Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Looking to buy and need advice

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Beezerboy 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am looking to buy a 2015 650ABS in white or a 2016 650LT. The LT is 7,999 and the 2015 is 6,999. The only additional fees are TTL. They also have a green 2014 for 6,250. What is the opinion of the experienced owners? Should I buy the less expensive bike and add bags aftermarket? The LT has a 24 month warranty and the others have only a 12 month warranty. Decisions...decisions. I would appreciate any and all advice. I am used to getting advice....I am married! :laugh:

#2 ·
Just to add some more information to my previous post soliciting advice. I am not new to motorcycles, have been riding continuously for 30 years but before that I started in high school and when the family came along I gave it up for about 15 years. Next year I'll be 70 and I see no reason to quit now. Presently I have a Suzuki Burgman 400 and a Kawa W650. I've had a Harley Electra Glide, four BMW's, one with a sidehack, a Yamaha Virago, a Voyager, a PC800, and my starter bike was a Honda sport 50 in 1963! I then stayed with Honda moving up to the sport 90, and a SL360...and then came the hiatus while my young ones were growing up. I guess I am the only one in the family that hasn't grown up! Don't all families have an uncle like that?
I live near New Orleans, grew up there but have relocated to the country so I could build a big enough garage to stable my iron horses,you can never have too many. So now I am looking for the 650 ABS Versys and as I posted in the earlier post I have the choice of three new bikes, 14, 15 and 16 and must decide which makes the most sense financially. I know I can always buy the luggage and make the naked 650 equivalent to the LT but is it worth doing so to save the few dollars? From what I've read there is no difference between a 15 and 16 but the 14 is different cosmetically. Some input would be appreciated.
Keep the wind in your hair and a smile on your face...but watch out for the bugs.

#3 ·
2015 650 abs

I have a 2015 ABS, sold my 07, the changes to the 15 are significant, the 14 is overpriced and I wouldn't touch it.
As to warranty, for me it makes no difference, and I wouldn't be buying it for that reason. The luggage I am prejudiced because I had the Givi 35 cases on my 07, didn't like the stand side opening out and everything falling out. I chose to go with Givi Trekker Monokey Luggage Case Silver/Black (Pair) - 33 Liters/Case, which opens out suitcase style or at the top, love them, price is comparable to OEM. I put on the Bark Buster hand guards and Oxford heated grips, also the V56 top case.

I am sure others will chime in here soon, as there are quite a number with 2015 on this forum.

#5 ·
:welcome: If you might be interested in used heres a nice 2012 in Spring TX for 4500.00 or best offer.....2012 Kawasaki Versys

I found it on a forum i'm a member of and the guys there take really good care of their bikes. Heres the forum sales post....2 Bikes FS/FT - TWT Forums

#6 ·
New to me V 300

I bought a used 2018 Versys 300 ABS last week. It was a fly in and ride home, 360 miles back home avoiding the interstate system. While I enjoyed the function of the bike, it was very hot and after 100 miles my butt was not as enthused as I was about the remaining 260 miles to go until reaching home. East Texas and South Louisiana can be very hot and humid this time of year but I went into it knowing that. I now know through experience what others have written about regarding how hard the seat is.

I have been searching the forum looking for information on seats to replace the OEM. I like what I see and read about the Adcox seat but he is taking orders now for seats that will be delivered about March 2020! I don't know if I can wait that long. Corbin has a nice looking seat and I've had theirs on other bikes before but at $500 and shipping, it is quite an investment for something that bought sight unseen nor sat on may not workout. What have you replaced your OEM seat with and how satisfied are you with the results? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, by me and my butt. I once had a perfectly good motorcycle in all respects but for the seat that I sold because I could not get a comfortable seat to fit me and the bike. I don't intend to do this with the V300 but I need to do something.

Thanks for your input. :smile2:

#8 ·
After 3 years you bought a Bike?

I bought a used 2018 Versys 300 ABS last week. It was a fly in and ride home, 360 miles back home avoiding the interstate system. While I enjoyed the function of the bike, it was very hot and after 100 miles my butt was not as enthused as I was about the remaining 260 miles to go until reaching home. East Texas and South Louisiana can be very hot and humid this time of year but I went into it knowing that. I now know through experience what others have written about regarding how hard the seat is.

I have been searching the forum looking for information on seats to replace the OEM. I like what I see and read about the Adcox seat but he is taking orders now for seats that will be delivered about March 2020! I don't know if I can wait that long. Corbin has a nice looking seat and I've had theirs on other bikes before but at $500 and shipping, it is quite an investment for something that bought sight unseen nor sat on may not workout. What have you replaced your OEM seat with and how satisfied are you with the results? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, by me and my butt. I once had a perfectly good motorcycle in all respects but for the seat that I sold because I could not get a comfortable seat to fit me and the bike. I don't intend to do this with the V300 but I need to do something.

Thanks for your input. :smile2:

I had a DRZ400S with a Corbin seat, they are the worst company I know of to deal with, I went again with my 07 Versys through Twisted Throttle again twisted throttle mentioned it appeared they were getting worse to deal with. So when I bought my 2015 I had the same problem.I know we are talking a X300 , however a seat is a seat.I decided to do it myself, a large part of my comfort comes from my highway pegs .

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/122466-seat-foam-modifications-diy.html

You will also get this :
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/74-how-forum/125578-seat-raising-front-options-methods.html

Reactions: northshore_paul
#7 ·
#9 ·
New Owner of a V300/ABS

Hello everyone. I just purchased a week ago a 2018 300/ABS that had 2,100 miles on the clock. I rode it back home 360 miles on a very hot southern summer day.
This is the third addition to my stable, I currently own in addition to the V300, a Honda NC700X and a Burgman 400. I wanted the Versys because I wanted a lighter bike, good gas mileage and ABS. My Honda does not have it. I can't see myself owning any bikes with a greater displacement of 700cc. Anything else is too heavy, too expensive and gets bad gas mileage. I've been riding for 50 years and have had the range from a 50cc Honda in 1963 to an Electra Glide that I recently sold. Bigger is not necessarily better.
Looking forward to putting some miles on the little V...after a new seat. :laugh:

BTW, I am located in southeast Louisiana, just north of New Orleans and I haven't seen any 300's in this area at all.

#10 ·
Consider playing with a couple things. 1) move the handlebars forward or back a little to make you sit on different pressure points. 2) Us 650 owners often raise the nose of the seat a little bit, not sure if you can do that on the 300. 3) Try a seat pad of some sorts. My friend rides with a not very expensive gel pad from Cyclegear and likes it, I use an Airhawk, many rave about Sheepskin (I know it sounds counterintuitive, but they are actually cool on your butt in summer). Or you can try one of those old fashion beaded seat pads that kept us old farts comfortable thru many un-airconditoned cars. Is 360 miles going to be an average ride for you? If not, maybe some of the above along with shorter outings and maybe taking breaks at say 60 miles would work. Every bit of experimentation is just another great reason to go out for a "test ride" (it works on my wife anyway). Good Luck and WELCOME!

#13 ·
Thanks to all who replied, I am looking forward to putting some miles on the V300, especially when fall finally arrives and it cools down.
When I was riding back from Texas I stopped for lunch and the bike acted as a magnet and attracted a couple people who wanted to ask questions and talk motorcycles. The question they all asked was, "aren't you hot riding" to which I responded, no, it has air conditioning. They looked with a puzzled expression and then smiled when they realized, yeah, a/c when you are moving into the wind. :) Nothing like a motorcycle on the road to get smiles from kids in passing cars and talk from adults of all ages when you stop to eat or gas up....I especially like the conversation from the pretty ladies and they are all pretty to me. :)

#15 ·
Well, um...It's crazy that I just saw your post because I'm in Phoenix right now where my 2017 650 LT is, and I'm getting ready to U-haul it back to Mesquite Nevada on 8/28. I'm asking myself why the heck am I doing this? I have been reaching out in a panic today to folks I know, and I would literally accept a low-ball offer just to not have to tow it anywhere else. I need to get rid of it, and there will be other motorcycles if it's meant to be. If you would like to verify I'm serious, I think that Fast Eddie Copeman would vouch for me. The bike is in very good (if not excellent) condition, 3000 miles and just barely switched over to Mobile 4T. Ed should have all my personal contact info in an email I shot him today. Make me an offer and fly down to get it. You might be surprised at how little I would accept.

Joel

#16 ·
the Versys 300 has one of the worst seats I ever sat on. I see that Seat Concepts makes a kit... might be worth a look. I've put a couple on other bikes & they were good. maybe check for a report. the 650LT seat is OK if you raise the front about an inch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.