Hello all - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By BayouVersys
  • 1 Post By rayj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello all

I am an older guy (63) and I am looking at the Versys 650 Lt or 1000. I was hoping to acquire information about the two bikes. I started riding in the early 70s and can not tell you how many bikes I have owned. I sold my last bike a little over a year ago. Hoping to buy a bike in a few months. I live in central Florida and do not see myself riding over 2 to 4 hours in a day. I do love a in-line 4 but need to think about what I need at my age. I may look at the Honda cx but like the up right sitting of the Versys and the bags. Thank you for letting me join your group.

Last edited by oldcmac; 08-23-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 54 had an 09 V-650 now have a 2016 V-1000LT. I like the 1000 better I'm a bigger guy so it fits me better with the extra power.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! and sounds like you're headed in the right direction for your re-entry to riding. I share a similar riding history just not as old (50), loved my I4's but I got my first Versys 650 in 08' at the same time owned my now sold and beloved 2000 ZRX1100. I would ride the Rex for a couple weeks and then get on the V, felt light as a feather and longer rides where a piece of cake. The ease of maintenance, comfortable ergos and a bike that handled great with performance to match in a 650 twin...sweet! Post up when you get back riding.
oldcmac likes this.

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:04 AM

53. Downsized from a Suzuki Bandit 1200 to a '14 Versys 650. Yes, I miss the effortless power of the big I-4, but that doesn't mean the 650 is under powered - just rev and shift it a bit more

And as others have mentioned, it's much lighter on it's feet whether riding or pushing in the garage.

But get whichever one feels better to you and it will be a good choice!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Welcome....I'm older than you, and ride about 10K miles a year....Both the 650, and the 1000 Versys' are great bikes, but living in Florida, you prolly should look at some of the heat issue's with the inline 4cyl 1000 (radiant heat)....My 650 will do anything that I want from 2 lane twisties, to 70-80 MPH on the interstate....

'15 DL1000
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 09:37 AM

Hey! Welcome! I live outside of Ocala and I'd be happy to let you check out my bike if you like. I ride a lot (I'm in the Iron Butt Association), but I have to say it's going to take a great deal of farkling to make this bike a comfortable long-distance rider. Still, I love riding it, as uncomfortable as it is. So feel free to give me a yell, and I'll meet you somewhere if you like.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Depends on your height/size. I'm 5'10", 29" inseam. I shortened mine an inch and ride the heck out of it.

We have other bikes, but when the Missus isn't riding with me, I almost always take the Versys.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I kayak some in the Silver Springs area. I would like to see your bike and talk some. I will get with you when I am in your area, hoping our weather cools of a little for some kayaking time.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 05:28 PM

Hey kid, I'm 64 and had not ridden (drove) a bike since 1971. I got a Gen 1 2009 in 2013 and am having a blast for a little commuting, and local riding. I thought the bags were hokey at first, but now have them on about 65% of the time. Especially if I am getting on the slab, as I have Admore lights kits added.
oldcmac likes this.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode