New Versys Owner - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By Oldandslow
  • 1 Post By Arion
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By AlaskaJeff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Versys Owner

Hi, I'm Rob from Tennessee,

At the age of 45 last summer, I took the beginner motorcycle course and rode a bike for the first time. I just took the class because I wanted to learn how to ride, but I wasn't going to buy a bike . . .

So, less than 2 months later I bought a bike. A 2006 Vulcan 500, which has been a good first bike. However, when I was looking at bikes I test rode a Versys, and really wanted one -- but thought it was too expensive and perhaps too tall to start out on.

So, this month I found a great deal on a brand new 2014 Versys 650 ABS and couldn't resist. I'm still in the break-in period, but really liking the bike so far.

I'm sure I'll have lots of dumb questions, but I was glad to find this forum and look forward to talking with everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Welcome to the forum Rob and congratulations on the new bike. Enjoy!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Rob from another Gen 2 owner. Don't worry too much about the factory recommended break-in method. Do a search on "motoman break-in" and decide for yourself which is best. You will love the versatility of the bike (hence the name, right)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the welcomes everyone! AlaskaJeff, as a fairly new and cautious rider I'm not sure I'm up for the "flog it" break-in. Actually, with my current commute I can take back roads that work o.k. with the 4,000 RPM manual-suggested limit on break-in for the first 500 miles. I'm still mostly avoiding interstates and other major highways.

Speaking of the manual, it says to have a dealer perform a "first maintenance" at 600 miles. Is there a lot to this other than oil and filter change? Do dealers charge much for these?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Welcome aboard!

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob9876 View Post
Thanks for the welcomes everyone! AlaskaJeff, as a fairly new and cautious rider I'm not sure I'm up for the "flog it" break-in. Actually, with my current commute I can take back roads that work o.k. with the 4,000 RPM manual-suggested limit on break-in for the first 500 miles. I'm still mostly avoiding interstates and other major highways.

Speaking of the manual, it says to have a dealer perform a "first maintenance" at 600 miles. Is there a lot to this other than oil and filter change? Do dealers charge much for these?

They just check to make sure everything is still tight,check chain slack,lube chain,adjust if needed and oil & filter change. I believe they charge about a couple of hundred bucks.
Rob9876 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:50 PM

I thought they rotated the air in your tires and then took a dump.

I'd rather get Hepco & Becker crash guards instead, and protect your beautiful motorcycle. And rear aluminum racks will round out the coverage so the bike has something to lay on, if it ever does fall over.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-25-2016 at 03:54 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome from another new-leftover-green-2104 owner
....and another Rob
Rob9876 likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome Rob from Tennessee. Went to grad school in your beautiful state @ UT Knoxville, a long time ago.
Rob9876 likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 PM

Garage
Welcome from a fellow Gen 2 rider. Have fun and be safe.

Binderline
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Rob - welcome aboard!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you want to do your own maintenance this should help...http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...il-change.html

Lubing the clutch cable....
Rob9876 likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:17 PM
RMS

If you do it your self, save the cash register receipts and date them for warranty reasons
For an extra few dollars, you can purchase the oil and filter from the Kawasaki dealer and
you will be getting a good quality oil filter ..
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
If you do it your self, save the cash register receipts and date them for warranty reasons
For an extra few dollars, you can purchase the oil and filter from the Kawasaki dealer and
you will be getting a good quality oil filter ..

Or get one of these and never worry about an oil filter....Amazon.com: PC Racing PCS1 Flo Stainless Steel Reusable Oil Filter: Automotive

I've had the same filter since 2010.First on the Versys and now on the FJR.

IMG_0120 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0123 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:29 PM

Hi, Rob!

I am considering a Versys 650 and was wondering if you have any insights as to how well it does off road. Not dirt biking, just fire roads, dirt roads, etc. Am considering running part of the Transamerican Trail next year and want a bike that I don't need to trailer to the start of the trail.

I am 55, and just started riding about 2 years ago. Bought a HD Sportster and love it. Just cannot go everywhere I would like on it.

Considering a V-strom as well, but it sure looks like the Versys may be the better deal. Will likely be taking some test rides this weekend.

Have you ridden anywhere off the tarmac yet?

Regards,
Larry

drgunk in Charlotte, NC
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunk View Post
Hi, Rob!

I am considering a Versys 650 and was wondering if you have any insights as to how well it does off road. Not dirt biking, just fire roads, dirt roads, etc. Am considering running part of the Transamerican Trail next year and want a bike that I don't need to trailer to the start of the trail.

I am 55, and just started riding about 2 years ago. Bought a HD Sportster and love it. Just cannot go everywhere I would like on it.

Considering a V-strom as well, but it sure looks like the Versys may be the better deal. Will likely be taking some test rides this weekend.

Have you ridden anywhere off the tarmac yet?

Regards,
Larry

drgunk in Charlotte, NC
The Versys is VERY CAPABLE off-road with the right rider and tires. Many Gen 1 & 2's have done quite well on the back roads and beyond. Yet to be seen for the Gen 3's.
Here is a shot of my 2011 a couple feet from pavement
Rob9876 likes this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Welcome Rob from another Gen 2 owner. Don't worry too much about the factory recommended break-in method. Do a search on "motoman break-in" and decide for yourself which is best. You will love the versatility of the bike (hence the name, right)
Already too late to do that properly. I wish I read that before I made the 60 mile highway ride back home on my V with 0 miles on it. But nonetheless, still followed the procedure after that ride.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunk View Post

I think the Strom is better off road with the 19" front tire. Both are not the most capable, where a KLR or bmw f650/800 would be really ideal.

That said, the V is a phenomenal street bike with the ability to hit some dirt/gravel, for sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode