3Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Fixin' a tooth... which took 400 MILES!

Sunday night, at supper, a crown on my front-right tooth fell out - CRAP!

The dentist I've used here in AZ already tried to get me to agree to replacing it for about $2500, or getting an implant for close to $6000, and I said "No way!". I MIGHT have added a 'modifier' to ...way...

I've had several crowns done in Algodones, Mexico (220 miles away), over the last ten years, so Monday I phoned down for an appointment Tuesday, and another Wednesday, to have the root 'prepped', a cast made, then the new crown installed (quoted at $230), over those two days. Latest I could get in that would allow all that to be done over two days was at 1100 hrs Tuesday, so I agreed I'd be there, then got my bike ready.

Alarm went off at 0450 Tuesday. After a quick shave'n'shower, ONE coffee, some oatmeal, and I was out the garage door on BIG RED at 0550, headed S and W, my Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner ON, at setting 3, but SOON increased to level 5 as it was dam*ed CHILLY!!!

A quick stop for gas in Casa Grande, then back onto I-10 to the exit to I-8, then W, freezing my butt off! I was wishing I'd taken a few minutes to change to my larger windshield, AND warmer gloves than the winter pair I had on, but no use griping about it!

Sun-up started about 0710, but my heated jacket was ON all the way to Yuma, then Algodones, a total of 220 miles from the house, and I FINALLY removed all that at 1000 in the parking lot beside the border, then made my way to the dentist, a TAD early for the appointment.

Much to my surprise they accepted me early, so I settled into the dentist-chair as the assistant put the little 'napkin-thing' around my neck, then the dentist had a look at the damage.

She asked if I had the 'old' crown. I nodded affirmative, as I pulled it out of my pocket. She examined it, held it up, asked IF I would like it replaced?

"Can you DO that?" I asked.

"Yes, and it'll be 'good as new' when I'm done," she replied, "at a cost of $50".

I told her to go ahead, and 30 minutes later I walked out the door, my "smile" restored, the EXTRA $180 still in my wallet...! I did a few minutes of shopping (a bottle of Kahlua),

and headed to the US Immigration and Customs, then back to BIG RED, the time now 1130, so I knew I could turn around and ride back home before sunset!

I removed the liner from my jacket, then stowed IT and the Tourmaster liner in a saddlebag, started the engine, heading E toward the CA/AZ border at the Colorado River at the western edge of Yuma.

I filled up my tank in down-town Yuma, just off the Interstate, where these painted tanks are....

saddlebag and msteel like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-18-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Glorying in the WARMTH, I stopped to take some pics on the way back) as I figured my fingers were TOO cold to press the shutter-release on the ride TO Yuma...!

A few miles E is the first mountain range

soon followed by another in the Dome Valley.

The NEXT range seems to have the desert floor 'rising' to meet the mountains, as these pics show.

then I-8 goes OVER here....

Along the MOSTLY feature-less (and BORING...!) terrain, near the half-way point, at the junction to the "Painted Rocks" exit, is a LARGE array of solar-electric power generators as you can see in these pics. LOTS of 'em...!

A few miles further is the town of Gila Bend, home of the "flying-saucer" restaurant, so I exited to take a few pics.

I didn't go inside on this ride, but inside there's pics of astronauts, as well as other 'extra-terrestrial' stuff. NEAT place for a burger!

I got back onto I-8, soon passing Gunsight Mountain

OBVIOUSLY named well! Rather than stay ALL the way on I-8, I exited onto AZ 84 to ride thru Casa Grande from the W. John Wayne used to live in this area, owning cattle feed-lots for 500,000 cows I've been told, this one named after one of his movies.

From there it was a quick 30 minutes to my home, and I arrived at 1600, just 10 hours and 10 minutes since I'd left, shivering in the dark, that morning....

GLAD it was over...!
msteel likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-26-2015 at 01:47 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You are lucky... Crowns can come off... and it is a simple job to glue them back down if the seat and crown did not get damaged from biting on something hard.
The adhesive can unstick as in your case just fall out. Chewing on candy can suck them off. Even heaving flossing can lift them.

Your Mexican dentist did the right thing check it and stick it back on!

or saved some more $$... You could have just used JB Weld!

Great Excuse for a nice cheap trip!

I just went to dentist yesterday to do 1st vist of a new crown. nearly 2 hours in the chair - and I nearly falling asleeep That is after $2500 enodontist doing root canal!

Blinging my mouth with more gold

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Fascinating. You're one of the very few who can make a trip to the dentist interesting and photo-filled. Well done, and Happy Thanksgiving my friend. Ride on.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a couple of crowns done in Progresso, $150 compared to my dentist $1,000.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
why didn't we get photos of the tooth before and after? no front tooth, ya must have looked ever more like a maniacal Canuck.
Ya - but I SURE could "whithle... whitthel... witthle,. Oh what the H*ll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
...or saved some more $$... You could have just used JB Weld!

Great Excuse for a nice cheap trip!

I just went to dentist yesterday to do 1st vist of a new crown. nearly 2 hours in the chair - and I nearly falling asleeep That is after $2500 enodontist doing root canal!

Blinging my mouth with more gold
Seems to ME that you just 'blew' a "Great Excuse for a nice cheap trip!" down to Yuma, AZ for a $230 crown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Fascinating. You're one of the very few who can make a trip to the dentist interesting and photo-filled. Well done, and Happy Thanksgiving my friend. Ride on.
Arion - as you KNOW..., when you get as old as WE are - you've gotta take it where you can...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode