New Versys owner, longtime rider - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By herb
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By kballowe
  • 1 Post By kballowe
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By BayouVersys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Versys owner, longtime rider

Hello all, I picked up my brand new with 4.7 miles Lime Green 2014 Versys 650 ABS today. It was a smoken deal that I couldn't pass up. It was on sale for $3999 plus $758 for fees, total cost was $4757.
I have been riding for over 40 years and I love to switch bikes every couple of years (drives my wife crazy) My last bike was a 1994 Honda Magna 750,the bike before that was a 2003 Kawasaki concours 1000 and the list goes on and on. I know its a sickness right, but man its great to get the feel of a different bike every couple of years and make it your own.
I hope to gain a lot of knowledge on the V while here and maybe throw a couple of cents in once in a while. Thanks and greetings everyone, Herbie
kballowe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
jo2fat likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hello Herb.

I'm assuming that you bought that bike from Big St. Charles Motorsports.

I work just down the road from them.

Welcome to the forum.

:-)

Kevin

No matter where you go - there you are.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Kevin, Yes I bought the bike at Big St. Charles Motorsports from the salesman William. I would recommend him, he did a super job working with me. The place is under construction and a little messy but they have a big friendly staff and a great selection of bikes. Do you have a Versys as well?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 12:36 PM

Welome !!!!!

'15 DL1000
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-02-2016 at 05:03 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Happy Day!
Sorry for the crooked pic but not sure how to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorcycle.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	97465  

Last edited by herb; 08-28-2016 at 05:18 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Kevin, Yes I bought the bike at Big St. Charles Motorsports . Do you have a Versys as well?
Yes, I have a 2014 in green.
herb likes this.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Kevin, I see you have farkled yours up a bit. I like it!
If you don't mind me asking what kind of windshield do you have?
Also I like your boxes, where did you get them and how did you mount them?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Kevin, I see you have farkled yours up a bit. I like it!
If you don't mind me asking what kind of windshield do you have?
Also I like your boxes, where did you get them and how did you mount them?
Givi D410ST windscreen

Tusk aluminum 27L side cases bolted directly to Givi PL447 side case mounts with the PLX447 kit (must be used when not installing a top case). Note that this also requires you to make a trip to your local hardware store for bolts/nuts/washers/whatever.

See this link

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t-fitment.html

Motowerks handlebar riser
Motowerks lowering link and side stand flat foot
ktmduals steel rear rack

Whelen TIR3 super bright 24 flash pattern red .... used for auxiliary brake light..... and a couple of LED marker lights from the local truck stop - used for additional running lights. Here's a short Youtube video.

herb likes this.

Last edited by kballowe; 08-29-2016 at 09:37 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

My goodness you've been busy You don't have a little KLR blood in you do you? You sure have made the bike yours, that's half the fun I think.
I see you upped the front sprocket too, My bike is still too new for me to do that but its usually something I like to do as well. I noticed today when I went for a ride over to St. Charles that at 5000 rpm I was traveling at 67mph. What would it be running at with the new sprocket? About 500 rpm less?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:05 PM

It's probably 300 RPM difference.
On mine with the 16T front, 70mph indicated is actually 71 or 72mph, according to the GPS.

15/16 = 0.9375 for a 6.025% difference.

5,000 rpm x 6.025% = 312.5
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hello all, I picked up my brand new with 4.7 miles Lime Green 2014 Versys 650 ABS today. It was a smoken deal that I couldn't pass up. It was on sale for $3999 plus $758 for fees, total cost was $4757.
I have been riding for over 40 years and I love to switch bikes every couple of years (drives my wife crazy) My last bike was a 1994 Honda Magna 750,the bike before that was a 2003 Kawasaki concours 1000 and the list goes on and on. I know its a sickness right, but man its great to get the feel of a different bike every couple of years and make it your own.
I hope to gain a lot of knowledge on the V while here and maybe throw a couple of cents in once in a while. Thanks and greetings everyone, Herbie
Welcome! You really did get an amazing deal. Let the mod's begin.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different suspension settings. The Versys has a wide range of adjustment with adjustable preload and rebound damping at both ends. I find the stock settings a bit harsh but everyone has a different preference. This can make a big difference IMO.

Lots of aftermarket parts available for this bike to customize it for your needs. Don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum as there are lots of helpful and experienced owners who have tried different things. That's the beauty of a forum like this is you get to share the experiences of many different owners and benefit from their successes and failures and the knowledge gained. I know I have benefited greatly from others knowledge on this forum during my ~6 years and two Versys ownership and try and pass on what I have learned as well. If you don't already have one get a rear pit stand and swing arm spools (10mm and cheap on eBay). You can download the factory service manual from this site. See sticked link in tech section. The 2010-2014 manual is a few pages in on that thread.

Happy riding.
herb likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-29-2016 at 08:11 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks twowheels I appreciate that! The suspension does seem a little stiff to me and I will work on that after the bike breaks in real good.
As far as mods go, I started already with grip buddies and I bought a tail bag from a forum member here. I am thinking about something for the seat next. After about a half hour my tailbone hurts. Now I know there are plenty of seat rebuilders but that takes a lot to make it just right for you then once its on the bike it goes with the bike. I kinda like the idea of this; https://alaskaleather.com/products/p...epskin-buttpad
Once you sell the bike you can put it on the next bike and its supposed to help with the heat as well, win win. Plus its very reasonable.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! Have fun fine tuning your V to your liking. Lots of adjustment possibilities, check out the suspension setting charts / guidelines in the service manual. From your riding experience you would most likely know this but you won't fully appreciate how well these bikes handle until you get the stock tires off and some proper dual compound sport tour tires. You will be amazed.
herb likes this.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that Bayou, actually I went for a long ride today and I was liking the tires pretty much but I do look forward to the dual compound tires when it comes that time. The more I ride this bike the more I like it. Why didn't I know about this bike sooner. It needs a couple of comfort things which can easily be fixed, but there is so much I like about this bike. My first tank of gas netted 57.7 mpg, not too shabby. It only has about 250 miles right now, not quite broke in but I'm going to change the oil and filter tomorrow. I have been on a few forums so I know oil threads have been beat to death then some so I won't add to it.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have been on a few forums so I know oil threads have been beat to death then some so I won't add to it.
Oh thank you kind sir!!

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode