A frog in Melbourne - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Renaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A frog in Melbourne

Hello versys community

Renaud here, I'm French and now live in Melbourne Australia.
After many different bikes, I bought my first versys (2007 grey) back in Paris as a good multi function bike. Needed something to take me to work everyday, with good travel abilities, some fun for the back roads of the French countryside and something cheap to run... just because I'm cheap...

I really loved this bike that took me to many places across Europe, so when I relocated in Australia in 2013, I bought an other one. 2008 green this time.

the bike still takes me to work everyday and we explored most of Victoria together... until late 2014 when I had an accident commuting to work.

A badly broken foot and several months later, back on the road on the same bike, was saved from being written off by the assurance despite only cosmetic damages. Would have been a shame to send this bike to be destroyed when nothing as actually wrong with it...

So I have been riding with my scratched fairing since then happily.

Last week, when visiting a customer, I parked the bike on what seemed like solid ground. When I came back the bike was down on its side side stand dug deep in the sand...

This time the left hand side faring is well and truly dead, will try my best to put it back together until I can score one second hand but won't be good looking...
Renaud is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Renaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
and here is what an ozzie versys looks like!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	versys surf.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	81761  
Renaud is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,953
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Where abouts are you

You in Melbourne or outside it? I have family in Eildon, drove the Black Spur , planning on coming back near the end of this year for 3 months, have a bike waiting for me in Eildon, Dual sport. The Versys and OZ are meant for each other, get up around Cains and there are MC signs posted " High Crash Area" with the motorcycle symbol, and for good reason!
onewizard is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 7,953
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
Hello versys community

Renaud here, I'm French and now live in Melbourne Australia.
After many different bikes, I bought my first versys (2007 grey) back in Paris as a good multi function bike. Needed something to take me to work everyday, with good travel abilities, some fun for the back roads of the French countryside and something cheap to run... just because I'm cheap...

I really loved this bike that took me to many places across Europe, so when I relocated in Australia in 2013, I bought an other one. 2008 green this time.

the bike still takes me to work everyday and we explored most of Victoria together... until late 2014 when I had an accident commuting to work.

A badly broken foot and several months later, back on the road on the same bike, was saved from being written off by the assurance despite only cosmetic damages. Would have been a shame to send this bike to be destroyed when nothing as actually wrong with it...

So I have been riding with my scratched fairing since then happily.

Last week, when visiting a customer, I parked the bike on what seemed like solid ground. When I came back the bike was down on its side side stand dug deep in the sand...

This time the left hand side faring is well and truly dead, will try my best to put it back together until I can score one second hand but won't be good looking...
A real good investment is Speedy Flat foot, won't ever go down again unless in quick sand
onewizard is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Renaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
worst thing is that I have been thinking of buying a foot for quite a long time...

I'm in southern subs of Melbourne, Chelsea to be precise.
Been to the black spur quite a few times indeed!
Renaud is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 11:54 PM
Member
 
MaverickAus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,039
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
G'day Renaud,
I was in Melbourne this time last year for the Superbikes and the Avalon airshow. Had a great time on my 2012 Versys, also did the GOR and Grampians as well as the Vic and NSW Snowy Mountains. Had a great time you can read about it here if you want to.
MaverickAus is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NW Arkansas/SW Missouri
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome Renaud!!!

When you described yourself in the OP (A Frog in Melbourne) were you referring to yourself or your bike or both???
my2wheels is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Renaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ahahah... probably both!
Renaud is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,410
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
in any event..., et "Bonjour"....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NW Arkansas/SW Missouri
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
ahahah... probably both!
Sorry to dwell on this one (l've had some sh8t from French Canadians about it), but do you find it offensive to be referred to as a "Frog"???
my2wheels is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Renaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
Sorry to dwell on this one (l've had some sh8t from French Canadians about it), but do you find it offensive to be referred to as a "Frog"???
I don't mind and I actually sometimes refer to myself being a frog, as in this occasion. so no offense taken here!

I guess it all depends on the context... If someone was to tell me "oh you bloody frogs are all a bunch of ****", then I would be pissed, but it would be due to the tone of the person in front rather than for referring to the green jumpy animal...

In your case, I could assume that French Canadians wouldn't like to be called frogs, as they are not French (as in not living in France) and probably not very used to eating frogs... (not that it is so common in France neither BTW)
So based on this tradition to call someone from a given country by the name of something he is supposed to eat (Roast beef for English, Frog for French...) I guess people from French speaking canada could be called Poutine!

... No offense to my Canadian friends :-)
Renaud is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NW Arkansas/SW Missouri
Posts: 1,049
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
OMG, l think l'd rather be referred to as 'frog" because that Poutine looks disgusting!!!

BTW, l see the Roast Beef/English tie, but we usually get called Pommies by the Aussies & Limeys by the Yanks, oh, not forgetting the unforgettable Honkies by the Negroes!.......
my2wheels is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 18,410
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
So based on this tradition to call someone from a given country by the name of something he is supposed to eat (Roast beef for English, Frog for French...) I guess people from French speaking canada could be called Poutine!

... No offense to my Canadian friends :-)
Phil - how do you like THAT... you 'poutine'...!


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome