Hello from Florida - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Introductions Just joined? Tell us about yourself and your ride.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hello from Florida

Trying to gather information about the Versys 1K. I am replacing my dearly departed BMW LT that was tragically taken from me by a pickup truck back in November of 2015. Almost back to being able to ride so time to start looking in earnest.

Thank you in advance for the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 10:58 PM

Garage
Great bike, what would you like to know?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 08:08 AM

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and members here, so hopefully you get the info you want.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Welcome, and ...

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Great bike, what would you like to know?

Been reading about maintenance and such. I'm not a great wrench but would like to do all the normal stuff. Both my Nomad and LT are/were shaft drive so a chain is a new animal for me. Also trying to figure out throttle lock or cruise options for the bike.

I'm also debating the 650 vs. 1K. Leaning toward the 1K because I do a lot of long distance riding, or have in the past. With my current recuperation for our accident, I don't know if that will be cut out or just put on hold for awhile.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and members here, so hopefully you get the info you want.
Thank you. I've been reading quite a bit already just trying to get a feel for the board and what information is available.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:45 AM

Garage
Can't help with specific Versys 1000 maintenance information but general information with chains is keep them clean and lubricated. Check the chain tension regular and make sure it is aligned (don't trust the marks on the swingarm until you know they are right).
You can get cheap throttle locks, more expensive throttle locks or full on electronic cruise control like a car system (very expensive). This video may help
Ahh the age old 650 vs 1000 question. My background is mostly middleweight road bikes and small dual sports. I like middleweight bikes, a lot. I have owned a 2012 Versys 650 for 2 and a half years and done 45,000 km on it. It is brilliant in the tight stuff and a fantastic all round bike, I have toured on it I did an 8,000 km trip and a 5,000 km trip all loaded up with luggage and the 650 did it fairly comfortably, I was happy with it, until I bought my ZRX1200 AND test rode a 2015 Versys 1000 for 730 km.
The Versys 1000 handles almost as well in the tight stuff as the 650, yes it is heavier and bulkier but it hides it well and turns very very well. The 1000 has a LOT more oomph than the 650 and is more spacious, if you are doing a lot of touring and / or ride with a pillion often I suggest the 1000 may suit you better. If you ride solo and handling and ease of wheeling around the garage is important than probably the 650.
The only reason I sold my 650 was because I needed the money and in a lot of ways the ZRX suits me better. ( I love the 4 cylinder smoothness and the sheer grunt from the 1200 is very intoxicating).
I was very happy with the Versys 650 and loved the extended test ride on the 1000. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by MaverickAus; 01-25-2016 at 01:01 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Welcome
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachA View Post
...I'm also debating the 650 vs. 1K. Leaning toward the 1K because I do a lot of long distance riding, or have in the past. With my current recuperation for our accident, I don't know if that will be cut out or just put on hold for awhile.

FWIW- I have done quite a few LONG rides on my 650 Vs (over a total of three Vs...), as long as 13K kms, carrying camping gear. Works just fine for me...! (I'm 5'10", 31" inseam, 180# PLUS riding gear, and here's a 'loaded-up' pic.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-26-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode