Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Glove suggestions for cold weather

9K views 57 replies 26 participants last post by  chadams66 
#1 ·
So here's the deal. I have heated grips and Barkbuster handguards, down to about 45 degrees this is good with my old Olympia un-lined leather gloves. I bought a pair of cold weather gloves (also Olympia, can't find the exact gloves to show), but they are SO thick on the palm side they are uncomfortable to ride with. It feels like I am riding around with a couple pillows wrapped around my grips. Plus the insulation on the palm side is totally unnecessary with the heated grips.

What I am wondering is there any gloves that have good insulation on the back side with good feel on the grip side? In leather, without being too expensive?

#6 ·
#7 ·
As far as gloves i've been looking at these... .. Ive seen a couple of guys with them and their not bulky.

#28 ·
As far as gloves i've been looking at these...http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Scara...UTF8&colid=1X7LLRKD0X919&coliid=IYDBQI8LEUFVN .. Ive seen a couple of guys with them and their not bulky.
I ended up getting a pair of these locally. I paid an extra $8.51 for for them but it was worth it to me because I was able to try them on and see how they worked with my grips and controls before I plunked my money down. Unfortunately, it was around 48 degrees last night when I was riding and it's currently 52, so my ride to work won't tell me much either.

I was impressed with how much better feel I get with these over my old winter glove.

#9 ·
I'm just about an hour from the mountains...Planning on going to Big Bear before it snows..

#10 ·
Several years ago, I broke down and bought a pair of Synergy Electric Heated Gloves from a local Cycle Gear store. Wow, what a positive difference! These gloves allow for "low, medium & high" settings. I should never have waited (and suffered) so long to buy them. I just checked and Cycle Gear is showing them as a "close-out" item so they may not be available much longer. They aren't so thick as to make your grip uncomfortable. I DID NOT check the above suggested links to view the suggestions from others so I don't know the prices associated with their reccomendations but if warmth in cold weather is your goal, you may want to consider electric gloves.

#12 ·
With the thick gloves, my hands stay absolutely warm and toasty down to the mid 30's. Even with the summer gloves and heated grips, at 45 degrees, it really only my 2 index fingers that get cold (I habitually ride with those on the brake and clutch levers). I have looked at a couple heated options, but the only ones they stock at the local stores were thin textile, they didn't seem like they'd have good protection while I'm riding around on cold wet surfaces. I forgot about mitts, that may be a very viable option, I'll look into those a bit more and check out some of the glove options posted here. Thanks for all the input, I'll have some good options to explore.

#13 ·
A week or 2 ago somebody posted a link to a pair of ice climbing gloves. I bought a pair as they were very heavily discounted.
Ibhave ridden in them down to 38 afcording to a bank sign for a 45 min ride.
Usually i struggle with gloves. I have tons of sii gloves that will keep me very warm(i run a ski shop) but they are all pretty bulky and I cant really feel the grips or controls. My thin gloves that I could use my hands in made my hands freeze even with heated grips. My palms would be hot, and backs and fingers freezing.
The ice coimbing gloves I bought may not protect me as good as Id like, but I can happily ride. The palms are pretty thin compared to ski gloves, but they have a thick back of the hand. I kept my grips on 25%and felt great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#25 ·
A week or 2 ago somebody posted a link to a pair of ice climbing gloves. I bought a pair as they were very heavily discounted.
Ibhave ridden in them down to 38 afcording to a bank sign for a 45 min ride.
Usually i struggle with gloves. I have tons of sii gloves that will keep me very warm(i run a ski shop) but they are all pretty bulky and I cant really feel the grips or controls. My thin gloves that I could use my hands in made my hands freeze even with heated grips. My palms would be hot, and backs and fingers freezing.
The ice coimbing gloves I bought may not protect me as good as Id like, but I can happily ride. The palms are pretty thin compared to ski gloves, but they have a thick back of the hand. I kept my grips on 25%and felt great.

***I think these are the ones Hawk is talking about. I got a pair. They're not too bulky and they're windproof & waterproof. I think they would stay on okay in a crash (they have a cinch cord), but I'm not sure how abbrasive resistent they are. They have tacky stuff on the palms for grip and hard plastic protection on the knuckes (to fend off those Harley riders! :D ). Hard to beat the quality for $25!

http://www.theclymb.com/all/brand-event/39086/show-product/587154?f=mi

You do have to register for the site, but it's free.

#14 ·
You might like to consider these as well. http://www.whitehorsegear.com/joe-rocket-sub-zero-cold-weather-motorcycling-gloves

Here's what Whitehorse Gear has to say about them: The Sub-Zero gloves from Joe Rocket are made with a durable wind and waterproof shell. A waterproof Dry Tech® mid-liner and 100g of Thinsulate® insulation guarantee you’ll be warm and dry in the most extreme riding conditions, without sacrificing feel or mobility. Slip-resistant palm, padded knuckles, and finger gussets round out the features, all at an incredible price! Available in Men’s sizes SM–3X and Women's sizes XS–XL. And just $39.99 a pair.

And for what it's worth I've been extremely pleased with Whitehorse Gear - very helpful, quick shipping and first rate customer service.

#17 ·
I've been wearing snowmobile gloves when the temps drop down below 40ish. I ride unless the temps drop into the 20s or it's cold and rainy. The snowmobile gloves do an excellent job of keeping my hands warm and dry but they are very thick and bulky. I just installed a set of Oxford grip heaters so I'm hoping I won't need the thick gloves anymore.

#18 ·
For cooler weather I have a pair or Rev'It water proof gloves. They are nice and thin but the water proofing provides quite a bit of extra warmth by blocking the wind and sealing in the warm air. They are good down to about 10C/50F for prolonged exposure at higher speeds or colder temps for city riding.

Below 50F/10C though nothing beats my Gerbing T5 heated gloves. They are a little short on protection with no hard armor and require you plug in when getting on the bike but for cold weather comfort they are hard to beat. They heat the backs of the hand and fingers, the parts that get cold and will keep your hands warm in the coldest riding weather.

#27 · (Edited)
Just a few minutes ago I walked over the road to chat with a neighbor who was suiting up to head to work on his HD. Although we're in Florida... North Florida, it does get down into the 20's sometimes... Today it was in low 40's and he was turning on his Cabella's Gloves... rechargeable battery operated. I tried them on and felt them heating up... They're not something you'd want to rely on in bitterly cold weather... but for moderately cold riding they seem to be something worth checking into. It looks like they're actually Gerbing's sourced - but Cabella's has the lowest price I could find this morning in a quick Google.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Heated-Performance-Gloves/1399107.uts?

#31 ·
So whats the verdict?

I live in the North East and just got myself a pair of A* Apex Drystars. Not impressed. My hands were cold as steel balls after a 30 min ride. And thats after barkbusters. Agreed it was 30 and had a few flurries as well.

I need something more hardcore than that. I have heard about the T/M Winter Elite IIs. Anyone with experience?

I live in the North East.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#36 ·
My verdict? For much colder whether or longer rides than what I'm riding, I'd go for mitts, with heated grips. The heated gloves I've seen give up too much feel and/or protection. Raising core temperature would probably work. All I wear in the coldest temps I ride is T-shirt, fleece jacket and a Tourmaster Transitions II jacket with the liner removed to make room for the fleece. A Cold Out neck gaiter. Tourmaster lined pants (can't remember the name) over light long johns, and wool socks under Alpinestar Web Gortex boots. I stay warm enough without sweating when I stop.

Part of why I don't want to be too warm and toasty is that I tend to forget how cold and slick it is out their when I do. I do the same in my car. I've noticed (specially lately when the temps have been 25-30 degrees on my way to work) the cars that look like they were parked in a garage and/or are fully warmed up are the ones bombing down the road like it's NOT frozen, while the ones that look colder (still have frost on their windows) are the ones driving with due caution.

#32 ·
Are your bars aluminium or steel? With aluminum you need a layer between the Drystars and your grips or they will never heat up properly. Also, if your grips have raised ridges like many do, they are working just like cooling fins on an engine block. Try a set of Original Grip Buddies...keeps the heat from the Drystars from blowing away in the wind, adds comfort. Highly recommended especially if you have grip heaters.

#33 ·
The way to keep your hands warm is with a heated vest. No, really!When your body starts getting cold the brain shuts down the blood flow to the extremites, hands and feet. If you maintain your core temperature the body will take care of your hands and feet. The logistics of a heated vest a simpler than for heated grips. I use a Widder heated vest and never have cold hands or feet.

#35 ·
I have poor circulation in my hands and feet (Reynaud's syndrom). When I ride for longer than 35 minutes in the cold, I normally turn on my heated grips, and use my heated jacket liner (not a vest). If its real cold, I will wear my heated gloves (that plug in to my jacket liner. If it's colder still, I put on my heated pant liner and heated socks. Sometimes I also bolt on my homemade wind deflectors, that block the wind that comes through the slots that are are molded into the tank fairing (under the windshield & over the tank. Its a funny feeling - riding bathed in heat, with just my nose getting a bit of fresh cool air!

#41 · (Edited)
#45 ·
#43 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.