Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Hello - looking to buy a Versys

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  blacksheep 
#1 ·
Hi all - I stumbled upon this site searching for more information on the Versys. I am not new to motorcycles by any means and have owned and ridden many. My last motorcycle was a 2010 Triumph Thruxton.

From my research, I am going to get a 2010 or newer Versys. I looked at the vstrom and honda and both seem really porky. The Verys seems the sleekest of the bikes, so as far as looks go, I am set on the Versys.

I still need to ride one and I seem to keep reading about excessive vibration. The 2010 or newer was my choice due to the rubber mounted mounts or whatever as I am hoping that will reduce the vibrations.

Now, I have owned 2 buells, 2 suzuki sv1000's, 2 SV650's and the superhawk - yeah, all v-twin sportbikes is the theme. I am used to a level of vibration and wonder if the vibration is that big of a deal...

My buddy had a z1000 and wow, that thing had some vibration in hands and feet that was excessive and tingly and I am hoping its not the same.

I found an all black 2010 with 740 miles and asking price is 7K, is that fair? It is almost 4 years old and even with the low miles, I feel its overpriced. Any thoughts???

I also like the 2013 pearl whites, so I am almost wanting to spring for a new one.

Anyways, if you have any suggestions for me as I go shopping, that would be great.

Thanks for having me here and safe riding everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I haven't had my versys mpre then a week but here is my insight....
I looked at the two bikes you said you were looking at and I agree it is more sleek, as you put it. Coming from a supersport I was very surprised with the feel and handling of the versys.

Addressing the vibration I would say that the vibration will not be a problem. In very low rpm's there is a definite vibration but it really isn't bad. Once you ger above 3k rpm it has no vibration, so I would not worry about it.

That price seems somewhat reasonable based on the fact the mileage is so low. Mine had 1881 and I paid 6300 out the door. If it is 7k total out the door that would seem like a good price. If it's 7000 before taxes and plates and transfer then I would definitely try negotiating that deal.

Good luck with finding a bike, the versys is awesome in my opinion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
blacksheep, my last bike was a buell blast, I now have an 08 versys. The vibrations are light, Nothing that would every dissuade me from another versys. The 10 and up is suppose to have better vibe damping. Go for test ride. Also you should be able to get it around 4/5k mark.

#7 · (Edited)
IMO Vibration of the Versys is not an issue and never have given it a single moment of thought.
The configuration of mirrors do cause a slight "whip" but for me there again not worth any concern.

I too ride and still own an SV1000S. The torque and power of it's motor, comfort and narrower bars make it my first choice ride.
If I were considering a new bike I'd wait to check out the Yamaha FZ09

"Moderation is the last refuge for the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde

#8 ·
I got a new 2012 this year for $7300 before taxes and stuff so $7000 for a 2010 seems high to me. I've got just under 600 miles on it so far. Would be more but it's been raining a lot. Anyhow, the vibes went way down after the first oil change. I do not feel them now but see them in the mirrors. I expect it to get better as I gain more miles.

#11 ·
Well, I hope to assimilate here now!

:yeahsmile:

So, here is the story of how I landed up with this new 2012 Yellow Versys:

I have been shopping for a while and most dealers want somewhere in the 7400-7900 range for 2012 holdovers.

On cycletrader, I found a dealer in Shakopee, MN advertising an all black new 2012 for $6449. I would be an 8 hour round trip for me. This was the cheapest new V I could find.

We decided to go to my local dealer and test ride one to see if I even would like it..

Their inventory showed 2 used V's:

- A 2008 green V with 6K on it for $6000
- A 2010 black V with 740 miles mentioned by me in a post above for $7000.

When we get there, I also spy a yellow 2012 and am told its brand new with 1 mile and a holdover. Wife says she likes the yellow the best and here opinions matters to me a lot!

The 2011 black one has some weird cruise control thingey on it and also looks like it was dropped and fixed. The left side rear grab handle is severely injured and the footpegs etc show marks. :mad:

Wife and I test rode the black one and I could get a sense of the bike and we both seemed to like it a lot. The cruise control did not work well for me at all and could not hold a speed. :confused:

We come back and I told them I did not like the 2011 black. I said I would do a deal on the yellow one. My best price - If they could give me the same deal as the Shakopee V, I would take it. I showed them the pricing online. They tried to get me to pay the freight fee of $400 which I told them the other dealer did not have, but their $400 would pay for my trip to MN and back. I agreed to pay $200 freight fee as that would be what the MN trip would cost me (gas, food, motel stay, entertain 4 year old daughter) etc. I said if they could not do it - oh well, maybe next time.

This dealer and I have a history - 2 of my prior SV's, they could not match and were all pissy when deals fell thru. I reminded them of this and how I have boycotted them since 2006 and that I am giving them a chance again. The sales manager clearly remembered me from the moment I walked in...:eek:

They came back 20 mins later after talking to owner of dealership and they made the deal. I had to pay tax, registration, doc fee etc (which I would have to do with the shakopee bike as well).

All in all, happy with the deal. We put 60 miles today and I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.