Hello, intro. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By kingsqueak
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By 1stversys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello, intro.

I'm likely going to pick up a 650. After the maddening process of picking which bike. Contingent on my fitting the bike at this point.

6'5" 37" inseam which just rules out most other bikes.

I've had a 700 Sabre waaay back in the 80s, wrecked that appropriately as a new rider with no training. Years later I took the MSF and picked up a KLR and after a few years had a Husky TE610.

I've been looking over
  • Tiger 800XCX
    Con: Cost and cost of ownership
  • F800GS/A
    Con: Cost and cost of ownership
  • Vstroms
    Con: Just didn't completely grab me the 1000 twin was most interesting to me. Lazy shifting.
  • NC700x
    Con: Could not fit, knees hit the tank pocket flare grrr
  • Super Tenere
    Con: Cost really, not sure I'd really use the long legs it has
  • Stelvio
    Con: See Tenere
  • Versyseses 1000 and 650

The 1000 was really tempting but I really don't have the time to make use of the long range highway miles it has the edge for and I'd be carrying the weight around all the time. Also, frankly I'm a bit rusty so the power doesn't seem like a great idea just yet.

I think I've arrived at a street bias and mostly regional range. The price, value, lighter weight, overall capability puts the Versys 650 right where I want it.

I live in the Boston metro area and some urban exploring and commuting is on the agenda as well as getting out away from the traffic when I can. I think the 650 suits this well in the balance.

Waiting for some new gear to arrive and then on to arrange some test rides. Hope it fits well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
AlaskaJeff likes this.

Last edited by kingsqueak; 03-03-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 09:49 AM

Hi Kingsqueak and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have made a well informed decision. The 650 would be a great metro commuting option. Let us know if you pick one up.

2015 Versys 1000LT
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

2nd post to get past the restriction on posting.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Welcome aboard! You'll PROBABLY need to 'lower' the footpegs w/ a 37" inseam.
kingsqueak likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 11:16 AM

Garage
I agree with Eddie 100% for ya, lowering the pegs is a must for anyone over 6'.
kingsqueak likes this.

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

The 1000 fit me pretty nicely just sitting on it and a previous gen used 650 felt pretty good too. Have yet to try the 15. There really isn't a bike made that truly fits. The 800 and 1200 GS Adventures are the best I've tried. For comparison, I can easily flat foot those.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
The pegs on the '15 ARE lower from Kawi, but I still put the peg-lowering blocks over from my '09.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Went to a dealer today and sat on the 650. Fit is quite good. I think if I get a seat built up 2 - 2.5" higher than stock, a Moose CR high bar and I'll be set.

I think I may wait for the 16s to come in before buying. The only locals with "deals" are insanely scummy bait and switch type with $1800 in dealer fees etc. I'd rather not even give them my money. The good dealer didn't have any leftovers.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You should fit with the above mentioned peg lowering, seat raising, bar lifting, (I used the 2" Rox pivot risers to further customize bar location and height) and probably mirror extenders. I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I would also look at engine guards, then you could mount cruise pegs to really stretch your legs out. There are expensive ones or you can piece together a set on a budget like I did that work just fine as well.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsqueak View Post
Went to a dealer today and sat on the 650. Fit is quite good. I think if I get a seat built up 2 - 2.5" higher than stock, a Moose CR high bar and I'll be set.

I think I may wait for the 16s to come in before buying. The only locals with "deals" are insanely scummy bait and switch type with $1800 in dealer fees etc. I'd rather not even give them my money. The good dealer didn't have any leftovers.

Welcome, and you will probably want the highway pegs,made by Motowerks, I love them and I have a 30 inch inseam, had injuries to right leg as a teenager so I need to be able to straighten out my legs.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 10:47 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Welcome, and you will probably want the highway pegs,made by Motowerks, and I have a 30 inch inseam.
So that's your help to someone with a 35' inside leg???

WELCOME Kingy from Bwoston, you may or may not get used to some of the replies on here..............mine included!!!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Haha yeah I've been reading the forum for a while. I'm thinking the highway pegs but I've also been having trouble sourcing leather fringe tassles for my bar ends. I'm thinking of commissioning Kuryakn for a custom accessory package.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Oh the only down side to living Nawth Shoa is I can't cruise to Starbucks. Dunks will have to do buddy.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Haha yeah I've been reading the forum for a while. I'm thinking the highway pegs but I've also been having trouble sourcing leather fringe tassles for my bar ends. I'm thinking of commissioning Kuryakn for a custom accessory package.

PLEASE tell me you are joking

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
2nd post to get past the restriction on posting.
LOL! Welcome!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 08:55 AM

I ride a Versys 650 for urban commuting and exploring everyday and find it perfect.

The power is really more than enough unless you're going cross country with gear and a passenger.

For urban riding the height allows you to see right over traffic, and being a thin lightweight bike it's easy to navigate through traffic. Also the tall wide handle bars give this bike a very tight turning radius which is extremely handy in the city.

I recommend engine guards and bark busters because city parking can be rough on vehicles. The first time your bike gets knocked over these items pay for themselves. Also bark busters protect your hand controls from being tapped in tight traffic situations.

Anyway... Welcome!

2008 Versys 650

Been riding 8 or 9 years, and have owned 8 or 9 bikes; its an addiction I can't quit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode