New Versys rider - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
New Versys rider

Evening,

As life changes, so does our tastes in our toys. Two years ago I was a pure commuter with a rusty old Honda Rebel. A year later I was waking up the neighbors at 5am with the loud drag pipes on my Honda Shadow. Today a bright green '09 Versys sits in my car port and its keys on my rack.

My current work leaves me with zero commute and possibly even less ride time. We made a decision. Ride once or twice a week for a couple hours then come home and go back to work. The Shadow wasn't going to cut it year around. Seventy-five with no wind protection in winter gets old fast.

After a few months of research and hours of YouTube vids (i.e AndyManCam) I had pretty much settled on the Versys. And I had already found one.

The bike appeared stock at first. Start it, notice the aftermarket exhaust. Sit on it, notice the heated grips. Ride it, notice the mirrors. Pull the seat, forget about the shotty wiring job for another day.

A local family dealer with a highly positive reputation had my Versys listed for a couple months. I finally saw the bike in person, sat on it, eyed it up, and pretty much bought it without a test ride. Stupid me. Two miles into the ride home, rear caliper mounting brake bolt takes a swim and I'm 30 miles from home without rear brakes and two miles from the dealer who had my money.

They took care of me. With my helmet on, the owner could be heard screaming at the technician, I get the feeling that this isn't his norm and upheld my trust until something proved otherwise. A new set of bracket bolts and (with me watching) the correct torque spec...I was on my way home. Nothing other than this causes me concern with the motorcycle or dealer. Had it been a different (new) rider, someone could have died that day. Its been handled and I'll leave it at that.

Fifteen six on the odometer and the motorcycle feels lively. After a couple years of heavy jetted carbs, the FI brought some life back into the throttle. Sans the throttlemeister. It seems to be installed poorly or very old, I may dump them. First some cable lubrication and free play reset is in store. If that doesn't solve it...well, factory bar ends or hand guards sound up my alley. Bags in the future. Maybe some crash guards. Is it true if you flip the windscreen upside down, you get better buffeting? Sounds too good to be true.

Cheers,
Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Welcome!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Welcome from San Antonio, TX.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 08:55 AM

Welcome.

2015 Versys 1000LT
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Garage
Welcome. Great story. Are you a writer?

Enjoy and be safe.

Binderline
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Banned

Welcome Binder, sorry, l didn't read your extended intro, but l'm sure you're an interesting guy...............or a writer!!!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPowers View Post
Evening,

As life changes, so does our tastes in our toys. Two years ago I was a pure commuter with a rusty old Honda Rebel. A year later I was waking up the neighbors at 5am with the loud drag pipes on my Honda Shadow. Today a bright green '09 Versys sits in my car port and its keys on my rack.

My current work leaves me with zero commute and possibly even less ride time. We made a decision. Ride once or twice a week for a couple hours then come home and go back to work. The Shadow wasn't going to cut it year around. Seventy-five with no wind protection in winter gets old fast.

After a few months of research and hours of YouTube vids (i.e AndyManCam) I had pretty much settled on the Versys. And I had already found one.

The bike appeared stock at first. Start it, notice the aftermarket exhaust. Sit on it, notice the heated grips. Ride it, notice the mirrors. Pull the seat, forget about the shotty wiring job for another day.

A local family dealer with a highly positive reputation had my Versys listed for a couple months. I finally saw the bike in person, sat on it, eyed it up, and pretty much bought it without a test ride. Stupid me. Two miles into the ride home, rear caliper mounting brake bolt takes a swim and I'm 30 miles from home without rear brakes and two miles from the dealer who had my money.

They took care of me. With my helmet on, the owner could be heard screaming at the technician, I get the feeling that this isn't his norm and upheld my trust until something proved otherwise. A new set of bracket bolts and (with me watching) the correct torque spec...I was on my way home. Nothing other than this causes me concern with the motorcycle or dealer. Had it been a different (new) rider, someone could have died that day. Its been handled and I'll leave it at that.

Fifteen six on the odometer and the motorcycle feels lively. After a couple years of heavy jetted carbs, the FI brought some life back into the throttle. Sans the throttlemeister. It seems to be installed poorly or very old, I may dump them. First some cable lubrication and free play reset is in store. If that doesn't solve it...well, factory bar ends or hand guards sound up my alley. Bags in the future. Maybe some crash guards. Is it true if you flip the windscreen upside down, you get better buffeting? Sounds too good to be true.

Cheers,
Grant
It is important to eliminate slack between push and pull throttle cables for good response and lube them occasionally.

Recommend VStream windshield (with some foam tape to kill fairing buzz/rattle), tank bag, soft panniers like Cortech (if touring), and a top box for touring, commuting and grocery getting. SW-Motech crash bars are also very handy and protect the bike on it's side. IMO hand guards are an appearance thing and basically uselessly functionally.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Welcome aboard!

LOTS of good info on this site, along w/ some of the usual BS, but you'll figure THAT out I'm sure!
kohburn likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderline View Post
Welcome. Great story. Are you a writer?

Enjoy and be safe.
Nope. We work with kids at a boarding school and have copious amounts of paper trails. When you've got little to say but lots of empty space, you get a little creative. That and beer. I think beer was involved in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post

It is important to eliminate slack between push and pull throttle cables for good response and lube them occasionally.

Recommend VStream windshield (with some foam tape to kill fairing buzz/rattle), tank bag, soft panniers like Cortech (if touring), and a top box for touring, commuting and grocery getting. SW-Motech crash bars are also very handy and protect the bike on it's side. IMO hand guards are an appearance thing and basically uselessly functionally.
Thanks twowheels. I did a quick overview of the cables this afternoon. The Throttlemeister was my original concern. Pulling off the right bar weigh gave me better return so I swapped the left weight for the right, adjusted minimally, and had a good twenty miles with predictable throttle response. The motorcycle also has some off-brand heated grips, which, unfortunate, work fairly well but the wiring routing is atrocious. I'll have to deal with that a later day.

Bags are my next step. In the spring I'll be making no couple local tours and a jaunt to Chicago. The hand guards are more of a concern for wind. I despise being wired at my hands and would rather stick with heated grips, keep the wind off the backs with the guards.

Having not touched a stock Versys, I'm led to believe from reviews that my steed may have more aftermarket work than I could tell at first glance. Today's ride was very spirited and the motorcycle was very confident. I'll have to look with more detail at what's on in its current state. Front end wants to come up at some later points in throttle between early gears. Considering this and the fact of the adjustable front suspension it may just be set a little slack.

Much to learn.

Thanks everyone,
GTP
kohburn likes this.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I tried different windscreens and my favorite was a stock/givi combo. Stock Screen upside down and attach a Givi to it. Drilled an extra set of holes in both then attached them.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I tried different windscreens and my favorite was a stock/givi combo. Stock Screen upside down and attach a Givi to it. Drilled an extra set of holes in both then attached them.
Now that's fantastic. Y'all are some ingenuous folk.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Research shows a Two Brother's slip on exhaust. Wonder what else I may find!
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Evening,

Cheers,
Grant
Welcome aboard.
I'll probably be seeing you around. I thought I had the only green 09 in the area, now I suppose there are two of us.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Welcome aboard.
I'll probably be seeing you around. I thought I had the only green 09 in the area, now I suppose there are two of us.
Looks like we're a few miles apart. If you're ever going to be in the Hershey area we've got some great back-road riding. When I still had the Shadow and we were new to the campus, I went on a jaunt past the north end of campus. Ended up lugging the brute through twenty miles of hills and tight turns. It was terrifying at the time but I need to go back with the Versys. Perfect bike for the road. PM if your ever going to make it up here!

Cheers,

-GTP
2009 Versys "Greenie"
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 07:39 PM
Banned

Hi Grant & welcome.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Looks like we're a few miles apart. If you're ever going to be in the Hershey area we've got some great back-road riding. When I still had the Shadow and we were new to the campus, I went on a jaunt past the north end of campus. Ended up lugging the brute through twenty miles of hills and tight turns. It was terrifying at the time but I need to go back with the Versys. Perfect bike for the road. PM if your ever going to make it up here!

Cheers,
I don't get out to Hershey often but I do occasionally get up around Harrisburg or York.
I bet this kind of looks like yours.

STUPID IS THE NEW NORMAL
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 08:37 PM

Welcome and enjoy the Versys!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Maybe someone can help identify this. This morning I was tidying up after a bit of rain and noticed a small black wired box with a large USB port. No markings or text. Immediately I got excited that the previous owner had done some work I had planned (this bike has come with a couple surprises) but from the looks of it this may be some aftermarket power commander. Wiring runs into the loom and down into, what looks to me, a knock or...barometric pressure sensor? I'm not super familiar with the Versys yet but this doesn't look factory. Nothing happens when I plug a USB powered device into the block.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1454348799957.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	79449  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also noticed this today...labeled "Powerplug" but it looks smaller than a 12v plug. Located under the pillion seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1454353705989.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	79457   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1454353720953.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	79465  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode