Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Ear plugs

10K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  Avande 
#1 ·
I just recently started using earplugs after meeting a guy in his fifties who's riden a lot all his life, he has hearing aids due to all the riding with wind noise. He told me that he wishes he had been using earplugs. I figured, hey i better take his advice and use them.

I didn't realize how much wind noise I was actually experiencing until I started using them...what a difference. I'm now going to use earplugs on any longer rides.

I've just been using the disposable ones...does anyone have any suggestions for good quality earplugs that can be cleaned and used over and over again?

#2 ·
I use the yellow EAR fit plugs, have done for years. I also tried a custom pair I bought at the big national bike show in England a few years back. They weren't quite right as the left one seemed to bleed noise once my helmet was on, defeating the purpose. Unfortunately it wasn't practical to get them sorted out and I ended up binning them. But I guess I was just unlucky as many have had great results from custom plugs.

#7 ·
I just learned this ear plug tip - use a little vasilene on the foam ear plugs. Its much easier to get them to seal in the ear canal that way. It seals out more sound. For convienience, I use the vary small tube of vasilene (for lips), because it fits in my tank bag or pocket easily.

#8 · (Edited)
I used the foam ones for a while (different brands) and they work well as long as you put them in properly. Vasilene or even moistening the tip will help get them all the way in. It also helps to pull up/back slightly on the top of the ear.

I tried the self molded Radians and they were alright but the fit was only so-so. Probably not the fault of the product as much as the "self molding". I followed the directions and it went well but they just didn't seem to hold in the ear as well as I thought they should.

This year at the IMS in Mpls, MN I had a E.A.R. custom molded set made and I really like them. Not cheap (although cheaper than the local audiologist would do it) but in my opinion, well worth it. They block out sound well, fit well and there seems to be no pressure on the ear.

There have been a number of different threads on this site about ear plugs and it seems that everyone likes something a little different. I know there are several places that have trial packs of a dozen or so different type of the foam ones that may be worth a try.

Mitch

#10 ·
I had a set of custom ear-molds done which I no longer use. They do NOT seal like the 'foamies' which I buy (Stanley PersonalProtection Pre-Shaped Foam Earplugs) at Home Depot I believe, here in Kelowna. They are yellow/ pink, have a 32 decibel rating, come 80 pair to a container for somewhere around $20. I re-use them till they are dirty, then 'chuck' them, but - say a few weeks per pair. I 'roll' them between my fingers, then gently wet them in my mouth just before inserting, and they seal and work REALLY well.

:thumb: - :thumb: - :thumb:

#12 ·
Foam plugs here... From Home Depot. 100 pair box has lasted me a great while and I always keep a few spares on the bike... So I never worry about misplacing them or washing them. They work well for me.

#17 ·
I use moulded plugs. If they are done properly the silicon is injected into your ear with a syringe. I mini "tampon" is inserted first, then the silicon injected. I have four sets which i use for clay bird shooting and motorcycling. I suck mine (tasty) before i insert, making sure i pull the ear back while inserting. No problems at all. Excellent.:thumb:

#18 ·
Another +1 for Towerman's post (above). I use the Leight's and switch them out every few weeks for a new pair. The video is exactly how to put them in...especially since I have "surfers ear" due to lots of cold ocean water exposure over the years. I keep a few extra in my riding pants thigh pocket. Once you get used to wearing them, then when you forget and hear the howling wind noise, it's like...oh crap, gotta pull over and put'm in!

#26 ·
Two thumbs up for the disposable ones. The key is putting them IN to the ear canal, not like my wife who regularly says about an hour in to the ride, "That thingy fell out." D-oh!
When I see some riders cruising down the highway, no helmet (and what looks like no ear protection) I first say: "To each his own." Then I say: "That CAN'T feel good!"

#34 ·
The home depot bulk foam earplugs work for me as they're inexpensive and disposable (really like the disposable part).

May use the same pair 3 times in a day tops.

They definitely cut down on fatigue.

The whole being able to hear after years of riding's kinda cool too. :)

#47 ·
Everyone should read Versys11's first couple of sentences again. After 20+ years around USAF fighters, bombers, transports and tankers and 50+ years on and around motorcycles I can assure you that hearing protection is essential for your enjoyment of life once you get into your 60's and beyond.

If you've never tried ear plugs - pick up a cheap set of foams and give them a 20 or 30 minute trial doing what you normally do on your bike... You'll see.

(All rides will become the norm once you get used to ear plugs... Because your no-plugs time will quickly become uncomfortable.)

#37 ·
I would assume that if the product was advertised for underwater use, that's what it would be designed for. If it was suitable for shooting the product details would state that. Mind you at that cost they could be worth a try. Still there is nothing like "filling up" the entire ear canal, be it foam or silicon.

#39 ·
I use "Ear inc" custom ones, they are quieter than the 29dB i had been using and being tall 6' 4", they cut down the buffeting of the wind by untold numbers, WELL WORTH the $50, and hey, they're Bronco colored too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.