Lural highlands ride report - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lural highlands ride report

Friday I headed to the Laural highlands of Pa.nice area with some pretty fair riding.I Started on Rt519 in hickory Pa.519 is a sweeper type road,fun to ride as you can get good flow going on it,unfortunatly they tar snaked the crap out of it in recent times so until the grand PENN DOT repavers get to it its a pick and choose ride down this section of road,I turned on 136 east and things became better quick.136 has turns and views,its a local road thats fun and fast thru mostly farmland.
Entering the foothillson 136

Following 136 to 201 I continued south,note if you ever use 201 avoid the area near the I70 interchange by using RT906 thru Monesson Pa. Where 201 and 70 meet is a non-moving traffic snarl,day or night.I followed 201 to Conellsville,where I took Dunbar road,Dunbar Rd becomes Furnace road and twists and turns all the way to Ohiopyle,its following a stream and quite senic with little or no traffic and a almost new surface.
On Furnace Rd

Furnac road climbs into the Laural highlands Proper,when you turn on Kentuck Road you get rewarded with many senic views and can visit frank Loyd Wrights lesser know Creation Kentuck Knob (Fallingwater is nearby also)
The view from Kentuck Knob

Continuing on Kentuck Rd I opted to visit Cucumber falls,I have stopped here from in the 70's till present day,in the 70;sthe old road crossed the stream on the wonderful one lane bridge,which is no longer in service

The Falls area

I hiked down into the gorge,note its steep and a bit of a workout ,but well worth it IMHO

If you get tuckered out you could stay in one of the fine accomodations avalable :lol:

I departed and stopped in Ohiopyle proper for the manditory ,motorcycle in front of the rapids picture

I followed 381 north out of OP following it to 711 then to Rt130 a sweet hunk of road heading west,often tree covered,its on of those twisty,rollercoaster roads we all seem to love

I continued on 130to Lycippus Pa where it meets rt 982,I took 281 Northward and enjoyed its delights to Derry Pa.,where i took Pittsburgh street ,Pgh stree is a heck of a good ride,twisty and fun,it meets Park road after about 5 or 6 miles,following Park Rd thru keystone SP i stopped for a quick pic.
Keystone lake

I turned onto 981 gassed at the Sheetz and continued north following 981 to 286 west then 380,to 780 crossed the Allegheny river using rt 56 to old 28 then rode another local to me gem Riddle run Road,RRR is a twisty hunk of fun! cutting thru frazer township I followed the yellow belt then the red belt to home,a nice 239 mile ride with a lot of good memories to accomany it

AMA EAA STN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Great pics! looks like a nice day to ride!!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Great Pictures

Thanks for shareing your great pictures. I really enjoying seeing
parts of this Great Country that I have never visited. I love the
photos please keep them coming.
Thanks Again
dmc51

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 AM

I liked the make shift "GPS" on the tank Next time i'll do the same! I cant afford one of em GPS thingies, anyway, i like getting lost ( As long as i have enough fuel to get un-lost )

Great pictures !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode