a huge issue.

The narrow bags also work for me mounting and dismounting.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I agree with weljo. I'm inseam-challenged (the new short) and the Moto Werks lowering link was worth every penny. I followed Speedy's instructions and lowered the fork tubes as well and am extremely pleased, particularly because as I enter my seventh decade my sense of balance and strength aren't what they once were. Being closer to the ground so I can plant my outriggers is a substantial benefit - to me at least. Thanks be to Speedy for thinking about us short older guys!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:39 AM

welcome

Welcome nice to meet you. I just joined as well.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
I have started my search for LED lights and there seems to be a lot of options.

What would you recommend?
I have had the previous generation of these for 5+ years and they are great 3500LM Cree Led Light x2+Switch - 2allbuyer

These ones are brighter than mine and have a built in dimmer so you can have them at (say) 60% power when on low beam and 100% power when on high beam.

Good luck with your decisions

Alan

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie4life View Post
Welcome nice to meet you. I just joined as well.
Thank you and welcome to you!

I hope you enjoy the forums and get as much great advice as I have in my short time as a member.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I have had the previous generation of these for 5+ years and they are great 3500LM Cree Led Light x2+Switch - 2allbuyer

These ones are brighter than mine and have a built in dimmer so you can have them at (say) 60% power when on low beam and 100% power when on high beam.

Good luck with your decisions

Alan
Thanks for the recommendation.

I will check them out!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:31 AM

looks like you made a good purchase. Now you can enjoy buying the farkles. Makes it feel like Christmas year round. I agree with the motowerk lowering kit, and flatfoot. I parked my bike in the yard. the kickstand sunk in the ground, and the bike fell over, breaking a side panel. over $200 to replace. Also I just ordered a riser block for the front of the seat from member Rawkstar320 for $14. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-lift-mod.html
Hope you enjoy the Versys, and keep us informed of mods you do.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Just saw you're in Edmonton. Born and raised on the South Side....

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
looks like you made a good purchase. Now you can enjoy buying the farkles. Makes it feel like Christmas year round. I agree with the motowerk lowering kit, and flatfoot. I parked my bike in the yard. the kickstand sunk in the ground, and the bike fell over, breaking a side panel. over $200 to replace. Also I just ordered a riser block for the front of the seat from member Rawkstar320 for $14. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-lift-mod.html
Hope you enjoy the Versys, and keep us informed of mods you do.
I picked up my bike yesterday and was able to get a shakedown run made in some decent weather.

Factory windscreen works perfectly for me and I didn't notice any appreciable vibration in the bars or pegs (but my last bike was a 1200 Sportster!)

Sorry to hear about your bike going over. it had to give you a sickening feeling to find it on the ground.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Just saw you're in Edmonton. Born and raised on the South Side....

-
Small world!

Look me up if you come to town and I will buy a wobbley pop in exchange for road stories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode