a few AZ miles under cloudless skies...! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

4Likes
  • 4 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
a few AZ miles under cloudless skies...!

Yesterday was chilly when I started out at about 0945, but NOT nearly as COLD as a couple of days back - my heated jacket liner was on 'Level 2' instead of 'Level 5', as I aimed N towards US 60, then turned E when I joined it. Saw one of those illuminated traffic info signs just before Superior saying that the road (60) would be closed between 0900 and 1030, and again from 1300 to 1430 because of blasting in progress, but as I entered Superior at 1035 the traffic was already moving, so I continued E towards Miami and Globe, stopping for a couple of pics.... BTW - they ARE widening US 60, at least - in several areas.

Just on the E side of Miami is a bow and gun shop, so I stopped in for a visit, chatting w/ the owner. He has a John Wayne Commemorative lever-action rifle for sale, looking unfired, so we chatted about it. Seems it had been a gift from the "Duke" to a local fellow who'd since died, and it was in that gun shop for sale.

As we talked the owner revealed that he had been friends w/ Wayne (who'd lived in the area up till HIS death), telling me several anecdotes of the friendship. Time to head out, so I said my 'good-byes', mounted-up on BIG RED, continued E thru Globe, then turned S onto AZ 77 where I stopped for lunch (stuff I'd thrown into the saddle-bags...) at the top of El Capitan Pass, 4,892' ASL, and took a few pics.

I took several "panoramas" that I'm NOT happy w/ so I took a few more pics facing E. Here's one....

Then I continued DOWN the long hill towards Winkleman, again stopping for a few more pics (and AGAIN - panoramas didn't work out).

A BIT further down that road I stopped for THESE...

Approaching Winkleman I decided to continue S on 77 to Dudleyville to check if the San Pedro River is 'running' like the Gila River is (in Florence, and quite unusual NOW as this pic shows)

but all I saw when I got to the San Pedro was a bit of mud, unlike other times I'd ridden there. This one from a ride in 2014.

I continued W a few miles till I saw where the Freeman Rd had been washed-out, the 'ditch' a couple of feet deep, so then I did a "180", headed back to 77 and Winkleman where I turned onto 177 and N to Superior.

Passing the Ray Mine I stopped for this pic which I'd missed last season when the camera's batteries died,

then this one a mile or two further N....

I arrived in Superior around 1420, the line of vehicles waiting for US 60 to open, stretching MILES to the W, then took my last pic going down from Gonzales Pass into the "Valley of the Sun" surrounding Phoenix.

Arrived home about 1530hrs, 178 miles under BIG RED's wheels for a PDG day!
weljo2001, ATYC, Smiley and 1 others like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-20-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
"Runaway truck ramp two miles." I've yet to figure out how the trucks know exactly where to run away.
Beautiful photos by the way. I'm envious. Had to have been a great ride.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You gave me something to feel better about after brushing the snow off the dog.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Nice weather. So nice.

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
"Runaway truck ramp two miles." I've yet to figure out how the trucks know exactly where to run away.
Beautiful photos by the way. I'm envious. Had to have been a great ride.
Long, fairly steep hill, so I remember at least TWO runaway truck ramps. They seem to be after a fairly straight stretch of road.

Glad you enjoyed the pics - it WAS a great ride...!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing......Great shots Eddie........I went out 2 days ago for a bimble on local roads & purposely didn't take my camera so l could concentrate on riding & not to keep stopping
(I was s l o w enough that day without elongating the ride!)
So, guess what, I saw the most amazing sky with the sun beams coming down horizontally onto the dark lake & it was one of those once in a lifetime type [email protected]!!!!

Note to self; "Take your bloody camera everywhere with you!"

PS, are you in North/South/East or West Arizona?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking good Eddie! Keep em coming.

Whitey
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey Jr View Post
Looking good Eddie! Keep em coming.

Whitey
Good to see that you're STILL alive Jeff, and riding w/ Hammy! (I'm enjoying your '15 ride!)

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode