Versys 650LT - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

11Likes
  • 4 Post By Bug Dr.
  • 1 Post By kballowe
  • 1 Post By jnor
  • 1 Post By kballowe
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys 650LT

One of my questions is if the 650 is a low-end/commuter or can be somewhat of a sport/touring. I might want to do some touring in the future and concerned about peg vibration at highway speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 08:34 PM

Garage
I've taken mine to 15 states and put over 8,000 miles on it since I bought it at the end of May. I've owned a ST 1300 and a BMW R1200RT that I put a combined 85,000 miles on. Does it eat miles as effortlessly as either of those two? No. Does the Versys 650 surprise the hell out of me every time I take a tour on it? Yes. Is it more fun than either of the larger sport-touring bikes I've owned in the twisties? Oh, hell yes.

I've done two 650 mile days and one 850 mile day without any problem. I've found the Versys to be pretty darn close to the other two after a full day in the saddle (Sargent Seat). On a recent trip to WV and VA I was real happy I didn't have to throw the weight of either the ST or the RT through the curves, push their weight around in parking lots, ride them through gravel campground roads, etc.....

As I age I have become more of a minimalist camper/traveler so my gear has both diminished and shrank in size. When I travel I have a Givi V46 top case that is less than half full. My side cases are full and I have a tent and my Kermit chair on the pillion seat. The Versys does excellent carrying all of my gear with room to spare.

The ONLY place I feel any vibrations is in the pegs. I have MotoWerk's highway peg mounts so I move my feet often when riding. The vibration doesn't bother me at all while using Sidi Canyon Rain or Forma Adventure boots.

Also, while I'm sure the Versys 1000 is a blast to ride, I've never once wished for more power. I live in the hills of the Ozark Mountains and can pass anything while going up hill.....I even did it with a rare pillion riding with me last week.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Mike
jnor, HOMERSlMPSON, Kzen and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've done 1,800+ with a Seat Concepts seat. Peg vibration didn't seem to be a problem but I wear heavy soled boots. Much easier on the arches on long rides.
oldcmac likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Yes less is more in my world also. I have owned a ST 1300 and a 2006 Buell Ulysses and found them a joy to ride. The Buell had a great fun factor. I can see the 650 doing the same for me now. The power and the ride came to mind for the 650. Thank you for your help. I am new and this is my 2 post I will look and search for more knowledge.

Thanks Charlie
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Dr. View Post
I've taken mine to 15 states and put over 8,000 miles on it since I bought it at the end of May. I've owned a ST 1300 and a BMW R1200RT that I put a combined 85,000 miles on. Does it eat miles as effortlessly as either of those two? No. Does the Versys 650 surprise the hell out of me every time I take a tour on it? Yes. Is it more fun than either of the larger sport-touring bikes I've owned in the twisties? Oh, hell yes.

I've done two 650 mile days and one 850 mile day without any problem. I've found the Versys to be pretty darn close to the other two after a full day in the saddle (Sargent Seat). On a recent trip to WV and VA I was real happy I didn't have to throw the weight of either the ST or the RT through the curves, push their weight around in parking lots, ride them through gravel campground roads, etc.....

As I age I have become more of a minimalist camper/traveler so my gear has both diminished and shrank in size. When I travel I have a Givi V46 top case that is less than half full. My side cases are full and I have a tent and my Kermit chair on the pillion seat. The Versys does excellent carrying all of my gear with room to spare.

The ONLY place I feel any vibrations is in the pegs. I have MotoWerk's highway peg mounts so I move my feet often when riding. The vibration doesn't bother me at all while using Sidi Canyon Rain or Forma Adventure boots.

Also, while I'm sure the Versys 1000 is a blast to ride, I've never once wished for more power. I live in the hills of the Ozark Mountains and can pass anything while going up hill.....I even did it with a rare pillion riding with me last week.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Mike
Great response..... I've had a FJR, and a R1200GSA....my Versys is still my favorite !!! I've done a couple 7-800 mile days on my 09...yet do do that many on the '16 but will fix that soon
oldcmac likes this.

'15 DL1000
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've owned many bikes in the past. If my wife didn't ride with me, it's a toss-up if I'd own anything larger than this Versys.
Maybe a small cruiser with a big fairing and lower fairings and a heated seat and heated grips for the cold weather. I have heated gear, but I'm still a sissy.

oldcmac likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The engine in my '15 V650 has a really smooth sweet spot starting at 5400 rpm which is right at about 70mph indicated (which means actual speed around 66 mph). So on the highway it is really very smooth. At lower rpms there is more engine vibration but it is not problematic for me because my highway riding is almost always at that speed or faster. If I were stuck for hours at 55 mph then yes there would be some vibration but I don't find it bothersome.
oldcmac likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This bike has less vibration than my previous bike which was a v-twin. I haven't owned or ridden a large variety of bikes, but I don't think the V650 is bad for vibes. If smoothness is a top priority, on of the large highway cruisers may be better. For an all around bike, the V650 is a great bike. Easy to ride around town, fun in the mountain twisties, and quite competent on the highway.
oldcmac likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard! from another Gen 3 owner.

Bought it in July '15, and now have OVER 25,000 kms on it, including 8,700 to Alaska in June over 19 days, so... YES... it's a GREAT touring mount!

-
Kzen and oldcmac like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode