Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

What is that whirling noise in 3rd gear?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  sonofnothing 
#1 ·
Yea. Just got a 2011 Versys with 5k miles and I love it. Yep I've been riding bikes for 40years and I really love this one.

Can someone help me identify the whirling noise I hear when I'm in 3rd gear, most prominently noticeable between 3-4000rpm and accelerating.
I'm mistified.

Because it's only in 3rd gear, it seems it's a gear box thing, but the sound is sort of a pleasant whirling noise nothing grinding or shaking as you might expect from the trans.
The bike runs strong always and everywhere even when whirling.

Is this typical for all versys?
Any insights are appreciated!

#6 · (Edited)
The mp3 file is not hosted anymore in the link, but I've got a bunch of helmet cam stuff with great audio of this problem. People were stumped by this phenomenon in my thread, also.

I have since put new chains/sprockets on, so it's not the drive.. I don't know! ONLY 3rd gear around 3-4k yeah! Sounds like a blender.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/10-modifications-performance/19227-3rd-gear-problem.html
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/9-technical-discussion/77969-problems-sound-clips.html

#8 ·
So tell me son of nothing, what year is your bike? How many miles?
I have 2011 with 5k miles. Any general modifications you'd like to recommend?
I love everything and could keep ridin it just the way it is for years but if I were to fool around, I might try things to dampen the buzz in the bars and pegs but not sure what's out there. And maybe change sprockets to drop the rpm at 75mph.

#9 ·
as per the one thread, 2011 and 6k miles.
still a 2011, but with 10k on the clock. What doesn't add up is the notion of chain adjustment being bad/wrong. Why would this noise appear ONLY in 3rd gear specifically?

yes go 44t and you'll love it!

I also added a bar riser and Aprilia Tuono mirrors which sort of helped the bar vibes and mirror shakes. Seat concepts seat (any aftermarket seat), or as some people did, measure/mark where you contact the sock seat, cut out pockets in the foam and add gel seat material to make it more comfy/level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.