Newbie Questions~ - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Newbie Questions~

Hey my name is Will I live in Portland. Just got off active duty I"m 23yrs old and bought a 2009 Versys (650) Great bike! I have been doing some extensive research into crash bars I see the SW Motech are very popular but I was looking into something that adds more protection to the cowlings.
More then likely my bike will get hit in my townhouse parking lot

So anyway I posted a couple of promising looking crash bars and engine guards that may offer more fairing protection then the SW bars

Here we go top pick
1) T- Rex Engine Guards
Amazon.com: T-Rex Racing 2006 -2014 Kawasaki VERSYS Engine Guard Crash Bar Cages - Green: Automotive

2) Happy Trails Engine Guards
Kawasaki Versys Engine Guard

3) H&B Guards
Hepco & Becker Crashbar / Engine Guard Black - Versys 650 '07-'09: Accessories International

Tell me what you think what I am really trying to avoid is smashing the cowlings when it falls over! I've already looked at many other topics but I HAVE not seen these items on any forum (besides the SW) hoping to get some good feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Will,
I have the Givi engine guards with the T-Rex Frame sliders together. There was a little grinding to get them to fit together but they work well together. T-Rex also makes a nice front axle slider as well. Their engine guards look pretty cool, they weren't around when I was building up my bike. Also a good solid set of hand guards like Barkbusters or Cycra are a wise addition too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Last edited by AlaskaJeff; 01-26-2016 at 01:15 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Okay I am pretty handy. I like the tRex set from amazon but I haven't seen it on any bike (other then the pics provided by Amazon) I am really thinking of going that route I like where the contact points are. Do your frame sliders mount to the cowling???

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:24 AM

I just found the T-rex's last week and will be installing them this spring along with the T-rex lowering link, but as for how it actually looks or goes together, I can't say.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
welcome to the nut house hit me up if you want any help or wanna ride together some time ^_^ (also in pdx)
as for parking are you on the ground floor? do you have a porch or deck?

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier1390 View Post
Okay I am pretty handy. I like the tRex set from amazon but I haven't seen it on any bike (other then the pics provided by Amazon) I am really thinking of going that route I like where the contact points are. Do your frame sliders mount to the cowling???
The frame sliders mount in the same location as the front of the Givi crash bars. They are mounted directly to the frame. If you search my older posts you will find some detailed pictures of my install on the Givi engine guards and the T-Rex sliders.
Funny I went to the T-Rex Racing website and they didn't even have a listing for the Versys engine guards. I would like to see more of it too, especially the little skid plate they show in one of the pictures of all the components. You really can't see how it's attached though.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I had Hepko-Becker guards (along w/ ZETA XC handguards) on my '08 when I low-sided at 20 mph, and except for a few scratches, the bike was protected (bent the shifter which I bent back), but then I changed over to SW-Motech BECAUSE I wanted to use the SW-Motech skid-plate, which would NOT work w/ H-B crash bars.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

I think I am going with the guards off amazon they look like they offer max protection. I like the SW MOTECH crash bars however if (when) I lay my bike down I don't want the cowlings to be destroyed also which I have seen in many pics of riders who have crashed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
welcome to the nut house hit me up if you want any help or wanna ride together some time ^_^ (also in pdx)
as for parking are you on the ground floor? do you have a porch or deck?

Absolutely man I'll hit you up especially if it gets nicer. I have been riding to school but I don't exactly enjoy the weather lol. I have a parking lot I don't really have a big enough balcony to put the bike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier1390 View Post
Absolutely man I'll hit you up especially if it gets nicer. I have been riding to school but I don't exactly enjoy the weather lol. I have a parking lot I don't really have a big enough balcony to put the bike
well welcome to the pacific north west were the weather is anytihng but your friend just get some good gear, heated grips and it really isnt that bad

oh and as for parking in a lot , hug a pole if you can , it will give you something to chain your bike to and also makes it a bit less likely to get backed into or something like that

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode