Sprocket change - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By E327

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sprocket change

Hello all, sorry if this is too dumb but I'm a newbie. Can anyone explain the benefit or why people change their sprockets? I'd like to have 1st gear more useable and I do mainly street / easy riding. Not worried about losing high end speed. Wondering if a sprocket change could make my V feel "less peppy" in low gears?
Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhauser77 View Post
Hello all, sorry if this is too dumb but I'm a newbie. Can anyone explain the benefit or why people change their sprockets? I'd like to have 1st gear more useable and I do mainly street / easy riding. Not worried about losing high end speed. Wondering if a sprocket change could make my V feel "less peppy" in low gears?
Thx.
Welcome from AZ!

FWIW - in OVER 110,000 miles among THREE Vs, I've never felt the need to change the bikes' gearing, and, in fact, IF you ever get into really tough terrain, you'll probably wish it was lower....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhauser77 View Post
Thx.
Well, a smaller rear sprocket(44 tooth) will make first gear more "useable". Mine came to me that way and it lets you go around a 90 degree corner (say at an intersection from a stop) staying in first. AND you get more speed at a lower rpm, so theoretically, but not practically, you would get a little more top speed for top rpm. AND, it also makes your speedometer spot on with your actual speed instead of the speedo reading like 3-5 mph high.
PS: the only dumb question is the unasked one

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 PM

16 tooth front sprocket is the easiest way to go and the quickest. Costs less than $15 so it's an easy and cheap way to find out whether you like the difference in the gearing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
onewizard and 2linby like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
16 tooth front sprocket is the easiest way to go and the quickest. Costs less than $15 so it's an easy and cheap way to find out whether you like the difference in the gearing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I did the 16 tooth counter-sprocket gear change. It is easier and cheaper than removing the rear wheel and as effective.

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd been toying with going to a 44T sprocket to get the lower revs at highway speed and an accurate speedometer, but decided not to (so far) to keep the low speed advantage. In parking lots I still have to clutch quite a bit. I would actually prefer a lower 1st gear! I plan on doing some off road this summer. But I'd also like a higher 5th and 6th gear. A larger spread rather than the close spread is really what would improve the gearing.

Jeff, to answer your question, yes I think going to a smaller rear sprocket would accomplish what you're looking for. You would upshift at slightly higher speeds. You won't find yourself shifting from 1st to 2nd in the middle of an intersection. Just be aware you will lose a little bit of utility at really low speeds, requiring a little bit more clutching in situations such as slow maneuvering in parking lots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in