Member Rides Show off your Versys...

2Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Mount Lemmon near Tucson, AZ

Yesterday I re-rode up the dirt-side of Mt Lemmon, then down the paved side and home, but THIS time I rode it two-up. Total for the day was around 225 miles, and I got 54.5 mpgUS.

Some observations:
I'm NOT sure IF I could have done it on my '15....

I've written that the '15 does NOT liking being below about 4,000 rpm in 6th gear. Pretty OBVIOUS that I didn't ride up the dirt in any gears except 1, 2 and 3, (and MOSTLY in 1st and 2nd) revs in the 2 to 2,500 rpm range, so - MAYBE the new ones will do it, but I don't know...? Certainly my 'elderly' BIG RED did it w/ panache...!

There've been quite a few 'flood-events' on Lemmon over the last summer, and I found that SOME of the hairpins, but ESPECIALLY tight right-hand ones, had SEVERE erosion, so I was 'up-on-the-pegs' for most, trying NOT to let on how hard I was working, keeping it "rubber-side-down". My pillion remarked how confident she was that I had it under-control, and had a lot of fun.

Here are some pics..., starting w/ where we met up.

and that is Mount Lemmon behind BIG RED. Next is a pic of my GPS... (there's a TOTAL of 26 miles of dirt-trail going from 4200' to about 8500', then 9051' at the top of the paved part.)

and a few 'scenics'...

the road (trail?) we had ridden is JUST visible on the right side, of the hills that are just LEFT of the trees near the center of the following pic.

plus a pic taken at the TOP of the dirt (the LEAST gnarly dirt, BTW!!!), just before hitting pavement for the rest of the ride.

I HAD considered the possibility of riding DOWN the dirt, but the possibilities... DEATH, DISMEMBERMENT, LAWSUITS...... kind of helped me decide that the paved route was the better choice, so that's what we did.

At the top we had snow along the sides of the pavement, LOTS of sand for "traction" for cages, and then trucks spraying SOMETHING onto the DRY roads, something that put a whitish color onto everything, so today was time to wash the bike.

GOOD ride...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 11-10-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Way cool looking ride
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
GOOD ride...!
Good to see the Moose ride again!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice Pictures.. Since you are in the rare position of having both gen 2 and Gen 3 bikes at your disposal and have a great deal of experience with them, do you feel the low rpm quirkiness of the 15 can be tuned out with some mapping changes of the ecu? I ask Because my Uly, well i'll say MOST Uly's had the very same condition. It had a ton of torque down low when running right, but was often jerky and just wasn't happy there, I started playing with ECMSPY and after a week of minor adjustments to timing and fueling turned it into a completely different bike, pulled smoothly from 2 grand to redline.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Good to see the Moose ride again!
Thanks, saddlebag, but I hope you're aware that, despite having the same sized moose (meese...?) stickers on comparable bags, it AIN'T the same one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Nice Pictures.. Since you are in the rare position of having both gen 2 and Gen 3 bikes at your disposal and have a great deal of experience with them, do you feel the low rpm quirkiness of the 15 can be tuned out with some mapping changes of the ecu? I ask Because my Uly, well i'll say MOST Uly's had the very same condition. It had a ton of torque down low when running right, but was often jerky and just wasn't happy there, I started playing with ECMSPY and after a week of minor adjustments to timing and fueling turned it into a completely different bike, pulled smoothly from 2 grand to redline.
Ron - I have a Gen 1 and a Gen 3, not a Gen 2. I'm hoping that I'll be able 'tune-out' the quirkiness next spring when I get back N to the GREEN HORNET TOO. At this time, however, ALL I can say is that I prefer the engines in my '08 and the (recently deceased...) '09 for tractability.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:21 AM

Garage
That road (does not really look like a trail to me) looks a lot like FR 106 up to my Mom's house. At 83 she has decided to buy a house in "town". Still I have ridden up there many, many times.

I have an argument with some about what constitutes "off-road". I would say that such a road is not "off-road" rather it is a road.

Unfortunately, I do not get to spend enough time on my bike... I am forced to talk about riding and then go to work the next morning...

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks, saddlebag, but I hope you're aware that, despite having the same sized moose (meese...?) stickers on comparable bags, it AIN'T the same one....

Ron - I have a Gen 1 and a Gen 3, not a Gen 2. I'm hoping that I'll be able 'tune-out' the quirkiness next spring when I get back N to the GREEN HORNET TOO. At this time, however, ALL I can say is that I prefer the engines in my '08 and the (recently deceased...) '09 for tractability.
Yeah, I know your last one was a loss, just enjoy the meese. It is interesting that the engine character has changed so much. Makes me wonder if they got rid of the "mid range cam" that Kawdog goes on and on about.

I was thinking about maybe picking up a Vulcan S next spring. From the review, it sounds like a pretty rev happy engine with none of the low rpm grunt of typical cruisers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4VYIhdP0D4

Edit: After watching again and watching another, I guess it wasn't the lack of low range power, but just the thumping that's missing. This girl says the engine has been retuned for low/midrange. Maybe it kept the beloved midrange cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNYCm7fJUEM

Last edited by saddlebag; 11-12-2015 at 06:30 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

On the news on TV this AM, they showed that the road (paved) up Mt Lemmon is closed due to snow and ice, UNLESS you have a 4x4.

HARD freeze coming tomorrow night, w/ today's high temp at 52F.

ENJOY your warmth in the NE!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:15 AM

Very interesting to have both new and "old" rides to compare. Great area you're in for riding though. I would get a WR250R for the dirt..for when I retire! Enjoy!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker46 View Post
Very interesting to have both new and "old" rides to compare. Great area you're in for riding though. I would get a WR250R for the dirt..for when I retire! Enjoy!
- on the WR250!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
On the news on TV this AM, they showed that the road (paved) up Mt Lemmon is closed due to snow and ice, UNLESS you have a 4x4.

HARD freeze coming tomorrow night, w/ today's high temp at 52F.

ENJOY your warmth in the NE!
Hey, a tire chain on the rear and ski up front, your good to go!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Hey, a tire chain on the rear and ski up front, your good to go!
VERY ...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mt Lemmon another time (by 'cage')

Here are some pics I took at the end of November, while showing Mt Lemmon to my wife (her FIRST time!) in our car. Look at them and just imagine riding thru those curves...!

At the view-point look-out for the Seven Cataracts, there's THIS sign:

and just looking OVER the wall, and DOWN, you see this:

and here's a close-up from the same location....

I guess it WAS "van accessible", but not in a GOOD way....

GREAT way to spend a few hours, EVEN in a cage...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode