versys 650 lt vs vstrom 1000 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AlaskaJeff
  • 1 Post By saddlebag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
versys 650 lt vs vstrom 1000

I love the versus, but need bike to be comfortable on highway for 500 mile days. any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
MANY riders of the 650 Versys (myself included) have ridden for 500 mile day journeys with no problems. Will the Vstrom 1K do it better? In some cases. But the 650 V is more than capable. If you LOVE it, why compare it to something else?
turn8a likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabfat slim View Post
I love the versus, but need bike to be comfortable on highway for 500 mile days. any comments?
Define a highway? I call 2 lane blacktop highways.. I separate highway from interstate. For interstate miles there is no comparison between those two choices. Strom all the way.
However how often do 500 mile days? If you frequently take long trips down the interstate, then the strom will serve the purpose better.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Define a highway? I call 2 lane blacktop highways.. I separate highway from interstate. For interstate miles there is no comparison between those two choices. Strom all the way.
However how often do 500 mile days? If you frequently take long trips down the interstate, then the strom will serve the purpose better.
Better yet, an Electra Glide or Goldwing?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Interstate. Rt 81 from Md to Tennessee. 500 miles90% is 65-70mph limit. A few times a year as I have a cabin in Tennessee. By the way I am selling my Electraglide as after shoulder surgery I want lighter. I have a Triumph Scrambler for just messing around. I have owned around 0 bikes over the last 45 years. Fast ones, slow ones, sport bikes, tourers, adventure bikes. The versys 650 looks like the perfect swiss army knife. I am only 5'7" so height is an issue. I tried lowering my triumph explorer 1200 and still felt the bike was too heavy and it would drag hard parts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Interstate. Rt 81 from Md to Tennessee. 500 miles90% is 65-70mph limit. A few times a year as I have a cabin in Tennessee. By the way I am selling my Electraglide as after shoulder surgery I want lighter. I have a Triumph Scrambler for just messing around. I have owned around 0 bikes over the last 45 years. Fast ones, slow ones, sport bikes, tourers, adventure bikes. The versys 650 looks like the perfect swiss army knife. I am only 5'7" so height is an issue. I tried lowering my triumph explorer 1200 and still felt the bike was too heavy and it would drag hard parts.
If you like the 650 engine, you always have the Ninja 650 or even the Vulcan 650. Any of the tall bikes are top heavy, especially with full fuel tanks. Not a big deal under way, but difficult to move around and easy to tip at low speeds.
I'm 5'7" too. I love the little Vulcan. Nice low CG, light, great riding position, has a nice optional windscreen for highway riding. My dealer just got a new blue one in. I fear it will soon reside in my garage...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
if you are only doing it a few times a year, then the Versys will probably be fine Many here will tell you that it eats up the miles just fine, and I am one of them. However for ROUTINELY doing 500 mile days ( as in several times a year) Then The strom is the better choice. I mean there are several bikes on the market that are in between the two you are mentioning, are these the ONLY two? What about the Versys 1000? Sport touring like FJR, or BMW RT?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
...However for ROUTINELY doing 500 mile days ( as in several times a year) Then The strom is the better choice....
I did quite a few 500+ mile days last June on my D2D ride, w/ no problems involving comfort....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I did quite a few 500+ mile days last June on my D2D ride, w/ no problems involving comfort....
yea comfort is relative to the rider.. Personally I have done a couple 400 mile days (not consecutively) and it was fine for that. I really didn't have much issue.. For me however, I tend to like the reserve power, lower revs, and roomier egos associated with larger bikes for eating miles. I don't do it often however, so its no issue for me! 75% of my rides are 200 miles or less, and I am plenty comfy on the VErsys for that.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 05:40 PM

Smile

Quote:
Those are the 2 bikes everyone looks at who buys a Vs. 650, including me. Off road is the more predominant factor to opt for the Suzy. But a (cushy) comfy ride may be another. They sure have a lot of faithful owners who spend big bucks on them (and their vendors know it too); whereas the Vs. 650 is an economical offshoot from the Ninja 650 and one of the most economical bikes there is to buy and maintain.

For me though, it was the midrange cam (torquey speed) and super-moto touring (USD forks.) As well, I have always felt more confident on vertical singles or twins and think they are the best handling bikes there are, tucked compactly below your knees. Mid size vertical twins or singles do well in racing of all types with the BMW F650 single and the Vs. 650 is like that but on steroids.

If you have the money and feel more confident is the main thing. I like knowing I can get out of the way of cars quicker more than anything else. But those 2 bikes specs are so close, which ever you feel more comfortable is the determining factor (and, of course, you have the extra cash.) The Vs. 650 is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden on, but I try to fine-tune my handling all the time too. The Suzy will probably be easier to be more (cushy) comfortable, but I think riding posture is all you need with a stock seat and a gel pad: it feels like magic to me. I think the stock Vs. 650 seat is the greatest I've ever had ergonomically (if you ride with correct posture in a wide range of positions, and God Bless Speedy for keeping all of our old battered knees in the right position.)

Since you have I assume a 2015, you have one hell of a bike(!) so try it before you do something you will regret (severely.) If you are talking riding in East TN: THAT'S GOD'S COUNTRY and the best roads in the world. I can tell you now that you will cry with telescopic forks, 50 more pounds, and NO midrange cam when you hit those mountain roads. That cushy comfy ride is a dual edged sword, where as the Vs. 650 can be as comfortable as you need touring and then rip the hilly curves up better than anyone. ymmv.

Last edited by kawdog; 03-05-2016 at 05:54 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
I can tell you now that you will cry with telescopic forks
Sometimes I cry with V650 telescopic forks, but they always bounce right back.
kawdog likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Those are the 2 bikes everyone looks at who buys a Vs. 650, including me. Off road is the more predominant factor to opt for the Suzy. But a (cushy) comfy ride may be another. They sure have a lot of faithful owners who spend big bucks on them (and their vendors know it too); whereas the Vs. 650 is an economical offshoot from the Ninja 650 and one of the most economical bikes there is to buy and maintain.

For me though, it was the midrange cam (torquey speed) and super-moto touring (USD forks.) As well, I have always felt more confident on vertical singles or twins and think they are the best handling bikes there are, tucked compactly below your knees. Mid size vertical twins or singles do well in racing of all types with the BMW F650 single and the Vs. 650 is like that but on steroids.

If you have the money and feel more confident is the main thing. I like knowing I can get out of the way of cars quicker more than anything else. But those 2 bikes specs are so close, which ever you feel more comfortable is the determining factor (and, of course, you have the extra cash.) The Vs. 650 is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden on, but I try to fine-tune my handling all the time too. The Suzy will probably be easier to be more (cushy) comfortable, but I think riding posture is all you need with a stock seat and a gel pad: it feels like magic to me. I think the stock Vs. 650 seat is the greatest I've ever had ergonomically (if you ride with correct posture in a wide range of positions, and God Bless Speedy for keeping all of our old battered knees in the right position.)

Since you have I assume a 2015, you have one hell of a bike(!) so try it before you do something you will regret (severely.) If you are talking riding in East TN: THAT'S GOD'S COUNTRY and the best roads in the world. I can tell you now that you will cry with telescopic forks, 50 more pounds, and NO midrange cam when you hit those mountain roads. That cushy comfy ride is a dual edged sword, where as the Vs. 650 can be as comfortable as you need touring and then rip the hilly curves up better than anyone. ymmv.
he says he is comparing the v650 with the Strom 1000, (odd comparison I agree) so the power difference will be significant. I think you are assuming he is comparing to the strom 650. Which I did initially as well. I think the strom 1000 at least the latest generation is primarily an adventurer tourer primarily for road use only, where the older storms could at least enjoy a little off road prowess.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
he says he is comparing the v650 with the Strom 1000, (odd comparison I agree) so the power difference will be significant. I think you are assuming he is comparing to the strom 650. Which I did initially as well. I think the strom 1000 at least the latest generation is primarily an adventurer tourer primarily for road use only, where the older storms could at least enjoy a little off road prowess.
Yeah, I didn't see that. That's apples and oranges. Vs. 650 > V650 >V1000. I'd prefer the V650 to the V1000 anyway, on the road or off. Liter bikes belong on the race track, not the highways.

That was how a BMW dealer roped me into the BMW K1100LT: "Riding as much as you do on the expressways, you really need a ...blah, blah, bs." Then it's all over with the test ride, if you are not prepared.

Thanks Ron. I would have never commented but I came in late and with cataracts and all, ha ha. It's probably better handling than a 'brick', but it still has a powerband in the top gear range, that starts at 80 mph - breaking the law. That's no fun.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I didn't read all the posts, but I have traveled from TN to MD and back many times for work meetings. I have only tolerated I-81 for a few exits to get to the next back road.

I have ridden the entire BRP, have dipped into WV, ridden by the Appomattox Court House, etc.

There are way too many great roads between MD and eastern TN to ride with all the crazies on I-81.

The only time I do interstate is I-10 or I-20 and sometimes I-40 because there is nothing to see in most of the states they pass through.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
HEY There Slim!
I'm 5-7 also. Used my '12 Versys all over - 2-lane and interstate. Now have a '15. And I plan to go places. I considered & even tried a bigger bike (MG Norge). But too much is just too much for me - I'm slight (lol) and OLD (60). The Versys can go anywhere I care to go. Nad I can move it without straining my back or hips doing so. So I got the '15 Versys 650 last week. Put on a lowering block from Speedy. Very pleased with my decision.
Enjoy!

OkJohn
2015 V 650 Pearl White
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 04:11 PM

I test rode a Strom 1000 last weekend and I really liked it. I am currently looking for a V 1000 to test ride, but haven't found one yet (I just started looking). I thought the Strom 1000 handled nicely and was very comfortable, but it would take some time for me to get used to the power delivery of the Strom. It has plenty of power but it comes on more slowly. You really feel the engine on the Strom, but it doesn't seem to transmit to the handlebars. I am still leaning toward the V 1000, but I think I could live with a Strom 1000. I love the V 650 but I too want a bit more grunt without having to flog it. If you were interested in a bit of offroad riding the Strom does have a 19" front wheel.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode