Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

new versys in september as a commuter

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxmnormand 
#1 ·
tell me what i need to do to the bike to get it ready for an 80 mile round trip commute through the sf bay area. a nasty commute full of rude drivers and lane splitting. i ride in the rain too. mostly freeway.

#4 · (Edited)
I make a 60 mile round trip commute on the Versys, have done so since last spring and I ride in the rain and cold, pretty much so long as the morning temps ar 30 and above I ride. (below 30 I worry about black ice).

For me the key items were a cover and luggage able to hold my brief case, cover and shoes on the way to the train station (I commute by train into NYC) and hold my jacket, pants and boots while I am at work. I also didn't want to spend a ton of cash. I ended up getting Givi E21 side cases which work great to hold my jacket and boots and a Givi E45N cheap top case which holds my helmet and riding pants.

Works perfect for me and the cover keeps eyes off the bike. I haven't ever once used a disc lock or locked the cover, but if you are worried a disc lock and cable for the cover are a good idea. (you route the cable through the eyelets of the cover and connect the cable eyelet to the disc lock on the disc.

I have three sets of gear, mesh jacket and pants for the hot weather, fully waterproof jacket and pants for the cold and wet and rain gear to go over my mesh. Usually in the summer I just keep the rain gear in one of the bags as a just in case. I also have a variety of gloves, Gerbing heated, Held street gloves (my favorite) and Rev'It winter/waterproof, it is worth having the right gear for the right condition. Same with my boots, I have Vendramini shorty for the summer, Sidi full sized for the cooler weather and Sidi waterproof boots for the colder weather.

I have accumulated my gear choices over many years, and while I upgrade my gear every few years, the basic options are the same.

I also invested a long time ago in heated grips, heated gloves and a heated jacket liner, for commuting they have proved invaluable especially in late October/November around here. Oh and I keep a hair brush in my top case to fix my helmet head when I get to the train station, don't laugh, it makes a difference and worth the thought.

Finally since I often leave at 5 AM when it is dark and live in the country of sorts, I swapped the low beam for an HID. A lot more light, but does not bother on coming drivers or drivers I am behind, also leaves me the high beam as an instant on (HID takes a bit to warm up and get fully bright) for flashing, etc.

Just remember, the thing about commuting is having a system/routine and giving it time to get it down right. At first commuting seems like a bitch, putting the gear on, taking it off and stowing it, putting it on again when all you want to do is go home. But I have it down to 5 min each time, in the AM, at the train station and then heading home, so while it adds time, the ability to ride my bike everyday and getting 55 MPH over my 18 MPG truck is all good.

#6 ·
My Pelican cases ended up being no wider than my handlebars so lane splitting is still an option. Other than luggage (if needed) this bike was darn near built for California commuting. The high seating allows you to see most everything going on around you. I would rather commute on my V than any of my other bikes.

#7 ·
For all-weather riding, you'll want a hugger to keep all of the road crap off the underneath, and also a front fender extender to protect the radiator.

I use a headlight modulator on high beam. Some like them, some don't. But all that's necessary to shut it down is to go to low beam. The pass function still works, but it's modulated.

I also have Hyper-Lites installed underneath the tail light. It's 16 extremely bright red LEDs that are always on, and when the brakes are applied, they pulse for 5 seconds. I find that many tailgaters back off after I touch the brakes lightly three or four times.

If you split lanes, you might consider Barkbusters. A little pricey, but they'll save knuckles and levers if you nail a side mirror or worse.

#9 ·
I commute 70 miles a day year round, marc11 did a nice summary, you do end up with a collection of gear to suit different weather. The one thing I would add is to get a tinted or mirrored shield for the afternoon, I leave in the dark in the morning with a clear, and swap for a mirror tinted in the afternoon for the blazing Texas sun.

You also get in the habit of checking the radar quickly before you leave, so you know whether to put the rain liner on or not. :D I have a little Accuweather icon on my phone now that I hit up real quick. You learn quickly that it can be beautiful and clear when you start and hit the nasty weather 15 miles down the road.

#13 ·
I have read the entire thread, and just had one question on the luggage section. I am also going to be commuting on a new versys in september, I have an 80 mile commute highway, not too much traffic due to offpeak times. I was wondering hard luggage (givi cases) or soft luggage (Kriega us 40 tailbag) I am mainly loogkin for something with place to put raingear, and my breifcase?

The other question is if the hard makes more sense do the v-35 cases hold a full face lid?

Thanks for the advice, I took a lot of notes.

#16 ·
I am mainly loogkin for something with place to put raingear, and my breifcase?

The other question is if the hard makes more sense do the v-35 cases hold a full face lid?

Thanks for the advice, I took a lot of notes.
Sounds like you just need a topcase. Saddlebags would be over kill. Get the SWMotech topcase rack and the topcase of your choice and your set.

#15 ·
I have the Dowco soft bags. They are plenty big for extra gear, expandable too. I haven't tried fitting my helmet inside. When I commute to work, I bring my jacket & helmet inside with me. They do have a means to lock the bags closed, plus a means to lock them to the bike as well. I choose to go this route because they were way less expensive compared to the hard cases. The hard cases have many advantages, so consider what you really need, plus how much you can afford too.

#17 ·
I added a Givi rack for a top case, but actually used a case from JCWhitney.com

http://www.jcwhitney.com/MATTE-BLACK-TRAVEL-TRUNKS/GP_2010969_N_111+10211+600014603_10111.jcw

That case provides room for my full-face helmet and my riding pants (or my jacket, but not both with the helmet). Usually, I put my helmet and pants in the case and carry/wear my jacket. If necessary, I will use the helmet locks provided on the bike and then put both my pants and jacket in the top case. It makes the Versys a pretty practical commuter.

I chose the Givi racks since I was uncertain about the JCWhitney case (and if it did not work out, I would have purchased a Givi case). In hindsight, I would choose the cheapest rack and the JCWhitney case and then go about my business.

#18 ·
All the above is good advice. As far as routing is concerned, try to tweak your ride (with the aid of a good metro map) as to which way is the safest as opposed to which is the quickest. Find the less travelled roads, safest ways through dangerous intersections, nicer surroundings, resist your urge to run for the green light on crowded streets. etc. And keep your cool. You'll need it.

#19 ·
that is good advice. i have commuted over 40,400 miles in the last 3 years myself. my bike live inside at home and inside a parking garage right outside the guard shack at work. (free) i will bee adding the bags with the purchase i think and hand guards as well. the temp rarely dips as cold as you get here in the bay area. my commute is all freeway so maybe not the hid although i do love lights. i am pretty geared up clothing wise butg will be getting new winter gear as time and $$$ permits. i am looking forward to my 20k per year on the new bike.

#21 ·
All great advice. My commute is only about 20 miles each way. I use a Givi E52 top case and it will hold my backpack during the ride and my helmet and tankbag at work. I usually take my jacket and pants off in my office (just easier). Everything else is helpful too (headlight modulator, louder horn, brighter headlight, flashing brake light, extra lights on the back and handguards).

Just remember that they are all out to get you. I am lucky that the shortest route is the one with the fewest cars (smaller roads). You can't have enough lights, but they will not protect you as I found out last week when a drunk ran into me at a red light.

The toughest part of year round riding for me has been find the right gear that actually works in cold weather. I have heated gloves, but they really don't work as well as I would like and kind of a hassle to put on. In cold weather I have trouble with my shield fogging, but I recently found a pinlock shield for my Shoei RF1000. Hopefully that will work with the anti-fog insert. A neck gator or sleeve keeps my neck warm.

The V really is a great commuter! Enjoy your ride!!!

#22 ·
My rule is that I do not ride if it is below 20F when I leave the house, or if it is below 32F and there has been much moisture lately. I prefer to ride through Los Alamos canyon as I go to work and I can feel the temperature decrease as I descend into the canyon and then the temperature increase as I ascend out of the canyon.

I now wear my "on-base" safety vest along with my full-face helmet and textile pants/jacket all the time.

I am not as concerned about other vehicles (as long as I go the canyon route) as much as elk or deer. (Though there is the occasional logging truck.) I am getting right around 50 MPG and am having a great time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.