2Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
riding dirt in crappy wx in AZ!

I went for a 125 (or so...) mile ride on the 22nd December, basically checking conditions for my 'annual Christmas Eve ride in the desert', because it's planned to be two-up.

The weather was cloudy and cool, w/ clouds hovering over the Superstition Mountains where I planned to ride to, so I put my heated jacket-liner under my jacket then headed for the Florence-Kelvin Highway, the liner at setting 4. The W portion of the F-K was paved for about nine miles, but I discovered they've been laying down asphalt, NOW out to 13 miles, then FINALLY - dirt!

Pretty sure that that's snow falling on the hills in the center. The F-K was pretty good, but I started to get some light showers before I got to AZ 177, so put the camera away in a saddle-bag. Turned S at Winkleman onto AZ 77, the W again at Dudleyville, heading for the Freeman Rd, and about 50 more miles of dirt.

You cross the San Pedro River there, and it was definitely very low compared to other years I've crossed it, so I got "sloppy", not bothering to stand on the pegs as I 'picked-my-line', crossing where it LOOKED like a solid berm had been pushed up on the right....

Almost took a "header" as my front wheel 'washed-out' pulling BIG RED to the left...., but I lucked out, staying up-right.

A mile or so further, the Freeman Rd turns off to the left (W) at this sign-post

a lot of it looking like this, clouds down onto the hills here too!

Stopped for a snack here, where I've stopped before.

From that point you ride N on the Barkerville Rd till intercepting the Florence-Kelvin again....

A bit "slippy", but not TOO bad today.

After about 20 to 25 miles it "tees" into the F-K but NOW where it's paved. Took this pic at the junction.

That "dry-wash" comes right to the N side of the paved part, and I can only imagine how bad it must be when it's awash...!

Clear-sailing from there, even if STILL quite chilly.

After I crossed the San Pedro River I figure it got tough enough that I would NOT come here if it rained at all before my Christmas Eve ride (or w/ any "newbies" to dirt...).

Got home w/ 126 miles on the odo, happy to get into some warmth, and a glass of 'something smooth' to sip....

weljo2001 likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-27-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What tire are you running on the rear?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiereaper5 View Post
What tire are you running on the rear?
It's a KENDA BIG BLOCK in 150/70x17 running 42 psi (requires constant pressure-monitoring, as it slowly decreases), presently w/ OVER 9,600 miles on it, MOSTLY paved...! NOT sure how much further I'll use it, but there's at least 1/4" rubber left in the tire-center blocks.

Works PDG for all the riding I've put it thru...!

-
Zombiereaper5 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 07:38 AM

Garage
Nice country. Currently spending my Winter living vicariously through your ride posts. Keep 'em coming!

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
It's a KENDA BIG BLOCK in 150/70x17 running 42 psi (requires constant pressure-monitoring, as it slowly decreases), presently w/ OVER 9,600 miles on it, MOSTLY paved...! NOT sure how much further I'll use it, but there's at least 1/4" rubber left in the tire-center blocks.

Works PDG for all the riding I've put it thru...!

-
Just curious if you ride off road alone. Would have never given it a second thought as a kid, but now the idea of falling down and can't getting up has started hitting home with me.

One of the last times I was alone off the grid, I ran into a dead end at a trailer home complete with a Rebel flag and several large, hungry looking dogs showing me their most excellent dental health.

Adventures like that make me okay with taking the long way around...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Nice country. Currently spending my Winter living vicariously through your ride posts. Keep 'em coming!
My pleasure ATYC! (a gentle bow from the waist....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Just curious if you ride off road alone. Would have never given it a second thought as a kid, but now the idea of falling down and can't getting up has started hitting home with me.

One of the last times I was alone off the grid, I ran into a dead end at a trailer home complete with a Rebel flag and several large, hungry looking dogs showing me their most excellent dental health.

Adventures like that make me okay with taking the long way around...
I do ride alone, mostly, but in GENERAL it's to places I've been before, so, unless something weird has occurred, I don't expect to see a bunch of 'unfriendly' meat-eaters where I go....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:48 PM

Those roads need a WR250
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 04:04 PM

Great looking riding area you've got.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:47 AM

one of these days i'll make it out to AZ for some riding, but probably not for 2 more years.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
one of these days i'll make it out to AZ for some riding, but probably not for 2 more years.
I'll keep an eye out for you....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode