Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Versys Wheelie

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  speedversys 
#1 · (Edited)
So today I started practicing wheelies with the versys , I started off not doing so well only getting the bike off about 3 inches. But after about an hour of trying different combination's I believe I got it, but I would like to confirm. Weather in 1st or second gear going around 3-6 MPH by just cruising and smoothly but at the same time being hard on the throttle the wheel will come up around 15 inches off the ground. Now I have not stabilized it when getting it up, just up and than back down. Dose this sound about right or should I be trying it a different way? Thank You for your info ahead of time!

#3 ·
You're off to a good start. Be careful, don't get too cocky too fast. Once you get the feel for that, try using the clutch, about the same speed, pop the clutch a little at the same time you open your throttle. That'll get your wheel quite a bit higher. Do it in second, though. First gear & you might flip it...

Remember, take it easy, not too much all at once. Wheelies are fun, but can lead to bad things...

#7 ·
what happen at least how i see it is when the front wheel came down it jerked my hand on the throttle and because of my lack of experience i was doing this in a area that had no room for error.. so the nose came down accidently grabed a handfull of throttle and 3500$ in tree damage and a real sore leg for 2 weeks. but my pride was hurt the most due to the 6 people watching lol

#10 ·
Unfortunately my oldest son is a wheelie pro. He is one of the guys you see riding wheelies off into the sunset. His method for a bike with not enough power to get vertical in 2nd is to get the rpm up around 6000 in 2nd gear then stand up on the pegs, he lets off the throttle just a touch then bounces on the foot pegs and opens the throttle. Just about any bike will come up vertical doing this then its up to you to learn how to manage power to keep it at the balance point. Good luck, I have seen many of broken bikes and bones caused by people paying tribute to the wheelie gods.

#12 ·
first gear roll on wheelies are no problem on the versys, but 1st gear is short... too short so i usually cruise at about 30-40mph in second gear and rev to about 5000-6000rpm and dump the clutch, sitting down the versys will ride second gear to about 69mph just about straight up and down, no clutch shift into third and you can ride a 75mph wheelie as long as you can balance it for..... be careful wheelies are so damn fun and addicting but cops do not like them, they scare other motorist also and well sometimes unforeseen things happen while in a wheelie that you cant react for like deer, potholes, groundhogs, people pulling out of driveways.... but I got to get some video of my wheelies because even the one on youtube are just weak and embarrassing.... the versys is a wheelie machine....

#14 ·
I don't know how to wheelie...

Just got my versys today, it seems like it has a lot of torque and wheelie should be easy...

I will try it one of these days.... :)

#16 ·
No whellie king her but do it in second gear start by taking it up to about 3-4k at 1st, shut the throttle and open hard. It may or may not come up depending how much fuel there is , how quick you snap the throttle. Just keep increasing the start point by 550rpm. When it comes up it will be controllable not manic. Then the skill comes in trying to keep it on the balance point. I can manage 5 or 6 blips on the throttle about 200 yards max.

#17 ·
I recomend learning to do this on a dirt bike, on soft ground, first. That being said, use the rear brake to adjust the nose downward when you are ballancing with the front wheel too high in the air. This will be the way you keep it from flipping over backwards on you.

#18 ·
I gotta say, I am just not comfortable wheeling the V. I think it comes from accidentally letting the clutch out too quick when I first got it, and pulling an accidental wheelie. That was very uncomfortable. Now, I just don't open it up till ~ 5000 RPM in first subconsciously. I came to this conclusion the other day as I was out trying to touch the pegs down and practicing wheelies. My brain just doesn't want to do it! It takes a very concerted effort to crack the throttle enough at low speed to get the wheel up. I am more comfortable feathering the clutch in 2nd and having it come up some... but even then, I don't like the feeling.

What I do love is having the front end get all light under hard acceleration, without coming up too much. Having the ability to wheely is excellent, but being able to keep it down with such power is ideal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.